Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • interaction with my neighbour this evening
  • dyna-ti

Simple
    buy a drum kit
    Have the wife and baby spend one night at a relatives house.[keep changing the day so the problem neighbours cant adjust]
    have a drum session with a few mates,as back up in case he doesnt understand the 'youll just have to get used to it' retort.

Better still
    A set of bagpipes,because its a known fact that bagpipes sound the same no matter the skill of the musician 😆 😆

hora
    Free Member

I do like the sound of the V8. Mind you I love the sounds of a decent engine much more than a nagging wife or wimpering child:

TimothyD
    Free Member

I can empathise with your situation, with my brother having just become a dad, but 1pm and 6pm are not particularly bad times to be doing things in the non-new-baby-world.

I guess it's possible that you sounded irritated when you asked the bloke's wife if he could be quiet, which is why she said your baby would have to learn to deal with noise, she might have felt like she'd been put on the defensive?

While eating Chirstmas dinner my brother seemed quite keen to keep jiggling his foot up and down on the bar of my chair while his daughter was on his knee, because he thought it was helping her to be at peace. I did want to ask if he could stop the jiggling and see if his daughter was still at peace because it was a bit irritating, but extended family who i'm not related to were round and I didn't want to seem to be making a fuss, and my brother looked pretty tired and like just wanted a bit of peace, and it stopped being irritating once i'd decided it didn't really matter.

While empathising with how important your new baby is too you, and how important it is that it sleeps so that you can do, not everybody has the same understanding of what the implications may be of what they're doing could be, on new babys which may be trying to get to sleep.

Good luck with your new baby, and I wish it a happy childhood. :o)

Cheers
    Tim

TimothyD
    Free Member

PS

If it had been me who'd been asked to keep the noise down, i'd have started being quiet pretty much straight away though.

Tim

hora
    Free Member

OP- your neighbour is normal. My bestmate had arguably the neighbour from hell for a whole year. Put him on sleeping tablets, antidepressants etc.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TJ where did i state i had children (I do as it happens)? and why the need to say that in such an agressive manner? By your logic shift workers should MTFU also, after all its their choice to work shifts isn't it?

BTW I do actually agree that the world does not revolve around my offspring, but its a bit like windmilling your arms around in a crowd saying Im going to walk towards you and if you get hit, thats your lookout! We (parents and brush washers lol) all need to accept that we can't all do what we want, where we want, when we want at times.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I don't know how anyone can live with neighbours. I couldnt…..

C

bigyinn
    Free Member

Given the choice I'd happily live away from everyone in the middile of a large cordoned off field.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I don't know how anyone can live with neighbours.

ChrisE lives in a farmhouse with the nearest dwelling about 200m away. The closest thing he has to neighbours is passing mountain bikers at whom he throws rocks 🙁

ChrisE
    Free Member

Simon,

I only throw rocks at you. The rest call in for tea and cakes…….

bigyinn
    Free Member

PMSL @ ChrisE. just glad you don't have a frozen canal going past your house, you'd never be rid of him!

duckman

I thought that the op had said the guy is revving his engine at 1am.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Not sure if it's been posted before (can't be bothered to read whole thread) but legally speaking the hours in which you should be able to "peacefully enjoy" your property i.e. not be disturbed are 11pm to 7am.

Generally speaking the council won't get involved unless the disturbance is within these times.

I'm currently months into a battle with students next door – getting woken up at 4/5am every saturday and wednesday morning for the last 4 months… takes it's toll after a while..

bigyinn
    Free Member

RRR you're just anti student because you chose not to be one. lol :mrgreen:

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I was a student for 6 years!!

Dan

BSc(Hons) MSc.

🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aaah, but you're not one now are you?!!!
    Lets face it, even most ex-students are anti student these days!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The rest call in for tea and cakes…….

I hadn't realised that was an option – next time I'll hide behind the wall till the others are ensconced :o)

ChrisE
    Free Member

ensconced or probably 'en-sconed" !!

C

Drac

RRR the guy lives in New Zealand.

coffeeking
    Free Member

She says "Your baby will have to learn to deal with noise"
    Am I wrong in thinking that she was a) rude
    b) doing nothing wrong

I'm inclined to agree with her to be honest, they were doing nothing unusual at a perfectly reasonable time of day, their life doesn't revolve around your child. It's very unreasonable to expect your neighbours to be quiet as of your childs bed-time, both legally and morally you have no feet to stand on IMO. 11 at night, sure, otherwise shut the windows and let the kid learn to sleep with noise. All of my siblings slept through housing renovations, hammer drills, car repairs/runnings etc, if you pamper to them too much you'll end up sorry in the long-run! Just my 2p.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

RRR the guy lives in New Zealand.

Oh, oops.. in that case, carry on. Nothing to see here…

bigyinn
    Free Member

coffeeking, i don't think the OP had an expectation they would keep quiet, as he had to ask them. Nothing wrong with asking.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bigyinn – Premier Member

TJ where did i state i had children (I do as it happens)?

Its obvious you do from your attitude – although although my use of "your" was meant in general not in specific. correct – shift workkers need to MTFU. I do. I have never complained about noise when I am working shifts.

As for being aggressive – I really don't think I was. "I don't care about your child" is a statement of fact. They get the same level of consideration as anyone else. ( which from me is a lot = my neighbours have been given my telephone number to let me know if I create excessive noise) You don't become special because you have children.

hora
    Free Member

TandemJeremy is helping me form a Union on my street to deal with errant scabs.

slimtubing
    Free Member

To recap yes 6.30 isn't late, it was more the methodology used, this man can make noise loading feathers onto a pile of marshmallows. It happens so often that after a particularly long period of not sleeping Beth finally went down only to be woken by someone cleaning brushes i felt a polite request might have been listened to, i was wrong, and thus this thread was born.. we are not parents who follow rule books or expect absolute silence but on this occasio she had been fed changed and shoogled for hours but was fighting sleep tenaciously.

br
    Free Member

I can't be arsed to read the whole thread – are you German by any chance and is it because its a Sunday?

slimtubing
    Free Member

Nein, such behaviour would be unthinkable in Baden-Wurtemmburg! I think I omitted too many of the factors of the situation in the OP to paint a clear picture of what really irked me, I can't be arsed doing it anymore now and have had 2 nights kip to mellow, my neighbour's still and probably always be a noisy git but i might just as likely be a bit of a grumpy bollox at times too so the saga will continue until deaths sweet kiss takes one of us 1st. lets call it a day and slag off some beardy Marin riders instead.

project
    Free Member

Ropey Reign Rider, if you keep getting woken up early on a wekend just say thanks to the students for going to work so early, and earning some cash,to support themselves through uni.

Tiger6791

and for my first post I choose this……

Simple, 6:30pm they can make as much noise as they like. If I had been cleaning paint brushes with a pressure washer (sounds like fun and much better than water in a jam jar) and if you'd have asked me to give it a rest 'cos it woke your baby up, I would happily have stopped. Not a question whether you are right to ask or not. The fact is you’re my neighbour, you asked and that's enough. I'll do it another time.

Sometimes people ask you to do stuff you don't like or don't agree with but the reality is that if it's no real hardship just do it and make 'em happy. Good karma and all that hippy stuff. Better to live next door to somebody you get on with than have the stress.

1am rev'ing engines just ain't cricket though. If I was rev'ing engines at 1am and you asked me to stop and I didn't I reckon you'd be quite within your rights to punch me 😀 however if you did punch me then I would call the police and you'd be in trouble not me. Alternatively you could sleep with my wife that would really annoy me and would be quite legal.

PS Check with your own wife 1st (or get someone else to do it if she's proper fuggly that’s what mates are for)

PS Hello all

NZCol

For the record my neighbour is the classic whingeing pom. Not even a kiwi, an uptight retentive knob head.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    correct – shift workkers need to MTFU. I do. I have never complained about noise when I am working shifts.

You don't become special because you have children.
    Firstly aren't you the martyr.
    Secondly, i dont believe any parents have said they are special on here.

Clearly you feel hard done by because you are missing out on all the wondeful freebees that parents get!

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘interaction with my neighbour this evening’ is closed to new replies.