• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • integrated headsets aside from the theoretical issues any reported problems?
  • toys19
    Free Member

You know those headsets where they have no cups, the bearing sits straight on the frame, well I don’t like the sound of them and a few mates have had issues. Does anyone have any experience or know of any reported problems?

toys19
    Free Member

bump for the coffee crew

Marmoset
    Free Member

None over 3 years use on my frames. Just have to grease the things, no visible wear to the ‘cups’ in the frame and no uneven wear on the outside of the bearings to indicate any movement.

toys19
    Free Member

so you have cartridge bearings seated directly on the frame? Is this an mtb? I am looking at a DH frame with a tapered head tube, only the top is this integrated standard..

billyboy
    Free Member

In the bike industry you struggle to get anything to remain “standard”.

billyboy
    Free Member

Some work…some don’t.

Spesh ones on the likes of their Tricoss and related commuter bikes are pretty piss poor in my experience.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

its a cartridge bearing is it not – so the actual bearing is not running on the frame just the outer race seated on the frame instead of in a cup and then the cup seated in the frame

Garry_Lager

CDale use these on the lefty steerer and they’re absolutely fine, used them for years – not tapered but the integrated headset, just a simple cup-like thing and a cartridge bearing.

toys19
    Free Member

TJ yeah its true but have you seen the faces of your cups when replacing bearings?? I dunno I guess its nice to know if you wreck the cup you can replace the headset. I would hate to ruin a frame just because of it, I’m just trying to find out if it has ever happened…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve had a meta 5 with int h/s for a couple of years now.
    The stock one proved poorly sealed and prone to ingress of muck/water.
    Felt rough within first year of use.
    Replaced when new forks fitted.
    Relacement (sorry can’t remember what but think its a CC) appears better sealed and hasn’t required any attention yet.

TJ is correct. OMG – did someone actually say that 😆
    I’ve experienced no issues resulting from being sat directly on frame rather than cups.
    HTH

Marmoset
    Free Member

Yep – cartridges straight into frame, on an MTB. I think I’ve also got one on my road bike, but haven’t bothered to look at it TBH….

Saccades
    Free Member

My 6 year old merida AM frame is fine with them.

toys19
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm decisions..

pdw
    Free Member

its a cartridge bearing is it not – so the actual bearing is not running on the frame just the outer race seated on the frame instead of in a cup and then the cup seated in the frame

Yep, but the cup would normally be an interference fit on the frame, whereas the bearing is just seated. Chris King argues that this allows a small amount of movement between bearing and frame, which will wear the frame (particularly if it’s aluminium). If this happens, there’s not a lot you can do to repair the frame.

I’d be interested to know if anyone has experienced this in practice.

toys19
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know if anyone has experienced this in practice.

That is exactly my point, as far as I can tell the “problem” is theoretical. Because I’ve spent last night and all of today searching for evidence of actual problems experienced and the net is bare..

toys19
    Free Member

So despite there being a feeling that integrated headsets might cause frame damage, and some theoretical issues, I have searched for actual experiences of frame failures and this is the result.

1 ) From forum posts
    stw :3 positives actual experience (some negs but only opinion of the design/concept rather than experience)
    sdh: 1 positive actual experience (some negs but only opinionof the design/concept rather than experience)

2) Emails sent to forum users (mostly on sdh) who have stated they own bikes that I know to have integrated headsets

7 replies , 7 positives.

I cannot find a single report of frame failure…

Please someone prove me wrong?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Maverick have used this approack for years and I am not aware of a single frame wear issue.

My last Maverick was 4 years old and still on its original FSA headset and my current one is 2 years old – both 100% issue free.

aP
    Free Member

The only problem I’ve had with an IS headset is that there was insufficient height between the top of the head tube and the bottom of the headset top cover on my current cx race bike, which has taken some time to identify and sort out. However, now I’ve got a pack of micro spacers, hopefully it’ll be sorted in time for the Bucks Off-road in 2 weeks time. The other bike I’ve got with an IS headset has been absolutely fine for the last 3-4 years.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘integrated headsets aside from the theoretical issues any reported problems?’ is closed to new replies.