• This topic has 48 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Simon.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Insulated jacket for British conditions…
  • simon80
    Free Member

I’m bored of being precious about my current down jacket, so I’m looking at a replacement.
    The top runners are:
    Ran Valiant – waterproof with hydrophobic down.
    Mountain Equipment Prophet – fully synthetic, sort of fully waterproof.

Does anyone have any experience of the above?
    Or in the tradition of Singletrack, recommend whatvyou own!

weeksy

Mine is this.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-hi-vis-warm-cycling-jacket-yellow-id_8369414.html

I’m not sure how warm/hot you want, but this keeps me lovely with just a baselayer on beneath even in the chilliest of conditions.

I bought the crazy luminous thing which is obviously quite easy to see too.

matt_outandabout

Most man made fillings are ok – I doubt you need something for -27 on Everest…

So buy what fits / nice colour.!

That said – I’ve had a few Montane in the past that were ace – proper warm, nice to have a hood.

Currently I’m wearing out a Patagonia Micro Puff that has served well, and mrs_oab is rocking a Patagonia Insulated Torrentshell that is properly waterproof and warm…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just got a cheap Go Outdoors own branded jacket and it’s perfectly fine. In fact too warm for anything less than about zero degrees.

allfankledup

Montane Prism jacket. Routinely used with just a merino T for walks at or around freezing. Nice big hood, light, fits under a waterproof. If moving around too much then it can get too warm. I love it – great jacket for what I do.

As per MattOAB would look at NanoPuff/MicroPuff – but Montane were cheaper than Patagonia (surprise!!)

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got alpkit one I like. They’ve updated it and I forget the new name. Always been impressed by Montane as well.

I bought a £30 craghopper one which is great for post riding, setting up cx courses, going to the stables. No worries if it gets shredded by accident.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i like my north face primaloft

the best thing about it is absolutely minimal stitch through meaning minimal thin areas..

ok its not as fashionable as maximum stitch through that everyone wears on the high street BUT it works.

equally had you not said “insulated” and just warm and suitable for uk conditions then id have said Buffalo active shirt- practically live in mine when im in the uk.

lyrikal
    Free Member

I’d avoid anything with hydrophobic down if you want to avoid being precious. They might cope with water a bit better but not much and you still have the issues with washing them.

I have a coat obsession so have tried quite a few. If it’s a warm, robust and hard wearing Jacket you want it’s hard to look past a buffalo or montane extreme.

For a bit more socially acceptable, coats with primaloft fill and a pertex shell are great. The newer down like fills with baffle construction are nice but the sewn through construction doesn’t cope with rain as well as the likes of a montane prism. That said, when they are wet they are still warm.

I found an eider primaloft jacket in tkmaxx that I use as my every day abuse jacket. I’ve put it on straight out of the washing machine and it was warm and dried on me in a very short time.

marcus
    Free Member

+1 for pile & pertex or primaloft for UK conditions

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I had a classic North Face and always found it way too warm in the UK, Currently have a Finnesterre primaloft that’s not nearly as warm and a lot more practical.

If you’re looking for something you don’t want to worry about Uniqlo stuf looks amazing value – good looking jackets for £60 and you can pick them up at a discount a few times each winter

jimmy

+1 for montane prism. Useful over a wide range of temps, easy to wash, just very good.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d recommend going on Sport Pursuit and finding one of the Scandinavian manufacturers down jackets at a bargain price. That’s what I’ve got – a Bailo (lovely jacket but a bit fragile) and a Kilpi (warm as you’ll ever need and very well made).

Kahurangi

I’m a big fan of my Pertex & Primaloft jacket for everyday wear. My MacPac one is wearing a bit thin and cold now, mr Mrs just replaced hers with a Rab (Nexus?), which is much better but and not v expensive (£108 at Go Outdoors last week).

Obviously they don’t pack away as small as down, but what use is this jacket for?

jsync

Montane prism here too.

footflaps

Or in the tradition of Singletrack, recommend whatvyou own!

Patagonia Nano-air – lovely and soft, super stretchy but not good in rain. Nicest to wear by miles.

Arcteryx Atom series, AR is a good all round jacket for UK weather. LT is also good, but side panels let wind in. SL is my go to summer jacket.

Alpkit Heiko – nice medium weight jacket. Fits me very well. Not super thick.

jakd95
    Free Member

Montane Prism too, love mine! Nice balance of being warm but not too warm.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For all year round. I’ve got a Patagonia nano air, but for fashion wear only, it’s a bit too nice for using in anger. For that, I’ve got 2 Macpac primaloft lightweight jackets which pack into their chest pockets, for walking, climbing, MTB etc.

Winter only. I’ve got a Mammut rime pro. I think it’s reasonably shower proof.

I only ever buy hooded insulated jackets, don’t see the point of ones without a hood.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I got one of these a couple of years back. Flipping great. Very basic but warm, cheap and light. They only have XXL left though but at £24…

Cotswolds

ElShalimo

Max warmth for not much cash is probably a Keela Belay jacket. They are very warm. They used to be about £40 but now are about £75 as they use posher Primaloft. Well worth looking at

dragon
    Free Member

Montane Flux here, which is replacing a Haglofs Barrier III that is wearing out after 4 solid years usage. Not a huge difference between the two, Montane has more pockets, both do exactly what I want and I’d recommend both.

footflaps

For all year round. I’ve got a Patagonia nano air, but for fashion wear only, it’s a bit too nice for using in anger.

The most comfortable jacket / fleece I’ve ever come across, but I agree to nice to get dirty!

richmtb

Another Montane Prism wearer here, great jacket. Take a look at the Montane Flux if you are after some thing a little warmer

mark90
    Free Member

+1 (or whatever we’re up to now) for Montane Prism. It’s my go to jacket for 9 months of the year.

Have an older North Face down jacket, but it’s rarely cold enough to wear it in the UK.

scotroutes

I have two Prisms now. I’ve looked at alternatives but there are little touches and features I really like, things like the fact it stores in its own pocket, the wired peak on the hood and the reflective patches on the shoulders.

I always have one when bikepacking. It’s usually the first thing unpacked when I stop and the last thing packed away in the morning.

dragon
    Free Member

Don’t they pretty much all store into their own pocket, certainly the Haglofs Barrier III does and I thought the RAB ones did as well.

benp1

I now have 0 down jackets, although I have about 4 down vests

At last count I have 7 synthetic fill (mainly primaloft) jackets, different fill weights and styles for different uses (I should probably sell a couple really). Plus 4 synthetic fill vests

For me, UK conditions say a synthetic set up works best. To be honest, go to a shop and try them on for fit, they’re designed for different purposes (belay style, short, long, hood, cuffs) and pick the one that fits you best. Cutting down the wind has the biggest benefit, I find something in the 40g-60g fill rating to be the most versatile, and can be layered easily

BadlyWiredDog

Max warmth for not much cash is probably a Keela Belay jacket. They are very warm. They used to be about £40 but now are about £75 as they use posher Primaloft. Well worth looking at

Also hideous and badly cut. Same weight of insulation in the sleeves as the body, so they can restrict arm movement. I’d spend a little more for something a bit nicer unless you really don’t care.

Personally, unless you’re budget restricted, I’d suggest going to a shop and trying on a bunch of synthetic-filled jackets until you find one that fits you and is about the right level of warmth.

The ME Fitzroy is a pretty good all-round UK mountain insulation option and I’d buy that rather than the Prophet unless you’re genuinely planning on sitting around on soaking wet belays under melting ice falls and the like.

Hydrophobic down is okay and better at recovery when soaked than untreated down, but still loses a fair bit of loft when damp, but really down scores by being lighter and loftier per gramme than synthetics. If that doesn’t matter to you, then there’s not much point to it.

For active use, Rab’s Alpha Direct thing is brilliant, but not as warm as down-type synthetics. But pretty much choose a synthetic, any synthetic would be my take. Not TNF Thermoball though, the fill may be equivalent to medium loft down, but the quilted construction means it’s not very effective in real life. Ditto Patagonia Nanopuff, which for some reason best known to Patagonia, has all the seams on the outside which again reduces efficiency.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Rab Generator (if they still do them) primaloft and warm when wet but not very water resistant and the shells very very thin/tearable.
    For bombproof use (but can be too warm if you leave it done up, so undo the relevant breathing zips) Buffalo Special Six. My oldest one is 20 years old and still going strong and super warm and comfortable and warm when wet.
    I’ve also got a Buffalo Tech Lite cycle shirt which has the thinner fleece like lining and thin gauge pretext outer. It’s okay when riding but at sub zero with windchill if I had to lay and wait for rescue it’s too thin.
    In those sub zero with windchill conditions I wear the Rab Generator.

simon80
    Free Member

Thanks forvthe replies.
    I’m looking for something lightish but wsrm. It will be used for walking with the kids, emergency layer during walking/biking stops, post ride warming and mooching to the shops.
    Currently have a Rab neutrino endurance which is 600g, very warm and hackable but fragile.
    The Rab valiant seems to be the same weight and completely (?) Waterproof. Though it might not be as warm but a good compromise.

kormoran
    Free Member

Arcteryx Atom series, AR is a good all round jacket for UK weather. LT is also good, but side panels let wind in. SL is my go to summer jacket.

Currently on my third Arcteryx Atom Lt, they are exceptionally good if they fit you. I use it all year round, with a layer system for winter. Jackets 1 and 2 are used for work and are proving indestructible after 5 years on building sites. All detailing, zips etc are as new. If you snag the material it won’t tear.

The AR version mentioned above is awesome if you want a warmer jacket

They are expensive at full price but are good value considering the longevity. Plenty of deals about though.

I was impressed with the Rab Alpha direct in Tiso’s, but it is massively overpriced I think. Some scathing opinions of Rab customer service on UKC are off putting too. Shame.

timber

Got a Buffalo for days when I’m stood around counting stuff or talking/being talked at. Very toasty, even just over a t-shirt, which is all I need for the indoor part of those days.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Local shop has ME skyline for a decent price so I got one. (plus it actually fitted well, which is uncommon). Enjoyed wearing it today mooching round the shops.

jimjam
    Free Member

simon80 – Member

I’m looking for something lightish but wsrm. It will be used for walking with the kids, emergency layer during walking/biking stops, post ride warming and mooching to the shops.
    Currently have a Rab neutrino endurance which is 600g, very warm and hackable but fragile.
    The Rab valiant seems to be the same weight and completely (?) Waterproof. Though it might not be as warm but a good compromise.

There have been a few (dozen) threads like this recently but good luck finding them with the search I suppose. Like you I’ve got an ME Lightline that never gets used – too precious/too warm. So I bought a Mountain Equipment Bastion and haven’t looked back. Warm enough just over a tee shirt for most of Autumn / Spring and fine over a hoody or power stretch mid layer when it’s colder.

I liked it so much I bought another which is heavier and warmer, but borderline too warm – they changed primaloft to polar loft and more of it. So then I bought a Montane hi-q Luxe which uses primaloft gold and is a perfect cut for me.

I spent Monday putting my polar loft ME to the perfect Irish weather test. 6 hours outside in 3 degree temps, heavy showers and gales. It performed perfectly.

sargey2003

Given the current temperature outside (about -2 where I am) I’m trying to get my head around the idea of a jacket that is too warm (if not moving & generating heat, in which case I get it…)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i have a 3 or 4 year old montane prism, blue size L for sale, £25 posted. only selling cos it’s too big for me now, i replaced it with a smaller one!

CountZero

There’s some interesting things being done with asymmetric baffles and such these days, have a shifting through this lot: https://gearpatrol.com/2017/11/17/best-down-jackets/
    Some are pretty pricey though, and some may be difficult to find in the UK.
    The Jöttnar gets a good review, and I personally love my Fenrir jacket, but the price has gone up for the 2018 range, although it has been updated in some areas from last year. Mine has been worn in pretty heavy rain for several hours with minimal soak-through.

simon80
    Free Member

I went and tried on the Rab Valiance in a shop yesterday – big mistake!
    I took off my current down jacket and put it on.
    It felt mega. Slimmer fit (good), tougher and the stuff bag in the pocket shows it packs down pretty well.
    So I now have a new jacket 😆

simon80
    Free Member

Xherbivorex you got PM. Can’t have too many coats 😉

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    …equally had you not said “insulated” and just warm and suitable for uk conditions then id have said Buffalo active shirt- practically live in mine when im in the uk.

Agree. When it’s cold and it is or may be wet, there’s not much better for keeping warm.

Big zips down the side mean you can dump heat if you need to, which is handy if you have a big climb.

I haven’t tried the Montane equivalent, but it looks similar but nicer detail.

matt_outandabout

Montane Extreme – the thicker pile/pertex I find too warm if moving, I dislike the ones with protective patches as they stay damp. This is the one closest to original Buffalo, better cut, but to complex/extra features for its own good. If you can get one that’s the Light model, it is great.

Montane Krypton – my best ever outdoor jacket in 25 yards outdoors. Like a Buffalo Light shirt in a jacket form, but with varied levels of insulation/wicking inside on different areas. Windproof, showerproof, a touch of warmth, well cut. Mine was even a sample and had under am vent zips , long ones 8) I issued them as staff uniform to much unimpressedness from staff on day 1. By six months in they wouldn’t be parted from them. Please montane make them again….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Insulated jacket for British conditions…’ is closed to new replies.