Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Installing a SSD – please help!
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I was told that installing a SSD into my PC would speed it up a little. So I bought a Sandisk 256GB drive and plan to put the OS and a few programs on to it.

Then I realised I don’t have a clue how to do this 😀

I’m guessing that perhaps the easiest way is to clone the whole HD using whatever prog I can find for free, then delete everything apart from the OS and progs?

Any tips explained in laymans'(numptys’) terms, or cloning software suggestions, would be very gratefully received, ta!

Clobber
    Free Member

Clone the HD, did it not come with cloning software?

user-removed
    Free Member

Oh I dunno – haven’t fitted it yet! Wanted to do a spot of research before just diving in – there may be software on it – I’ll have a look.

Is it really as easy as just cloning the whole thing, then chucking the stuff which doesn’t need to be on there? I have a horrible feeling I’m going to bugger my machine up…

poonprice
    Free Member

Personally, To see the biggest performance gain, i’d do a fresh install of OS and Apps. PCs always run faster after a clean install. I’d also leave the old HDD in to store some of the larger files that I didn’t access regularly. If you don’t have the installation media for Windows, clone the HDD then run a system restore.

GeForceJunky

Do not clone the HD, windows optimises itself when you install it on a SSD. Do you have the windows and driver install disc that came with the pc. Plug in only the SSD, tell the bios on startup to boot from CD drive in insert windows disc and follow instructions. Install windows n stuff then plug the other HD back in a sort out what you want to keep and delete.

Drac

I’d do a fresh install rather than drag a clogged up copy of windows onto a new Hard Drive.

poonprice
    Free Member

user-removed,

If cloning just make sure you get source and destination the right way round 😀 If doing a fresh install, disconnect the original harddisk (to prevent cockups and allows you to fall back to it), add SSD, install windows, re-connect original HDD and copy your data across, when happy wipe the original hdd.

leffeboy

If you don’t have the installation media for Windows, clone the HDD then run a system restore.

That. I’m not sure that you get installation media any more so the simplest way may be to clone then either do a system restore or a factory recover if you get that option. A factory recover is likely to give you the best results

If this is a lappy of course then you might need some sort of caddy to hold the new HDD while doing the clone 🙁

user-removed
    Free Member

That’s loads of very good advice – thanks to all! It’s a desktop running Windows 7 and I’m almost 100% certain I did get a physical installation disc, so I’ll dig it out and have a crack at this tomorrow.

Cheers again!

tony24
    Free Member

If you don’t might be best just to buy an oem copy of Windows 7 for it as a fresh install is the best way. no point in paying out all that money for an ssd then not getting the full potential out of it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

If you have your activation key, this site may be of use to get an install image. No idea if the links are still live, TBF.

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Installing a SSD – please help!’ is closed to new replies.