Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Industry nine vs dt swiss
  • shipton47
    Free Member

I’m about to order new wheels for a hard tail that I am building up. I’m looking at either dt Swiss spline 1 ex1501 or industry nine enduro s wheels and trying to gather options as have little knowledge of industry nine wheels.any opinions would be appreciated.

honourablegeorge

I’ve seen it suggested that Imdustry Nine are built for the California winter.

Not seen many complaints about DT Swiss.

alextemper
    Free Member

DT Swiss are no fuss, pretty light weight and very reliable. Had no problems with sets I’ve owned at both ends of their range. Currently have some I9 torch hubs and been good so far after 6 months. Bit more bling, noise and engagement is very quick.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that the answer to this kind of question is always … DT Swiss. My 240s hubs are 10+ years old, have had 3 different axle standards in the back one and 2 in the front, they have only just had their 3rd set of bearings put in, you can pull them apart by hand for cleaning/re-greasing the ratchet mechanism which you don’t have to do very often.
    They are pretty much bombproof, why would you get anything else.?!

Northwind

As far as I can tell Boost hubs were invented purely because since no DT240S hub has ever died, and the used supply went through the roof when 26er wheels were abolished, manufacturers calculated future saturation levels and realised that after 2024 nobody would ever buy a new hub again. Drastic action was needed.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

What is the free hub sound like on the DT’s? Fancy a pair, but hate the noise generated by some hubs.

hatter

The 18 and 36 tooth ratchets are pretty quiet if properly looked after, they only tend to get louder when they’re running a bit dry and could use a clean and re grease.

The 54 tooth ratchets are a bit noisier (more of a ‘zip’ noise than a pawl hub ‘click’) but none of them are obnoxiously loud.

[video]https://youtu.be/qidu3rvJqCA[/video]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What is the free hub sound like on the DT’s?

More subtle than most. Certainly nowhere near the skeleton having a w**k in a biscuit tin noise that Hopes make. 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The 54T seems to be louder than the 36, but it’s a nice muted buzz when it’s got fresh grease in.

Not a fan of the loudness of Hope, so it’s very peaceful by comparison.

hatter

skeleton having a w**k in a biscuit tin

I desperately need to crow bar that into a conversation.

joemmo
    Free Member

yeah I’ve got Hope Pro2 on one bike and DT 350 straight pull with a 36t ratchet on another. The DT makes a nice buzz but it’s not really audible above general trail noise. The Hope however can be used as a warning device simply by pedalling backwards. DT spares are not particularly cheap but seem widely available and the fact you can pull them apart by hand to service is useful.

It’s not clear from the spec sheet of the ex1501 what hubs they have – might assume they are 350s or 240s but worth a check.

Daffy

My I9s needed bearings almost as often as my Hope hubs did (about once per year and also went through pawl springs quite fast.

H1ghland3r – Member
    I’m pretty sure that the answer to this kind of question is always … DT Swiss. My 240s hubs are 10+ years old, have had 3 different axle standards in the back one and 2 in the front, they have only just had their 3rd set of bearings put in

The real answer is Chris King – mine are 13 years old and have needed no new parts whatsoever. They too have been QR, 135*10, 135*12, 142*12.

LeeW

Chris King are good but a fair bit heavier than DT Swiss aren’t they?

Northwind

joemmo – Member

It’s not clear from the spec sheet of the ex1501 what hubs they have – might assume they are 350s or 240s but worth a check.

I’m not sure they’re really either, some of the DT wheelsets are basically 240/350 internals in a different shell

joemmo
    Free Member

I’m not sure they’re really either, some of the DT wheelsets are basically 240/350 internals in a different shell

At first look I thought they were the pawl based hubs but they do use the ratchet system. Like you say, might just be a different shell.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I find Chris King need a bit more care than DT. Sweamrs had some CK hubs and the rear needed service and careful tensioning otherwise the free wheel got a bit sticky (I’m sure there is a technical term for that). In comparison the DT needed less service and that servicing was easier with no special tools required.

hatter

The 1501’s use 240 hub internals with a 36 tooth ratchet, the hub shells are lighter than stock 240’s and only used on the Spline 1’s and the carbon complete wheels, you can’t get these exact 240 hubs separately.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I find Chris King need a bit more care than DT. Sweamrs had some CK hubs and the rear needed service and careful tensioning otherwise the free wheel got a bit sticky (I’m sure there is a technical term for that). In comparison the DT needed less service and that servicing was easier with no special tools required.

This.. I’ve got a set of 10+ year old Chris Kings too and although they work perfectly they are more delicate in the adjustments and oil needed to keep them running properly. Don’t get me wrong, now that I’ve discovered that the axles can be switched out to current standards (they are the older DiscGo hubs) I fully intend to keep them and switch them into a new build, but the DT’s just keep on truckin’ so well you forget they are there.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The EX/XM/XR use a Spline shell, which is 240S internals from memory. You can use the 240 adapters on them

Some other hubs (high end stuff like the XMC’s) use a special 240S hub, but is essentially the same with a slightly fancy design on the outside & a bit lighter.

njee20
    Free Member

Another +1 on this. I was pretty disappointed with my King hubs. They were a totally different colour to the headset they allegedly matched, they weren’t that light, loads of drag and needed a lot of fettling to keep working nicely. Conversely 240s just work.

benpinnick

The 2018 EX/XM/XR use the same hub now as the XMC. Incase you were interested.

shipton47
    Free Member

Have ended up ordering the spline 1 ex1501, think the final thing was ease of service and that just get on with the job. Think will miss the noise of my hopes though.

Daffy

King hubs take almost 500miles to bed in properly during which they will need gentle fettling, but all you need for this is a 2.5mm and 5mm hex driver. You don’t even have to take it off the bike. After 500miles they shouldn’t need any adjustment if they’re torqued correctly. They should, by this point have similar drag to a Shimano hub. Mine certainly do.

jruk
    Free Member

Love my ex1501s but you can’t fix them with a hammer like Hopes. Would probably go for ex471s on Hopes if buying again.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Love my ex1501s but you can’t fix them with a hammer like Hopes. Would probably go for ex471s on Hopes if buying again.

I think the big difference is you probably won’t need to fix the DT’s, so no need for hammers.

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t even have to take it off the bike. After 500miles they shouldn’t need any adjustment if they’re torqued correctly. They should, by this point have similar drag to a Shimano hub. Mine certainly do.

Mine needed fettling every few rides for thousands of miles. One bearing seized totally. Yes, ok, I could rebuild it, but I’d rather not have to. They also needed the proprietary tool to sort the preload (no 2.5mm Allen Key). I believe R45s are better, but I’m not buying another pair to find out!

Northwind

jruk – Member

All the bearings but one you can fix with a hammer. That one needs the pain-in-the-cock special tool, but you have to weigh that up against the fact that you’ll have changed all the bearings in a Hope hub probably 4 or 5 times, before you have to do that DT bearing once- it’s sealed like a duck’s arse.

(not so good with 350s btw, one of the spec differences is cheaper bearings)

I’ve nothing against Hope for what they are- solid, slightly too expensive midrange performers. They’re not competition for a DT240. Not on longevity, performance, but of course not on price either so it’s fair enough, DTs and Kings are stupidly expensive. They do the same job pretty differently

Daffy

I’ve probably had 15 sets of CKs and never had a jot of bother, but yes, for the QR hubs, the preload is sorted via a specific tool. For all the TA hubs, it’s just the 2.5mm key.

I’ve currently got 4 sets of ISO disc hubs, 1 set of ISO B disc hubs and 3 sets of R45D hubs. They range from 13years old to 3weeks old.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Just ordered a set of DT E1900 from Bird for £190. Comes with tape and valves for tubeless too!

https://www.bird.bike/product/dt-swiss-e1900-wheelset-standard-shimano-freehub-1960g-142×12-100×15/

Let’s see if that damn Magic Mary goes up on these wheels!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Industry nine vs dt swiss’ is closed to new replies.