• This topic has 112 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bol.
Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Incredible iPhone queues
  • GrahamS

Mmm hi ho. We'll see what the outcome is.

If it is genuinely a design issue then it is certainly a bit of a black eye for Apple.
    Gizmodo reporting suggests only certain batches may be effected as they went out without the protective coating on the antenna, which would make sense.

jam-bo

meh. if its faulty i'll get a replacement phone under warranty.

if you don't like it, don't buy it…

crikey
    Free Member

I'm not really gloating, I appreciate the whole IPhone thing, although I don't prefer it over Android, but it is a bit strange that the phone got to the release stage and has what appears to be a pretty basic problem.

Ho Hum. I'm still waiting for a Hero Orange upgrade…. 😉

jam-bo

not really. you would expect a certain percentage to be faulty in some way. its inevitable and unavoidable. apple will deal with it via warranty/software and the fuss will die down.

with such a high volume of units out there even a 0.1% fault rate is a lot of units.

CountZero

If all it takes is a cheap rubber surround, which will help stop the glass getting scratched by putting the phone down on gritty or sandy surfaces, then I don't have a problem. Even painting the steel with clear nail varnish would work. The yellow blotches that some have reported, in case no-one else has read it, is due to a bonding agent used on the glass face not having time to properly cure. Several people have updated after they noticed the yellow disappeared after a short time, and I read a post by the guy who actually sold the bonding agent to Apple saying the same thing; the demand has meant phones being shipped while the screens are still curing.

Jamie
    Free Member

If all it takes is a cheap rubber surround, which will help stop the glass getting scratched by putting the phone down on gritty or sandy surfaces, then I don't have a problem.

I personally would not be happy with that. Should work without having to use a case, do not use one for my 3G so and do not want to be forced into using one when i eventually get a 4.

…saying that the whiners are always the loudest on the interwebs so it may just be a skewed view of the problem.

GrahamS

Even
    painting the steel with clear nail varnish would
    work

Which from some of the coverage I read was basically the intended design.
    At least one Apple CSR was reported as saying that some batches of phones were missing a coating over the steel.

GrahamS

Incidentally a mate of mine got hers today and cannot reproduce this. Gizmodo have videos of folk NOT producing it despite wet hands and funny holds.

So it may well turn out to be a "Friday afternoon" batch.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

And equally most other phones don't attract the premium when sold on. Original 3G (not the 3GS) iPhones still sell for around £200 second hand whereas the N95 only gets around £100…

and HTC HD2 are going easily £200-280 on ebay second hand.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and HTC HD2 are going easily £200-280 on ebay second hand.

But that is a current phone so can't be compared to a 3G or N95. iPhone 4s are going for £700 on Ebay.

jam-bo

Incidentally a mate of mine got hers today and cannot reproduce this.

neither can I or the other two in my office who now have them.

Impressed with o2 finally, ordered last night at five-ish. delivered by DHL this morning at half ten.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My business partner is waiting for his to turn up – he is like a kid on Christmas Day whilst being left in the sweet shop.

I just wish it would turn up so he will shut up.

Then when he has tested it and it all appears to work, I might get myself one. 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

3G or N95

Which aren't really comparable either, given there was over a year between them. 2g iPhones go for roughly the same as an n95 and came out at the same time. That is a better comparison. Unfortunately, due to Nokia not bringing out anything that didn't suck since then, there is no real comparison between fancy nokias and iPhone 3g / 3gs.

neither can I or the other two in my office who now have them.

It'd be worth going to a low signal area to check – it's not going to make a difference if you're in somewhere with very strong signal (like in a city centre, or right near a mast), as even an attenuated signal will give you all the bars in a very good signal area.

Joe

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

2g iPhones go for roughly the same as an n95

Fair point on that one.

Still the iPhone 4 trumps the HD2 😉

GrahamS

It'd be worth going to a low signal area to
    check – it's not going to make a difference if
    you're in somewhere with very strong signal

The videos on Gizmodo appear to show the signal dropping from a full five bars down to "Searching…"

highclimber
    Free Member

12 hr+ queues to get a broken phone – MUGS!

jam-bo

12 hr+ queues

your right.

ten minutes on the phone and it got brought to my desk by our receptionist. and its works.

joemarshall
    Free Member

The videos on Gizmodo appear to show the signal dropping from a full five bars down to "Searching…"

Yeah, but five bars can cover quite a range of signal strengths (from something like 100 – 50 dbm on my phone shows up as full signal), so if it is already at the high end, like if you're in a city, it'd have to drop massively to get below all five bars.

Joe

seven
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I feel like I own that teeshirt I have seen that so many times…

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Still the iPhone 4 trumps the HD2

not in my book it doesnt. 😛

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

not in my book it doesnt.

I meant in how much you could get for it on Ebay, that's all.

bol

I'm very chuffed with mine, having had a day to play with it. None of the issues referred to elsewhere. The screen is incredible and it is really quick. The only downer I've noticed so far is that the Profanisaurus ap doesn't work. I'm sure it won't be long til it's updated though.

Incidentally, I had a look at some of the htcs, sonys and nokias in the shop (albeit dummies) and they all felt really cheap, bulky and fiddly by comparison. I found something that made me thing of them:

jam-bo

Well. Had mine for 24hrs now. Very happy.

Camera is really good, video is pretty good. Display is amazing.

I can recreate the signal drop if I hold my phone in a very unnatural way. In real world use it's absolutely no problem at all.

It's nothing radically new if your used to an iPhone but still a very welcome upgrade. And it didn't cost me anything either.

jam-bo

And the battery life is pretty good too, but my opinion on that may be skewed by the battery on my 3G being goosed.

Milkie
    Free Member

Just got back from Phones4u, walked in with a 3GS, walked out with a iPhone 4 & £41 in my back pocket. 😉

Now just waiting for the damn thing to be activated!

jam-bo

Turn off it off and on again.

Milkie
    Free Member

Tried that loads of times now. Hopefully there isn't a problem!

clubber
    Free Member

How long did you have left on the contract Milkie?

edhornby

obviously everyone who works for apple is right handed…

Milkie
    Free Member

How long did you have left on the contract Milkie?

5 months. Phones4u gave me £220 for my 16gb 3GS, without charger and stuff.

Still waiting for activation. C'mon! 👿

bol

I've heard it has taken some people 24hrs to be activated. Even after their old sim has been deactivated.

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Incredible iPhone queues’ is closed to new replies.