• This topic has 112 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Incredible iPhone queues
  • bol

The signs weren't good yesterday when carphone warehouse emailed to say they didn't have any stock for east anglia. Still, I thought if I got in to town at about 8 the queues wouldn't be too bad. I was wrong. Well over a hundred people standing outside the apple store, and not many less outside o2. That said, I wandered over to phones4u who bizarrely had no queue and several 16 and 32gigs left. So all I've got to do now is wait for them to get through on the phone to the network…

Yes, I guess I am a bit of an iPhone fanboy, but only because it's so excellent to use. Not quite sure why, as a grown man with more important things to worry about, I am sitting here waiting to buy something so very similar to the phone I've already got.

And I'm so bored I've chosen to set myself up for the usual STW abuse…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sits and waits for some comedy replies …

warton
    Free Member

I'm going to hold off for a bit. I'm with three who haven't released their tariffs yet so I'm going to leave it a month and see how the land lies once the fuss dies down. I will be getting one though…

IA

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-loses-reception-when-you-hold-it-by-the-antenna-band

would worry me a bit about the iPhone4 – looks like you might *need* a case, which would annoy me.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmm….shouldn't Surf-Mat or CFH be posting some hilarious pictures/comments by now?

I am disappointed.

maxray
    Free Member

No problem with early adopters, infact its great to iron out the little bugs.

BUT

people queuing to get one to then rush onto a forum to bleat about it… deary me.. 🙄

bol

I'm not bleating. Just passing the time.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

This phone is hardly ground breaking like the original Iphone, did you take a day off for this?

warton
    Free Member

A big worry if it drops signal when you pick it up! no wonder apple are "recommending" a bumper

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This phone is hardly ground breaking like the original Iphone

Perhaps not but it has left the competition in its wake with its new features.

I'll get one sometime soon when the fuss has died down. Bizarrely I can buy one for less than the 02 trade-in I can get on my 3GS.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've got a iPhone 3GS which is a good toy and a crap phone. Sounds like Apple are trying to sort the latter out with the 4G so I'll be happy to upgrade to one at some point, however queuing to be one of the first to get one is for saddo geeks IMHO.

IA

" I can buy one for less than the 02 trade-in I can get on my 3GS."

Really? Are you accounting for the £20 a month "iphone tax" you pay on the iPhone contracts?

E.g. the service I currently pay £10 a month for is £30 p/m on an iphone contract (and actually less data, but ignoring that).

SuperScale20
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    This phone is hardly ground breaking like the original Iphone

I'll get one sometime soon when the fuss has died down. Bizarrely I can buy one for less than the 02 trade-in I can get on my 3GS.

What has that got to do with queuing up?

Olly
    Free Member

i hear its got a flash and a 5mp camera?

oooooOOOOOooo!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What has that got to do with queuing up?

? I was replying to the post about it not being ground breaking and I was simply pointing out it it has some good new features (which MAY just be one of the reasons why people are queueing up for it). 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

pointless

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What do these good new features do? Do they improve your quality of life?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes – they will make me complete. You must get one too.

😐

warton
    Free Member

What do these good new features do? Do they improve your quality of life?

Doesn't matter if they do or not. we like things, we buy them, no need to come over all high and mighty about it. do 140mm bolt through forks improve your quality of life? do big TVs? do alloy wheels on cars?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

And I'm so bored I've chosen to set myself up for the usual STW abuse…

😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

we like things, we buy them and our brains are made of plasticine which is putty in the hands of steve jobs

warton
    Free Member

we like things, we buy them and our brains are made of plasticine which is putty in the hands of steve jobs

Not strictly true I'm afraid. Never had an iPhone, only interested in this one because it has features (HD video for one) that I'm interested in. But after reports of calls dropping etc, I may stick with my original choice of an HTC.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My mate in the States has one. His comment was "glitchfest"

_tom_
    Free Member

I can't believe the hype of new apple products, even when its just rehashing old technology. I respect the business strategy of targeting stupid people though, it clearly works 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I respect the business strategy of targeting stupid people though, it clearly works

I was going to bite on this. But I did a bit of 'research'

Paris Hilton
    Jessica Simpson

both use Macs 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

/thread 😆

Bimbler
    Free Member

Top geeking here

iPhone 4 Teardown

GrahamS

Bear in mind that most reports will be coming from the States, where the iPhone has always been absolutely crippled by the AT&T network which apparently has terrible coverage, poor speed and regularly drops calls.
    They only recently got MMS there and still don't have tethering AFAIK.

That's been cited as one of the main reasons that Android has overtaken iPhone in the States, but had slower growth in the rest of the world.

It's also the main reason they put a huge BFO aerial in the 4G.

In the UK I generally get pretty good coverage on O2 and I wouldn't say I get more dropped calls than any other phone I've owned. Though I will admit that sound quality can be a little but crap at times, especially if you keep moving the mic away from your mouth like I do.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've got a iPhone 3GS which is a good toy and a crap phone

Can soneone explain WHY this is to me? I have a 3G. It stores my contacts. I can text easily. I can make calls. It has a speaker. Why is that crap?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

Is not at school today. 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

Well just got home with mine… Will wait and see just how much better it is than my old 3G, but early signs are promising anyway…

rootes1

Well just got home with mine…

did you pick up a box of kleenex* on the way home too?

*obviously to clean the screen… 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well just got home with mine…early signs are promising

Im not suprised, your no longer stuck in a queue at an apple shop with a load of brain washed zombies

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Super Scale 20 – Member

New features? What new features are there that haven't already been done before? Anyone would swear that Apple invented Folders, Video Calling and Multitasking (which is still doesn't do properly in the eyes of some).

HD Video recording? Been done.
    5MP Camera with Flash? Been done for YEARS!

I'll give you the screen, but they're not going to be leading the way with that for long in all honesty…

And you might want to look at this and listen out for future incidents of the same problem before you hand over your cash.
    http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/6/24/apple-iphone-4-hit-display-problems/

clubber
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    I've got a iPhone 3GS which is a good toy and a crap phone
    Can soneone explain WHY this is to me? I have a 3G. It stores my contacts. I can text easily. I can make calls. It has a speaker. Why is that crap?

poor call sound quality, poor reception. Not that it's a major issue. Being a phone is a secondary function for mine.

Posted from my iPhone 3gs 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

would worry me a bit about the iPhone4 – looks like you might *need* a case, which would annoy me.

Ouch. Sounds like all their testers had cases (not surprising when you're hanging around in public with the worlds most exciting tech secret in your pocket!).

It perhaps suggests that they have gone too far on the making it super thing / small, so much that they've had to put important electrical bits on the outside of the phone, meaning you need a case, making it as a whole bigger than previous phones. Doh.

disco_stu
    Free Member

😀

kimbers

on the **** with macs front

i see that the guy out of ndubz has a nice new stumpjumper for cruising roaund his estate

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Serious Question, why is the new iphone so much better? I can't see that it does anything more than a HTC Desire but just costs more money and doesnt do Flash ?

Del

Serious Question, why is the new iphone so much better? I can't see that it does anything more than a HTC Desire but just costs more money and doesnt do Flash ?

oooo flippin heck. you've done it now…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Incredible iPhone queues’ is closed to new replies.