Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • if your fed up of cyclists dying on our city streets and want to get involved:
  • qwerty
    Free Member

just because you've had very few / no incidents with HGVs – that could be until you do have one and it turns into a serious / fatal collision, so please don't rest on your laurels

the petition is just one tool in a tool box to prevent cyclist fatalities, educating and looking at being able to train the vunerable cyclist groups is another

the petition is not looking to ban LGV / HGVs, just raise the current standards on essential mirrors / cameras to make them fit for purpose

in an ideal city there would be space for all, unfortunately the reality is we are stuck with the current street dimensions and volume of use – we need to look at achievable solutions to current problems that are only getting worse

ASLs are great if you make your way to the front prior to the light turning green but can encourage cyclists to become compromised by filtering up the left when the front vehicles intention is to make a left turn and the light turns green prior to the cyclist getting into the box

its not picking on lorries, its identifying the vehicle that is involved in the most cyclist fatalities, which happens to be LGV / HGVs

i agree if cyclists and other road users were to climb into the cab of a LGV / HGV and see the blind spots it would enforce respect for these vehicles

(i'm a bit pissed – i hope this makes sense and isn't waffle :?)

DezB
    Free Member

Makes perfect sense and there's certainly no knocking your intentions.

Karinofnine

Hi everyone. Time for me to stick my head above the parapet – again.

I just looked back over this thread and see that I haven't said anything about cyclists being tested and licensed so am puzzled that people are agreeing with me…

On the subject of road tax. I have a car which is taxed. When I'm riding my bike, I'm not driving my car. Should I pay road tax for my bike?

simonfbarnes – if no lorries, how do things get to the shops? I work in Central London, how is my lunch going to get there without lorries? How will cycle goodies get to Evans round the corner? Or to Bikefix up the road? What about the desks, computers, carpets for the office? Millions of people live in London too, they need to shop, furnish their homes – all those things have to get to the shops too. Guess how? In lorries.

Ban anything motorised so that inept, imbecilic cyclists don't bang into them? Shall we wrap lamp posts in foam too? What about kettles? They make boiling water – someone might stick their hand in it. And perhaps we should all play those non-competitive games where nobody loses, and have stablisers on our bikes.

It's very sad when people die but, sadly, death happens.

Life is dangerous, that's what makes it fun.

druidh
    Free Member

qwerty – Member

its not picking on lorries, its identifying the vehicle that is involved in the most cyclist fatalities, which happens to be LGV / HGVs

No – it "happens" to be cycles.

qwerty
    Free Member

No – it "happens" to be cycles.

true – so work with both groups to avoid their meeting 💡

pennine
    Free Member

This subject comes up fairly regularly. As I work for a large distribution company with over 100 44 tonne artics perhaps I ought to try and setup some cyclist v lorry photos showing good and bad positioning. I commute a couple of times a week on mainly main roads heavy with commercial traffic. Generally, the heavies give me plenty of room, and on the otherhand, being a C+E holder, I know when to give them plenty of room too.
    I see quite a few cyclists who, imo, put themselves in danger by undertaking at the wrong place.
    I cringe when I see them creeping up the inside of trucks waiting to enter a roundabout. When clear the truck will move forward slightly and then sweep leftwards with the driver giving a glance to see where the backend of the trailer is. Once the unit turns, the driver looses his vision down the side. A cyclist below the line of his mirrors is now out of sight. Difficult to describe in print, but as mentioned by Crazy Legs, the driver can only look in one mirror at a time. Many more mirrors will only create more blind spots. Having said that, one death is too many.

There is an out of sight cyclist by the side of the cab door. He was riding faster than the truck so came up the inside. The driver was trying to pass between parked cars and a bollard.

qwerty
    Free Member

pennine – the more info the better in my opinion

this work has been done

kukuruza
    Free Member

Here has found yesterday streaming movies

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘if your fed up of cyclists dying on our city streets and want to get involved:’ is closed to new replies.