Home Forums Chat Forum If…you were a traffic cop, what car would you pull and why?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • If…you were a traffic cop, what car would you pull and why?
    ayjaydoubleyou

Audi’s (especially white ones) – just to see if their indicators do actually work

I’ll have you know my Audi is white and I verified my own indicators worked just the other month.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

People’s preconceptions are interesting. I doubt you’d get much of a hit pulling modified cars – most are driven by people who pay through the nose for insurance, complain about it a lot on forums, but nonetheless are fully legit and are fastidiously kept that way. Likewise anyone in a GT-R is pretty unlikely to drive anywhere like a loon as they just stand out too much.

I’d need a whole reem of S59 tickets each shift.  If it pops, bangs or skids it’s going in the book.

Ditto any sort of winglets, and tinted headlamps.

mucked about with number plates.
    I’ve never understood why they don’t get pulled every 100 yards.

The rules changed a couple of years ago, now IIRC it boils down to the plate material has to be reflective, the font correct and no other colours.

Which means 3D plates are in (as long as they’re spaced correctly, and don’t have coloured sides/back to the letters) because the letters are treated like a very thick sticker. And metal plates are also fine as long as they start life as a plain yellow plate, then get stamped and the black numbers painted on.   I’ve got a metal plate on my motorbike as plastic plates on a retro bike just look naff and out of place.  I’ve not bothered with the actual classic MG though ?

The trend round here is no front plates at all, particularly “M” BMW’s.

FB-ATB

Saw a prime candidate today.

BMW with a massive race spoiler, heavily blacked out windows, lowered, driven up the back of the car in front, accelerated rapidly (I was in a line of traffic doing 70) when the road was clear, mis-spaced number plate.

But the ultimate crime to have the car crushed was a sticker on the boot “If you like the way I slide, let me pull ya panties aside”.

Cougar

Anyone smoking

I’m surprised it’s not been made illegal yet.  You get points on your licence for merely holding a phone, but having one hand occupied with something which is literally on fire is perfectly OK?  At least with a vape you’re not going to have a bad day if you accidentally drop it into your lap.  And don’t say it doesn’t happen because it does, I’ve owned cars previously owned by smokers which were resplendent with charred bullet holes in the driver’s seat.

jeffl

That sticker sounds awesome. I need to whack one on his car to annoy him ?

kerley
    Free Member

Anyone smoking

I’m surprised it’s not been made illegal yet.

I am surprised too.  I used to smoke when young and the combination of youth, smoking and being a driving go didn’t always go well.  It is not like smoking is something you have to be able to do whilst driving.

Cougar

It’s surely coming.  When did you last see a car with a cigarette lighter rather than an “accessory socket”?  Or for that matter, ashtrays.

thols2

I need to whack one on his car to annoy him ?

I thought this was a family friendly forum.

poly
    Free Member

how would you determine their nationality from outside the vehicle?

I obviously don’t know where you live , but in the south east of England it’s a constant battle between the council and the travelling community.

But that won’t tell you if they are Irish, Romany, or some other ethnicity…

Plus the Irish number plate is a giveaway.

That would be a clue, but we certainly have travellers round here with British plates.  No idea if they are Irish or Romany and despite local social media claiming there will be a crime wave I’ve not seen much evidence.  They do leave a mess though when moved on… but so do plenty of locals, especially ones who get evicted / don’t feel part of the community!

But hey, at least you’ve not gone all out full on racist like @John Dough: 

that are looking vaguely like home care helpers from an african nation

Thankfully traffic cops have ANPR so they can focus on pulling people who’s paperwork isn’t right rather than racial profiling.

chakaping

I drive a BMW . With blacked out windows.

You still doing 3 bags for £100 mate?

All the drug dealers by me drive completely nondescript cars, basic ford focus, astras ect. So one of those with a couple of lads in would be a start.

Yeah and the guys up the chain drove repmobiles back when I knew people in that world (1990s).

hot_fiat

Doubt many travellers have Irish plates. Road tax in Ireland is extortionate. Oddly though driving standards seem to have gotten worse since the closure of the perpetual provisional licence racket.  My parents fit right in.

soundninjauk

Anyone who parks in front of a dropped curb at a pedestrian crossing.

Admittedly this means they come pre-pulled over, but this should just make life easier.

bikesandboots

I would profile the heck out of everyone based on crime and offence data and facial analysis of previous offenders. No discrimination about it, if the data shows a correlation, or you look a bit like known offenders, you’re getting pulled.

The algorithm would also try random experiments to find new correlations, such as stopping people who drive around with the window all the way down for seemingly no good reason.

mattyfez

Tax revenue… I dunno how much a pack of twenty costs these days, but it’s not pocket change, possibly ties into the 22bn tax thread.. if it was made illegal that’s more billions in lost tax fot the treasury. I’m not saying its right or moral, it’s just maths.

Back on topic though, and being objective… where does one draw the line for, say, driving without due care and attention? I appreciate it’s an emotive subject but a line has to be drawn somewhere… can you take a bite out of an apple whilst driving, remove a drink from a cup holder for a sip? touching the stereo to change radio station? Ban manual gearboxes?

I mean, I think we can all agree that doing your makeup, or eating a bowl of breakfast cereal whilst driving is reckless, as is texting on your phone, etc.

But when you drill down into the issue it’s not quite as clear cut as it might appear on the surface.

poly
    Free Member

Back on topic though, and being objective… where does one draw the line for, say, driving without due care and attention? I appreciate it’s an emotive subject but a line has to be drawn somewhere… can you take a bite out of an apple whilst driving, remove a drink from a cup holder for a sip? touching the stereo to change radio station? Ban manual gearboxes?

I mean, I think we can all agree that doing your makeup, or eating a bowl of breakfast cereal whilst driving is reckless, as is texting on your phone, etc.

Generally where it affects your driving / observation, e.g. weaving, lane position etc.  Changing the radio station or adjusting the heater could but won’t always.  Eating a jelly baby from the centre console whilst sitting at traffic lights almost certainly wont.  This is why the phone rules were created because there was potential ambiguity where there should be none.

Me too – but I’ve also never heard anyone link a crash to a cigarette so maybe there’s no evidence to support it and a strong enough “war on smokers” lobby to resist it.  Not sure when I last saw someone driving with a real fag in their mouth anyway?

I would profile the heck out of everyone based on crime and offence data and facial analysis of previous offenders. No discrimination about it, if the data shows a correlation, or you look a bit like known offenders, you’re getting pulled.

Except there would be massive discrimination about it.  Pretty much every attempt at facial recognition to spot offenders has known biases.  Any attempt to say “well you look a bit like him” would be reinforcing those biases and stereotypes.  Deciding if I might have committed a crime based on my appearance is ridiculous.  I’m not sure what you think a criminal looks like – but imagine if you were stopped regularly because your brother / cousin / some other guy with the same haircut had been caught doing something before.  Meanwhile the guilty party probably only needs a new hairstyle / glasses / facial hair and he’s not going to be matching!

mattyfez

Generally where it affects your driving / observation

‘Generally’ is doing some heavy lifting there, how do you legislate for  ‘generally’? I’m not trying to be difficult but in matters of law you can’t really be ‘general’.

For example…mobile in hand, screen on, OK – cut and dry we can say that’s dangerous. No argument from me, there.

Faffing with a factory fitted touch screen with a slow and rubbish software interface, whilst driving, I’d argue is just as dangerous?

Is one ok and the other not? Should the driver need to be observed to be driving poorly to trigger an offence?

It’s a difficult conundrum, and I’m not saying I have an answer… just pointing out that we can’t have any ambiguitiy when it comes to legislaltion, such as traffic offences, etc.

bikesandboots

Except there would be massive discrimination about it.

Said partly in jest! What however would be wrong about using evidence based discrimination and stereotypes if it results in improved efficiency of law enforcement? Should we accept lower detection in the name of every individual having an equal chance of getting caught?

tjagain

Said partly in jest! What however would be wrong about using evidence based discrimination and stereotypes if it results in improved efficiency of law enforcement?

Because the end result is black kids getting hassled even when innocent.  Black kids get searched much more often but white kids searches result in a much higher rate of offenses found

tjagain

I would love to see zero tolerance roads policing – our roads would soon become very much safer as either car drivers behavior improves or the get banned.  Most car drivers break the law every time they go out

bikesandboots

Because the end result is black kids getting hassled even when innocent. Black kids get searched much more often but white kids searches result in a much higher rate of offenses found

Given that evidence, it would be white kids being targeted.

revs1972
    Free Member

karen in her range rover sport!

I think you’ll find that’s an Evoque ?

mattyfez
    poly
    Free Member

‘Generally’ is doing some heavy lifting there, how do you legislate for  ‘generally’? I’m not trying to be difficult but in matters of law you can’t really be ‘general’.

For example…mobile in hand, screen on, OK – cut and dry we can say that’s dangerous. No argument from me, there.

Faffing with a factory fitted touch screen with a slow and rubbish software interface, whilst driving, I’d argue is just as dangerous?

Is one ok and the other not? Should the driver need to be observed to be driving poorly to trigger an offence?

It’s a difficult conundrum, and I’m not saying I have an answer… just pointing out that we can’t have any ambiguitiy when it comes to legislaltion, such as traffic offences, etc.

Ok but you are conflating multiple different offences:

Driving whilst using a handheld mobile phone; https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/110

tightened definitions of use and what is a phone; its strict and yet people still ignore it.

Careless driving (driving without due care and attention); https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/3

The road traffic act says: “If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.” but goes on to add “A person is to be regarded as driving without due care and attention if (and only if) the way he drives falls below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver.” and “A person is to be regarded as driving without reasonable consideration for other persons only if those persons are inconvenienced by his driving.”

Burden of proof is on the crown to show that the manner of your driving was below the standard expected or you actually inconvenienced someone not just that it “might” have or had the potential to.  (It not actually about danger – thats a different offence and even harder to prove).

Not being in proper control of a motor vehicle.  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/104

This is used for people who can’t see out properly, potentially folk putting on make up, etc.

There are other C&U offences for having video on display etc.

Being distracted by a shit in-car sat-nav could be prosecuted under C&U reg 104 OR RTA s3 depending on the evidence.

A traffic cop once made the characterisation: if you were sitting your driving test and you did something which would cause the examiner to hit the brakes/steer/stop the test – you probably crossed the reporting/charging threshold.    You can probably be prosecuted for anything which is a driving test fail but that can be harder to spot from outside the car and then describe to the prosecutor and the court in terms which are beyond reasonable doubt if required.

alpin
    Free Member

Trades vans as according to the thread on here they all have a basic diet of coke and weed. Stop em every day at 5 or so..

I’m not a fan of coke… Used to drink Dr Pepper instead.

alpin
    Free Member

My dealers in Germany all had normal rep-mobiles…. White BMW, Golf or Passat.

crazy-legs

My dealers in Germany all had normal rep-mobiles…. White BMW, Golf or Passat.

There was a back road in Manchester I used to commute down sometimes to avoid the main drag. Nasty place – rundown terraced houses, knackered cars parked up, old furniture in the front gardens, a few boarded up windows.

And one of the houses had this immaculate white Range Rover parked out the front. Top end, all the blacked out windows, spotless alloys, little bling dust caps.

There may as well have been a big neon sign pointing to the house shouting “MR BIG DRUG DEALER LIVES HERE!”

You got the feeling that while other cars in the road were a fair target for a bit of light vandalism, if anyone so much as looked at that car a bit wrong, they’d be off for a one-way visit to a pig farm.

tuboflard

Based on my commute on the way home today, white van drivers who tailgate you at a couple of feet to intimidate you to get out of the way. **** pricks. Just makes me slow down if anything.

anagallis_arvensis

My mum’s it wasn’t taxed from Dec 2022 until today!

MoreCashThanDash

I would love to see [the resources for] zero tolerance roads policing – our roads would soon become very much safer as either car drivers behavior improves or they get banned

Very much this

mjsmke

Pretty much any BMW, Audi, Landrover/Rangerover.

Why? They were probably driving recklessly, speeding, failing to give way, bullying other road users.

A bit of a stereotype but stereotypes come from somewhere.

dissonance

Anyone whose car sounds like a re-enactment of the battle of the Somme when changing gear/slowing down.

Self explanatory although I would prefer for a counter battery approach.

nickewen
    Free Member

Aye, definitely the stupidly loud pops and bangs bellends. First one I’d pull over would be the monumental tit round the corner in his stupid little Toyota coupe thing, I’ve heard quieter race cars. He must go out in it ten times a day n al. Prick

ThePinkster

Used to drink Dr Pepper instead.

Now that’s reason enough for being pulled, just on taste grounds ;o)

jeffl

I’d be an amazing traffic cop, as I’m a pedantic a-hole. Walking past the shops today, which must be about 200-300 yards I saw the following:

* Car pulling out of off street parking and running a red light.

* Baby on the lap of the mum in a transit van

* Driver not wearing a seatbelt

* Guy navigating a mini roundabout whilst talking on his phone

Off them all the baby on mum’s lap is the most annoying. Do people not care about their kids?

timba
    Free Member

I’d be an amazing traffic cop, as I’m a pedantic a-hole

I resemble that remark :)

singletrackmind

I would love to be a traffic cop . In my imaginary world they would work as a well oiled machine. Unmarked transit van up front , 6 marked vehicles following at intervals behind.
    Running commenrty on the radio on every drive I make ,every day on a 30mph A road would resemble.

Pull the Red crew cab ,driver eating Greg’s sausage roll.
    Pull the Red mini with the window tint and big exhaust and check with a light meter and see if he’s declared a modification on his insurance.
    Pull the Merc sprinter , he’s drinking a coffee.
    Pull the blonde in the X5 , she’s looking at a mobile on her right knee.
    Pull the Honda Civic with a broken headlight.
    Pull the 530d with blacked out windows , as he’s obviously a dealer (that’s me btw)
    Pull the First st , he’s pinged the anpr for no insurance.

Problem is within 2 miles my colleagues would all be writing tickets. So the lead vehicle would have to wait and re group and go again , which might take 15 mins .

People do all the above , all the time as they know they will get away with it.

Plus the total cost of doing that for 1 hour is not recouped in a dozen or so fines.

But eventually after many months people would take getting behind the wheel abit more seriously

jeffl

Ignore me I’m repeating myself ?

mattyfez

But eventually after many months people would take getting behind the wheel abit more seriously

I think that’s the key point..you don’t need to catch everyone, and you can’t even if you wanted to, you just have to catch enough and fine them hard, to make the rest think it’s not worth the risk.

That takes time and consistent enforcement.

Inefficient use of police resources in the short term, maybe, but the long term gain should pay for itself in safer roads genearally, fewer accidents and emergency call outs etc.

I mean just look at drink driving… in the 70’s or 80’s it wasn’t really a thing, but now you’ll be a social outcast in your own peer group if you drink more than a pint and get behind the wheel… it’s almost self policing.

peteimpreza

“I mean just look at drink driving… in the 70’s or 80’s it wasn’t really a thing, but now you’ll be a social outcast in your own peer group if you drink more than a pint and get behind the wheel… it’s almost self policing.”

Sorry to disillusion you , but, this is not the case anymore.

I have noticed a trend in the last few years amongst friends and others observed at pubs etc that is going back to the bad old days. I see lots of people drinking way more than is allowable and getting in vehicles to get home or the next pub. I have also noticed and large increase in drugs becoming part of this dangerous mix.

onehundredthidiot

I’d sit just south of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and pull over every car that smells heavily of cannabis.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.