• This topic has 55 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • If you ride 1×9 …1×10 where do you ride ??
  • GW
    Free Member

how many descents have you walked tho?

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’m using 1×9 on my HT (Renthal 34 – XT 11- 34). I find it works fine for woods, no trail centres around here & I don’t drive. Woods are fairly hard work, the trails I mean, they’re quite rocky & rooty, upy downy.

I had to change my riding style for up hill work, standing on everything. I feel stronger for it too. With the weight I’ve lost off the bike & the look being cleaner I think it’s a good move personally. If you love to sit & spin then I think you should stick with a granny ring though. If your local/frequently ridden hills are more that a 5 minute climb then stick with 22 tooth… 😉

I should also point out that I use Egg Beaters & I’ve used Flatboys. I’ll keep clipped in because I can generate far more power that way by push pull in circles, makes 1×9 far easier.

Peace.

mick_r

As mentioned earlier – ride singlespeed for a bit and then 1×9 or whatever will seem like plenty of gears for anywhere 🙂

I’ve used 32 front with 11-34 in Spanish Sierra Nevada and never got left behind or had to walk. Only put a granny ring on when we had +40kg of kids and trailer to tow off road.

I’ve yet to ride a UK trailcentre that can’t be done on singlespeed, so I can’t see why 1×9 would be a problem. I mostly ride ss in the lakes but need to choose route direction to suit (e.g. back of Skiddaw is OK but descend rather than climb Lattrigg).

Big dilemma is Swiss alps this summer with a new 29er – the riding there is definitely not ss friendly…. I have an Alfine backup plan, but currently making a mech hanger so I can run an 11-32 5 speed setup (8 speed sprocket spacing) on 29er Hope ss back wheel (short body cassette).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mendips here. Managing just fine on a 11-32 cassette and 32T front. Theres not a single climb I can’t do that I couldn’t on the same bike when it had a triple- in fact, I think I’m climbing better by the torque requirements forcing me to even my pedal stroke out.

I’ve ridden Afan, Quantocks, Bristol trails and Snowdon on it too.

I mostly find I don’t have a tall enough gear for some descents, and occasionally if I’ve been out for a big day I get a whisper of complaint from my legs due to the increased power requirements. When the time comes I think 1×10, with an 11-36 cassette and 34T ring should be spot on for me.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

32 ring with 11-36 cassette

les arcs/la plagne area (alps) – plenty of pedaling up hills.

its fine, tbh.

philfive
    Free Member

well did rivi and winter hill today on 1 x 9 and all was fine

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

wish I could push a 36t upfront uber cool !!!!

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

020 by bluerichiepig, on Flickr

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

34t for me

lovetoride
    Free Member

This is something I’ve been considering, what would I need to do it? Curently running double and bash up front.

njee20
    Free Member

Remove inner, front mech, cable and LH shifter, buy chain guide. Done.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Do I need an inner plate to fit to the granny mounts? I assume there are different mounts as I don’t have ISCG tabs?

njee20
    Free Member

Just get a BB or seat tube mounted one, Superstar do both.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Ok, what about the granny mounts, what do I fit to them?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Ok, what about the granny mounts, what do I fit to them?”

Nothing

Keva
    Free Member

36/11-32 on mine. Fine for my local trails and Afan, Cwmcarn.

Kev

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘If you ride 1×9 …1×10 where do you ride ??’ is closed to new replies.