Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • If you had a garage you didn't use, would you..
  • woody2000

Be offended if your neighbour politely enquired about renting it from you? I live on a street where the houses are elevated above the road and we have limited vehicular access. This makes loading the car up a bit of a pain as I have to lug bike racks and the like up and down steps. My neighbour has a garage (of sorts) that is at street level, but she doesn’t use it and it would be ideal for storing bike carriers, roofbox and the like in.

Would you rent to a neighbour? If so, what would be the going rate you reckon?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Shy bairns get nowt.

No harm in asking is there?

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’d not be offended but I’d only say yes if the garage was separate from the house.

br
    Free Member

If so, what would be the going rate you reckon?

My MIL rents out hers (in a separate block), £10 per week.

Although if it was attached there may be insurance issues.

MoreCashThanDash

A couple of friends have done it over the years, don’t know anyone recently to give you a guide to prices.

Local councils and housing associations sometimes rent out garages, that may help you find the going rate?

wrecker
    Free Member

Some (near parking/commuter hotspots) are worth a startling amount to rent!

woody2000

I’ll definitely be asking, but I’m oh so terribly British when it comes to things like this 🙂

It’s separate to the house, not attached (unless there’s a secret tunnel she’s not telling me about!). ~£40 a month was about what I had in mind TBH.

fasthaggis

Go for it,what could possibly go wrong 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

My wife used to ‘rent’ a garage from a neighbour. It was a family member of a friend and for a pretty nominal amount. Worked fine. Round here rent for garages outside the city centre is £50-60 per month. Probably double that, or more, in the nice bits near the middle as it is Victorian terrace with limited parking and some expensive houses.

midlifecrashes

I’ve rented one from a neighbour, years ago, as we had too many vehicles, but we knew it was going to be fairly short term. (Had a car and campervan, started job with company car, but wanted to wait a while before flogging the car in case the new job wasn’t all that). We fixed the door and paid £20 a month, twenty years ago, for about four months. Our neighbour was happy with that deal, but it wouldn’t have been a goer as a permanent arrangement, she would have felt like her property was a bit less of her own, if you know what I mean.

mikey74
    Free Member

You’d need to clarify in writing who would be responsible for the security of the garage, possibly including a clause that says you store at your own risk.

footflaps

Local councils and housing associations sometimes rent out garages, that may help you find the going rate?

Used to be loads near me, all are now new houses…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Although if it was attached there may be insurance issues.

We looked at a few houses with flying freehold over garages, most came with a covenant that they were insured as part of the house and the owners paid 10% of the building insurance with covenants against anti-social use (storing flammable materials, band practice etc). So it’s obviously something insurers are used to dealing with.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Nothing to lose by asking.

nickjb
    Free Member

Used to be loads near me, all are now new houses.

Same is happening here. Lots of small garage plots or larger blocks being bought from the council by developers. They were wasting the resource anyway. At one block I chatted to a resident and he said that most of the occupants weren’t paying rent they’d just started using them. Quite a few were falling down or full of fly tipped waste. Shame.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘If you had a garage you didn't use, would you..’ is closed to new replies.