Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • If you find an injured cat in the road….
  • RustySpanner

Could been meow meow though, come to think of it.

How was it’s, y’know, vibe, did it have a whistle?

curvature
    Free Member

FBK – Well done for making a sensible comment.

I think a lot of the people making comments don’t have a pet or children.

We all grow up, though some later than others.

sweepy
    Free Member

I was under the impression that vets had a duty to give emergency care to any animal brought in after an accident. The one I took the dog I saw run over to certainly did so without complaint.
    If I ever found out that my vet had declined treating an animal under these circumstanses I would find another vet.

bruk

If you pick up an injured cat and take it to the vets then I can’t think of any that would ask you to pay. I regularly see such cases.

Many quite serious injuries can be treated and really the investigation and decision should be left to a qualified person. You can always ring the RSPCA who will offer you advice.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

anyone kills my cat and i will **** kill them – end of! Not a rambo comment, a fact. It has happened to a cat of mine bvefore and if i see the careless **** who hit him, 6 years on, i will stamp on his **** head!

Oh dear. I think somebody’s perhaps had just a leeetle beet too much coffee/booze/crack. 😆 And I think it’s way past their bedtime…

Your comment of ” you should always try” Do you have the skills to identify if the animal has or has not a chance of survival? I know in some cases it would be obvious. If you cannot dispatch the animal quickly and humanely don’t try you may prolong or even make the situation worse by increasing the suffering.

Obviously I’m talking about a situation where you believe, to the best of your knowledge, that an animal will not survive, and that killing it as quickly and as painlessly as possible is the most humane option. I don’t really think a professional veterinary qualification is necessary. It’s an animal, not a person.

I’m talking about when an animal is twitching about, all twisted up, guts hanging out, that sort of thing. not if it’s just got a broken leg or something (unless it’s a racehorse in which case shoot it obviously 😐 ).

Y’know, common sense.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And “strangling”? How is that humane?

Why, how long does it take ?

Do they have time to sing a little tune ?

fbk
    Free Member

I was under the impression that vets had a duty to give emergency care to any animal brought in after an accident.

Yup – we have a duty of care to provide emergency treatment where an animal is suffering. Even if that treatment is euthanasia.

Why, how long does it take ?

Do they have time to sing a little tune ?

That’s poor, even by your standards. And it’s a LOT longer than you’d think, fyi!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i would think hitting one over the head and killing it is most probably illegal!

Now why on Earth would you think that? Is there any actual law which forbids the humane killing of an animal in distress if the only other option is to let it suffer? Really? Care to point it out to us?

Chill, Winston.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it’s a LOT longer than you’d think, fyi

How do you know ?

How long it takes and what I think

mashiehood
    Free Member

can we please close this thread before it gets silly – im appalled by some of the comments on here, truly awful!

fbk
    Free Member

How long it takes and what I think

🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Chill, Winston.

Churchill, Silcott or Smith?

im appalled by some of the comments on here, truly awful!

😕

Eh? ‘truly awful’? Where?

I woon’t take the ‘I’ll kill anyone who even so much as looks at my cat’ type rubbish seriously, if I were you….

Cougar

A friend of mine hit a cat whilst driving

That’s an urban myth / old joke. Either you’re fibbing or your mate was, sorry.

If you take an injured cat to a vet and it’s nothing to do with you, there’s a good chance the RSPCA will spring for the treatment; if there’s a chance you’ll pay for it instead then they won’t.

zippykona

I ran a bat over once. Well it,hit my windscreen.
    It was lifeless or playing dead. I stamped on it just in case. It was really small though.
    knowing my luck if I tried to help a cat it would attack me.

sturmey
    Free Member

I like the “it’s an animal not a person line”. As if it isn’t human it doesn’t matter. Think of the emotions that would run through you if I was to nick your bike. It’s just an object.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

🙄

🙄

supertramp
    Free Member

some useful stuff here, i now know what to do with the cat that keeps s**ting on my drive. Shoot it to put it out of it’s misery!

the misey caused by eating the poisoned cat food under my van 😈

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like the “it’s an animal not a person line”. As if it isn’t human it doesn’t matter. Think of the emotions that would run through you if I was to nick your bike. It’s just an object.

Why do you insist on taking my comments out of context?

Where did I say ‘if it isn’t Human it doesn’t matter’? I place Human Life above the life of any other living thing on this planet. And so, incidentally, do the laws of just about every country on the planet. That does not mean that animals do not deserve decent human treatment, compassion and respect.

As I said before; try to gain a bit of perspective. Try to read and understand what I’m actually saying rather than being selective and only reading what you want to read. Please.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I can remember the demise of my first cat. I was about 6. Cat had been hit by a car and its legs and pelvis were broken. Some kind passer by had found it and brought it to the house. Cat was still alive. He dragged himself over to me and licked my hand as i sat bawling my eyes out. Horrible.

Gary_C

Try to read and understand what I’m actually saying rather than being selective and only reading what you want to read. Please.

Oh the ironing !!

😀 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What ironing?

No, go on. Give it a go.

Can’t? Thought not. Please be quiet now, thanks.

slimjim78
    Free Member

🙄 & 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m talking about when an animal is twitching about, all twisted up, guts hanging out, that sort of thing. not if it’s just got a broken leg or something

Yeah but I bet you wouldn’t have given this poor fecker a second a chance

stevomcd
    Free Member

One of ours has been missing for 4 weeks now. Don’t think he’s coming home. Poor wee bugger. Bonny cat but too thick for words.

Just hope he’s been eaten by a fox or something and it was quick and he’s not wasting away locked-in somewhere (lot of empty property around here this time of year). 🙁

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Well I really wish someone had at least called us when my cat was run over – instead of putting it in a bin bag and dumping it in the hedge!

My GF was once 2hours late home one evening as she stopped to take an injured cat to the vets, having tried hard to find it’s owner’s house. She asked one bloke if he knew who’s cat it was (he was a neighbour, it turned out), but he went off to get his spade to ‘put it out of its misery’.
    Anyway, the vet took it in for free and luckily she found the owners the next day and all was well.

They then tried palming it off onto us a month later when the owner shipped out to Afghanistan!

M6TTF
    Free Member

sturmey – Member
    Didn’t realise so many vets frequented this site? Everyone’s an expert on how terminal the animals injury is.
    POSTED 9 HOURS AGO #

This – if the animal has a collar, call the owner. I’d be more upset if some stranger was finishing one of our cats off too. As elfin said, if their innards are outwards they’re probably not going to make it, but with pet insurance cover, vets will happily rack up several thousand pounds of treatment before deciding whether to pass judgment. (been there)

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah but I bet you wouldn’t have given this poor fecker a second a chance

Damn right. Look at it!

I’ve never come across a cat that needed dispatching but I’ve helped a few rabbits along the way. I guess I might take a different view on that depending on how bad it looks.

I’m waiting for when I find a human twitching by the side of the road.

That’ll be an interesting decision.

hora
    Free Member

If I was in a car I’d have finished it off.

Once on a NSL a car infront of me braked from 60-0 HARD. I swooped round and a bunny hopped out and was promptly bundled under my car. I looked in the rear view mirror and the couples faces were ‘horror’

**** idiots. If it hadn’t been instant death I’d have reversed back.

A couple of years back I saw a Westie at the side of the road. I stopped and checked it, felt for a name tag (none). If it was still alive I’d have done the decent thing- either take to the vets or finish 🙁

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Just in case you find one of my cats (God forbid) they don’t wear collers but they are chipped. Please take them to a VET whether they are dead or alive even if your unqualified opinion leads you to beleive they won’t make it.

These are not humane methods of euthenasia:
    Stamping on the head
    Strangulation
    Hitting with a blunt object
    Breaking of the neck
    Reversing a car over

hora
    Free Member

muddy_bum. I rang my local vets

“Can you bring it in”?

No, its got part of its back end hanging out and I’ve no way of wrapping it/stopping my boot from being soiled.

If I saw an animal obviously badly injured and suffering I’d end its misery.

Once on a ride another rider hit the back legs of a bunny (breaking them). A rider rung its neck.

emsz
    Free Member

Nice thread 😕

hels
    Free Member

I would definitely stop, have never run a cat over myself but have been next car along a couple of times. We tossed a coin for who picked it up off the road vs who called the owner. I was lucky both times and got scraping duties.

One was DOA and the other twitched a bit but clearly it’s spine had been snapped and it just stopped breathing.

I think I was crying more than the owner.

Lost a couple of nice jerseys there trying to make the cat look a bit less horrible for the owner.

hora
    Free Member

On the climb over Rivington I came across a listless Duck in the road. I flagged down a car and asked him to run it over

“certainly not, I can’t! Can’t you ring its neck”?

No!

Another car slowed and stopped. In the end three cars pulled over with four blokes conferring. In the end the third driver scooped it up and popped it into the heather and said ‘the Foxes will get it tonight’

GRRR

Hammer
    Free Member

Word of warning… cats can look dead but not be!

Took my dog for his evening walk and my wifes stupid cat followed us.. crossing the road a car smacked into my cat and threw him 30 odd meters up the road, car didn’t stop… but his brakes on, but then hit the throttle again and sped off.
    Poor little Tiiger (I didn’t name him!) just layed there motionless and I figured he was dead. Moved him out of the road and figured I would carry him home on the way back to my wife who was going to have her evening ruined.
    As I held him he looked at me with his “dead eyes” and then started breathing… carried him home to let him take his last breaths in my wifes arms. although I considered whacking him with a shovel I couldn’t bring myself to do it.
    30 minutes later I took him to the vets, and three days of: he will be ok, followed by, we need to operate his shattered shoulders, followed by, we need to put him down, followed by, you can take him home…..
    He made a full recovery and cost 2 grand in vets fees…

Had I not been the squeamish type I would have killed him.

Horrible business….

Hammer.

hora
    Free Member

Nice driver 🙁

BTW- what is the legal position? i.e. if you hit a pet are you legally viable for any vet bills?

wwaswas

if you hit a pet are you legally viable for any vet bills?

it depends…

Legally you have to stop unless it’s a ‘wild’ animal (badger, fox, etc).

That antelope’s being done for failing to stop after an accident, I heard.

hora
    Free Member

Thats just reminded me. You don’t have to report anything less than a dog legally. So I assume you can hit/run over a cat.

Probably due to size/hazard to other motorists/road users (than compassion levels).

philconsequence
    Free Member

our cat was hit by a car when it was but a young kitten, half a battered/crushed skull, mangled left side of the body….

vets managed to save him, wired his skull back into shape and after several weeks at the vets he got his eyesight back, re-learnt how to walk and how to do so in a straight line without toppling over sideways, how to kinda immitate a normal cats ‘meiow’ and lived with us a happy cuddly whore of a cat for another 14 years.

i dread to think what some of the people posting on this thread would’ve done to him if they had found him! 😥

hora
    Free Member

How do you know it’ll pull through and live 14yrs? Its a tough call if you’ve just come across ‘someones’ pet.

I’d like to think if my Bingo was ever run over it’d be relatively painless and over quickly.

philconsequence
    Free Member

think the point a few people are trying to make is that you dont know, so drop it off at a vets where they’re a little more qualified to make that judgement call than random drivers

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘If you find an injured cat in the road….’ is closed to new replies.