Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • If you could retrain now, What would you do?
  • The-Beard

I wanted to be a LUMBERJACK!

And that’s sort of what I’ve done.

Fully trained and paid up member of the architecture profession (all those who say they’d like to be an architect – one of the lowest job satisfaction rates of any profession apparently!) who got fed up of it and I’m currently now having a bit of a career sabbatical working with dad in his forestry firm.

With my best girl by my side I’ll sing, sing, sing…

slowmart
    Free Member

What I do now. Wholly own and build a business.

I have a mate who is on the large size and when he was on the drugs squad was kicking in doors and screaming around. Now at this point I was rather envious of his adrenaline fuelled existence. That was until he describes one of the houses, the squalor. The mother who is HIV, the grandfather, father who are in prison and how the eldest boy was heading in the same direction. All appetite evaporated at that point. Great guy but the job has left its impact on his personality.

justinbieber

Architect. Every time I watch Grand Designs, I wish I had studied it. I very nearly did, but changed to graphic design right at the last minute before uni.

maccruiskeen

Hit-man hired gun type. No principles. Highest bidder gets my time.

I already do that.
    If you want anyone killed I’ll do £2000. If you want someone specific killed, rather than just senseless random violence aimed at bystanders that costs a bit more.

badllama
    Free Member

Electronic Engineer good prospects and great pay (in comparison to what I’m on).

Then work in the defense industry and be out of the country as often as I can I have a mate who works on ” top secret” who has just come back from working in OZ lucky b£&£*&ard! 🙂

Haze

all those who say they’d like to be an architect – one of the lowest job satisfaction rates of any profession apparently!)

That would explain a lot, they always seem so fed up whenever I speak to one.

Nice to know it’s probably not personal!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Architect. Every time I watch Grand Designs, I wish I had studied it.

Every time I watch grand designs it usually serves to remind me that most architects are anally retentive self obsessed sociopathic narcissists with an over inflated view of their chosen profession. 🙄

project
    Free Member

I would want to be TED WILSON[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqWUCIYBYM&feature=relmfu[/video]

Sadly he will never exist again,and vulcan foundry has gone foorever.

Ps,contains gratuitous images of steam trains, and health and safety breaches

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

A cold caller 😉

toby1

The Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue photographer, probably pays well enough to only have to do that one job a year too!

MrSmith
    Free Member

The Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue photographer, probably pays well enough to only have to do that one job a year too!

I doubt it, the real money is in advertising not editorial, some magazines don’t even pay a day rate but expect you to shoot for costs only. The better mags will pay roughly 20-50% of an advertising photographers day rate.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Architect. Every time I watch Grand Designs, I wish I had studied it.

These people have studied? 😯

MrSmith
    Free Member

These people have studied?

Yes, their navels

piemonster

I doubt it, the real money is in advertising

It’s not about the money, it’s about the job satisfaction!

hitman
    Free Member

shop assistant

ononeorange

Project – aaaaaah, the great Vulcan Foundry. Fantastic video. It made me smile as I came in at the end of real engineering here and the idea of a works manager who had actually done any of the jobs and had experience like that was laughable – usually they were not that much older than me , were well-versed in management-speak and “managed” by creating a climate of fear and overseeing closure. It must have been great then, rather than the “experience counts for nothing” mantra now.

Anyway, enough of that. Retraining – with the benefit of hindsight I would do something practical and useful that is destined to last, eg plumbing, electrical engineering etc rather than having gone into financial services which is yet another dead-end I seem to have found. Oh well.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘If you could retrain now, What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.