Home Forums Chat Forum If this weather is the new normal…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • If this weather is the new normal…
  • mjsmke

Will you keep riding MTB or sell them?

I’d probably sell the MTB and stick to road/gravel.

weeksy

Stock up on bearings and embrace it.

Ridden all winter, I’ve done 2 wheel bearings and a BB, 6 frame bearings, to be honest, it’s not a lot.
    Just accept the mud and if that’s how it is, accept the wet feet.

I’d rather give up than ride road/gravel exclusively

ossify

I’m keeping mine.

And staying out of this from now on… I’ve had enough threads about doom. It’s getting me down more than the weather, and that’s saying something 🙃

mjsmke

I just dont enjoy riding in the slop. Its ok as a one off every now and then but not all the time. Gets borring very quickly.

Waderider
    Free Member

Nice and dry on the west coast of Scotland………

north of the border

As above, just embrace. It’s just a cold easterly in March; nothing particularly unusual. In like a lion, out like a lamb…

weeksy

It’ll soon dry up and we’ll have fast dusty trails again.

oldfart

IMG_20240310_111625219_HDR

convert

The problem is under your wheels, not in the air. When living in the south downs I loathed winter riding with the clagging mud. I could never understand how others enjoyed winter gloop until I appreciated gloop is not all born equal. Now I live in lovely well draining loam and rarely see mud.

So just move somewhere nicer 😉

oldfart

Could be worse, could live here 🤔

Houns

I’ll just fly around the world to go biking and to go on numerous holidays, you know, to keep adding to the problem that’s causing this **** weather.

chvck
    Free Member

Keep riding MTB, bad weather doesn’t bother me (excluding snow, that can do one). I do sometimes get a bit concerned that I might trash the trails but a lot of what I ride gets ridden by MXers and famers quads, compared to those I’m not doing much damage…

Kryton57

In about 6 weeks time they’ll be a hosepipe ban and a thread about Avon skin so soft and midges whilst people complain about the heat.

jonba
    Free Member

Last few years have been warmer and drier in the NE. It was a few years before that when we had snow on the ground until May. I certainly did a stage race over easter in snow.  It will get better eventually. Not done it this year but a trip to warmer climates around the end of March is always a morale boost. Except that year we went to Majorca and it snowed!

ElShalimo

Riding in winter is less pleasant than riding in summer shocker

🤦

finbar
    Free Member

Call me soft, I don’t care – I’m with the OP. I hate riding in mud on the reg. Hate it. I probably manage twice a winter, with sufficient time between each ride to forget how grim it is.

Then in summer if it arrives I’m out 4 times a week.

grimep
    Free Member

we never used to have wet winters, like ever
    definitely sell your bikes

davy90
    Free Member

I’m riding more road in crap weather, I don’t mind rain or some mud but slogging for hours through SE gloop gets old quickly, particularly uphill..

I know some on here thrive on mud..me less so. Prefer to be out rather than on the turbo..

1) The term ‘new normal’ makes me want to puke

2) It’s only just march

3) Yes I’ll keep riding MTB

zippykona

It’s only just turned as muddy as a winter should be.

scotroutes

It’s been a very average Winter here. We could have done with a bit more snow and a bit less wind though.

smogmonster

1 mtb ride since October – even that one was utterly minging. Stuck to the road ever since. Its been the shittiest winter i can remember. And thats saying something. Just farking awful.

mjsmke

Im not intending to moan about mud. Just curious what people into the sport will do if its like this all the time.

fettlin

New normal? Pffft, every winter is the worst winter ever, until the next winter then everybody’s memory resets.I t’s been wet granted, but pretty mild all things considered. 

Sell the MTB because it’s raining? Nope.

Do something else when it’s raining? Maybe.

convert

like this

Maybe I’m missing something…..is it different this year? The UK is not a big place, but I think we’ve had different experiences. Where are you?

maccruiskeen

do if its like this all the time.

when has the weather been like anything all the time? The only thing we can expect is that it’ll be more varied

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Get muddy or ride on the road? I’ll stick with getting muddy.

1 mtb ride since October – even that one was utterly minging. Stuck to the road ever since. Its been the shittiest winter i can remember. And thats saying something. Just farking awful.

If I’ve just counted right, I’ve done around 40. All MTB, Derbyshire Dales, Peak.

The odd one has been particularly grotty, the majority have been fine considering the time of year

binners

I live in the Lancashire hills and there’s a very good reason they put lots of reservoirs here.

Nothing’s changed and we really do take the positives and make the most of those 4 days a year when it isn’t lashing down horizontally 😃

It’s only mud. You’re not going to dissolve

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re not going to dissolve

My drivetrain might tho.

binners

It goes with the territory. If you ride through the winter round here then you ride a hardtail, order brake pads in bulk and budget for a complete new drivechain come the spring

We have various winter routes too, where we’ll stay on the hardpack and off the moors. Still infinitely preferable to riding on the road

sandboy

Do something else when it’s raining? Maybe.

I was determined to ride this morning but after a miserable hour out with the dogs first thing, another ride in the rain wasn’t so appealing!
    I decided to go for a run instead and it’s nowhere near as bad as riding in it. Can’t say why, maybe it’s just a wet me verses wet muddy me plus wet muddy bike to deal with. I just needed my endorphins.

ajantom

Rigid singlespeed….all the fun, a lot less of the hassle!

mrmo
    Free Member

I live in the cotswolds, winter just means walking through deep mud, it lost it’s attraction a decade ago. There are a very few places where it isn’t that bad. I have an 18 month old mtb and noticed there Is still some of the floro grease Shimano uses on the rear mech. So crap has the weather been and so little use the bike has got.

maccruiskeen

stay on the hardpack and off the moors.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

It’s not the mud that’s that bad, it’s the 2 feet of water on top of it!

I’ve been off of bikes for a while due to a bad back and at the start of this year I was determined to get back into it but the weather’s beaten me, it’s the worst I’ve seen my local trails in 30+ years. I know where the dry-ish trails are in the winter but not anymore, it’s all bad, had enough now, just want some dry weather as my fitness is already useless and I’m not going on the local roads, I’ve seen what people drive like on them.

steamtb

It looks a tad moist today but I got four rides in on local trails last week and it was pretty much dry everywhere. I’ve not had to clean my bike in weeks, but we do live near a spot that seems to have remained bizarrely dry recently, even compared some sloppy trails 10 miles away or so. :)

wait4me

It is pretty crap. Bought a new Spesh Epic Evo over a month ago and haven’t turned a pedal yet. Don’t really fancy it’s maiden ride in slop. Sadly that new bike excitement has evaporated and I’m almost questioning my logic of dropping a few grand on it. But it will stop raining and it won’t be long before it’s dry and dusty. But for the time being I’m sticking to the gravel bike and nothing more than light off road stuff.

2 weeks ago

GOPR0338_1708862219020~2

kelvin

Maybe I’m missing something…..is it different this year?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/weather-rain-flood-met-office-b2473794.html

Sodden Britain in the grips of wettest winter in 130 years

The period between July and December last year is the wettest on record since 1890

Not been exactly dry since that was written in Jan, has it.

Wet winters aren’t new. But, this one is a particularly wet one. More winters like this expected though. Just be prepared.

Bike has just had new bearings, pads, chain, cassette, chainring. Still running 10 spd to make the wet winter destruction/replacement of drivetrains more affordable.

Big proper front mudguards and trousers will get you through to the dry trails of… er… May?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.