Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • If I was going to spend £700/£800* on a new 29er hardtail….
  • wombat

…and I wanted 120/130mm of travel

Could I do better than one of these?

Parkwood

*Might be able to push the budget to £1000 if I wait a couple of months

edhornby

Voodoo bizango
    Boardman
    Look at decathlon?

nwill1
    Free Member

wombat

Already got a Voodoo Bizango (bought s/h) that I’ll be selling to partially fund the new bike.

Have a 2009 Boardman Pro H/T 26″ partially dismantled (very good but want a bit more travel and slackness) may well sell this to fund new bike too.

Wombat Jnrs have entry level Rockriders, seem OK for them, are the more high spec Decathlon offerings OK?

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ve seen some mint 2nd hand Stanton Sherpas at that price (£1000) that’s where I’d put my money. There’s a nice one over on PB at the moment I’m having to avoid. Rebas/hope on Stans…nice!

renton
    Free Member

Or if you needed a large you could just buy my as new Park wood for £480.

It’s got better kit on than x5 too.

wombat

Renton, I do need a Large, whereabouts in the country are you?

chakaping
    Free Member

New Boardman Pro 29er looks good for spec and geometry – but they don’t quote a reach figure. 10% off bikes at Halfords this week (and 10% BC discount also possible I think).

Vitus have some nice looking, well-specced HT 29ers too.

renton
    Free Member

Ah well that’s the problem… I’m in Elgin Scotland and would of posted. ……

However I’m currently sat in work down the Falklands and will be until September so it’s collection only I’m afraid.

wombat

Ooh, the Vitus Sentier looks decent

renton
    Free Member

Mine if full 2×10 deore with a xt shadow plus rear mechanism.

Deore brakes and rotors

Shimano mt35 wheels

Bontrager finishing kit
    Charge spoon saddle.

Apart from the frame and front mechanism the rest has done 10 Miles.

wombat

Collection only from Port Stanley? 😆 😉

renton
    Free Member

Ha no riding down here as too many minefields.

If you are anywhere near Elgin of know someone in the area they are more than welcome to have a look and collect.

wombat

Sounds like a sweet ride (get me, all down with the kids)
    I travel to Edinburgh fairly regularly but it may be a bit of a stretch to engineer a meeting in Elgin I’m afraid.

superstu
    Free Member

That Ramin looks a great deal, and the Vitus come highly regarded although I’ve not seen one in the flesh.

mikertroid
    Free Member

+1 for Ramin. My four is a couple of years old and although pretty much a Triggers Broom, is a great bike

duckman

Wombat I have the Sentier and it is ace.I am in the beautiful county of Angus if you want a sling a leg….However I would have bought Rentons Parkwood ifI had not bought it 3 days before. BC discount on CRC as well,so a £21 sub will get you £80 odd off.

ade9933
    Free Member

I bought s 2nd hand frame and bits and built up a decent steel 29er for this.

These days I’d also try a fat bike and a 650b+ etc.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

After scouring eBay and here for second hand frames to build up,I just bought a Boardman Pro 29er. Comes with 120mm Reba’s, 142 x 12 at the rear,SRAM GX 1 x 11 group set,SRAM Guides,etc. RRP is £1000 but it cost me £900 with my BC discount. Halfords have 10% off for the next week too so if you have BC membership that is a lot of bike for £810 if you combine discounts…….
    Seems good so far, but will be taking it for its first proper ride this morning.
    There’s also the Boardman Team for £850 so that’s £765 currently.Geo is 68.5 head angle and 72.5 seat angle.

packer
    Free Member

Boardman. Can be had for around 800 currently with discounts mentioned above. Insane value for money.

wombat

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Duckman, thanks for the offer I’m in North Yorkshire so it’s a bit far to travel for a test ride.
    Like the look of both the Ramin and the Sentier, will do a bit more research and compare geometry with my Bizango to get an idea of how they’ll ride

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘If I was going to spend £700/£800* on a new 29er hardtail….’ is closed to new replies.