• This topic has 68 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • If I 'organised' a 'Help Build a Holz Hausen Day' would anyone come?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got a stash of logs that need cutting and splitting and space to build another Holz Hausen.

If I promised tea, biscuits and cake, any maybe sausages on an open fire would anyone be interested in helping out. It would involve splitting, barrowing and building.

It would have to be on a strict McMoonter no liability as the log splitter is home made but I still have a full count of fingers.

I’m about 15 minutes from the Forth Road Bridge near Kinghorn.

Pigface
    Free Member

To far for me but if I was in the area I would.

Stoner
    Free Member

Aye. If you werent in another country I’d be there.

Coincidentally (and following the thread on “Winter approaching”) Im just in from starting this years splitting. Swinging my new Grunsfors in anger for the first time. It’s a peach. One handed splitting has never been so easy. Nice to be at it again.

Going to the coppice this friday morning for a look around for the first time since spring. Wont be harvesting again until october-ish though.

stumpy01

Again – had you not lived a 5hr drive away, I probably would have been up for it!

CountZero

Sounds like fun, but getting there would take about the same time as flying to New York… 😀

banks
    Free Member

+1 if you lived closer, sleepover?

ART

Like a shot, but darn it, you are 7+ hours away … I might be missed 😉

swiss01
    Free Member

dependent on the day I can come

cudubh

I could probably manage along depending on when you are thinking of doing it. Unlike most of the previous posts I can see Fife from the lounge window, only 20/30 miles away.

bearGrease

Depending on day I could be in. Most importantly what sort of biscuits?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’d like to do this at a weekend, perhaps towards the end of the month.

Most importantly what sort of biscuits?

Get your requests in early.

Bunnyhop

If I promised tea, biscuits and cake, any maybe sausages on an open fire

We would love to but as others have said, it’s just a bit too far to pop over.
    What type of cake (mmm cake)? Also I hope the sausages are the butchers best 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yep.

When.

Edit: this weekend you say? free Sunday

Double edit: Not ‘this weekend’, ‘a weekend’ fairly free all month.

Borders dark chocolate and Ginger.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

How does either the 30th or 31st of August sound?

Coincidentally (and following the thread on “Winter approaching”) Im just in from starting this years splitting. Swinging my new Grunsfors in anger for the first time.

Got a link? I’ve only held a Grunsfors maul, it was a thing of balanced beauty.

joshvegas
    Free Member

provided I am not posted shipped off to Qatar in the time between now and then… I can do either.

I know nothing other than ‘wood go on fire, me no die’ but i do know which end of an axe is pointy.

geoffj

I’d be keen, but the next few weekends are booked up at our caravan in Glenmore. 😕

DickBarton

I’m up for a laugh…should be able to do the Saturday no probs…Only a half hour drive for me!

bigG
    Free Member

I might be up for it, and could probably give Dick B a lift if I do get a pass

swiss01
    Free Member

can’t do the weekend but the 30th is possible

DickBarton

bigg, that would be sweet…I’m a bit closer to you now geographically!

rickmeister

As with others its a bit far from the Black Forest though we do have some fine Holt Hausen examples here …

I’m sure it will be a fun gathering…. don’t forget the pics..

Biscuits ? Its Scotland, Irn Bru and Tunnocks FTW… (For The Workies)..

Stoner
    Free Member

mcmoonter, perfect timing. You’ve caught me just on the way out with the axe to crack on with some more sawdust manufacturing 😀 :

Its the Scandanavian Forest Axe.
    http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/gransfors-bruks-scandinavian-forest-axe-1487-p.asp

For £50 a bargin. Lovely weight (2lb head) and easy to use one handed, but long enough to drop a second hand on to it for a bit of wellie.

Makes my stamped plate billhook seem very cheap and nasty, so a an old forged one is next on the shopping list.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

MC in fails to read calendar properly shocker.

How about we try for Saturday 31st of August. Perhaps try for a ten o’clock start.

The last one I built needed three and a half trailer loads like this..

… so there is a lot to split. It takes roughly an hour to fill a trailer.

I reckon with a couple of people building we could keep up with the splitter.

It may be safer if I cut the long log lengths up into rings before folks get here.

Biscuit requests are duly noted.

We could also have a trailer reversing challenge.

If you email me (addy in profile) I will send you directions.

fasthaggis

I would like to help,but I feel that with your studio,art work,garden,log burners,workshop,bikes and other McMoonter quality items ,I would get far too distracted and end up wandering round eating biscuits while other people did some real work.
    It would be a bit like having a small annoying child for the day ,asking stupid questions and generally getting in the way..

Hope it goes well 🙂

bearGrease

What do you think the smallest Holz Hausen you could build is? I wonder whether I could fit one in the garden….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What do you think the smallest Holz Hausen you could build is? I wonder whether I could fit one in the garden….

The only complication with a small Holz Hausen is that you would have to cut the logs much shorter. If you think of each log like the minutes around a clock, to get each log to sit tightly against its neighbour on a smaller circumference the logs have to be proportionally shorter. Remember that each log with shrink as it dries opening every gap. It still takes a surprising amount of wood to build one.

On the original thread IamSam built a smallish one, it looks about four feet high.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-next-log-pile-will-be-a-holz-hausen

Stoner
    Free Member

Im definitely going to have a go at one next year.
    Got to fill the wood sheds first though. Well on the way. This is 4-5hrs work over the last couple of mornings (RHS of store. About 4m3, or 2 tons):

This technique of walking the saw through the cord stack is working brilliantly. Very fast processing and minimal handling required:

The new axe is lovely to work with – so much faster and less effort than two handed hefting of the maul. The poplar pings open 99% of the time. Really easy to process.

Even got a chance to produce this:
    😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great work Stoner, there is something very special about a hand tool that makes a job a pleasure.

I was at the country park this morning and uplifted another load. I think one more load should be enough to build a Holz Hausen with a nine or ten foot diameter.

Lovin’ the axecam. 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

what state is the wood in that you’re recovering? Big rings/cords/logs?

I was surprised just how effortless a good axe could be. It gets a gently caress with a wetstone at the end of each day of use and then comes to bed with me 😀

IamSam
    Free Member

Afternoon chaps.

Ours ended up about 6 feet tall, the robot to the left is well over 7 high. it must have shrunk alot now though I will try and get a picture of it, also with its hat on.

no posh axe here though used a sharp sledge hammer..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

what state is the wood in that you’re recovering? Big rings/cords/logs?

Its mostly Scots Pine in four or five foot lengths. Its diameter varies from around a foot or so downwards.

I’ve had to bushwhack my way in with the Land Rover and the tipping trailer which has Land Rover wheels. Lifting some of the heavier lengths was a struggle to get over the sides. Its saved hauling lengths with the barrow. The path in is just wide enough with the wing mirrors folded flat. I can drive straight in, reverse around a bend and drive back out again.

A day where the sun shines with some Land Roverin’ and chainsawin’ is hard to beat.

In the past Ive cut up lengths on the back of the trailer in the same way you have, it saves a lot of handling.

Stoner
    Free Member

Have you thought about getting a block and tackle to drag stuff up on to your trailer? Your scots pine cords sound a lot bigger than the stuff I have to work with. I can just about manhandle 9-12″ x 12′ wet poplar cords – probably about 80Kg. Fortunately most of the stuff I have to move is more like 30-50Kg at a time.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Mcmoonter – you had me up until the last line! #fifeaversion 😀

BlobOnAStick

I love the look of a holz hausen, but lack the space and wood demand to build such a thing. However, for future reference, how do you begin using the wood you’ve stacked? Surely once you start taking the roof off you open up quite a bit of the pile to the elements? do you have to dismantle the whole thing at once and move the pile indoors?

geoffj

The new axe is lovely to work with – so much faster and less effort than two handed hefting of the maul. The poplar pings open 99% of the time. Really easy to process.

I wish my wood pile was as easy to split 👿

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stoner, we got some mature Poplar, it was about 15 or 18 inches in the round, it had been drying for about a year off the ground, it was surprisingly light.

My brother usually gives me a hand so its a bit easier when he’s there. I had to resort to halving the heaviest logs today.

Surroundedbyhills, its not as bad as you might fear.

bearGrease

MM and IamSam, thanks for the info on the mini HH, looks nice. Was going to buy (I know! Not very STW) another log store but that may be an alternative.

IamSam, can you remember what the diameter was? How much wood did it use?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got a stash of cut log lengths ready for splitting and I’ve cleared a spot for us to build the Holz Hausen on.

Does anyone else who may have missed this first time around fancy joining us? Saturday 31 Aug around 10am.

piemonster

I have the Piano tuner in, might make the afternoon if I don’t head to the highlands.

geoffj

I have the Piano tuner in

Please tell me that’s a euphemism 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘If I 'organised' a 'Help Build a Holz Hausen Day' would anyone come?’ is closed to new replies.