Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Idiots guide to fitting a new front mech…
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ok so i HAVE to attempt this job at the weekend…hopefully without it going tits up!

i think i can cover the basics, ie height etc and position…

but a few things im a bit stuck on is when doing the L screw, which gear to be in? and the same for the H screw….

also as im putting a new cable at the same time, what do i need to do at the shifter end? fit the cable first, or do the H & L screws and do the cable after? also with the barrel adjuster does that need to be wound in clockwise or anti clockwise all the way or the likes?

a step by step guide would be most helpful if anybody can help 🙂

i did my rear mech before from help off here and never had any issues since, so hopefully you can steer me in the right direction with the front 🙂

thanks!

TheBrick
    Free Member

to the limit screws without and cable attached if you are in doubt.

soma_rich
    Free Member

definatly. I always fit my front mech with no chain in the mech and no cable. Do it by eye then fine tune when you put the cable and chain on.

thepurist

Park Tool’s guide is pretty good.

Start with the barrel adjuster screwed about 1-2 turns out of the shifter – though if I’ve needed any adjustment it’s been to wind it out a bit to get clean shifting, but it’s worth having scope to wind it back in if necesseary. You can always drop the cable off & do it again if you totally bork the tension.

Set the limits with no chain as above, then make sure that when you shift to the big ring you’re actully limited by the screw (wind barrel adjuster out/take slack out of cable in granny if not).

duntstick
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T43IJue7iiI[/video]

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Last time I put a new mech on I read the instructions that came with it. Funnily enough I followed them and it worked 🙄

flippinheckler
    Free Member

If your an idiot take it to your LBS, I have however worked out how to adjust my rear mech, also managed to adjust the front mech when the chain was rubbing against it, as a complete mechanical numpty I am mightily impressed with myself 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im not that mechanically inept – i managed to fit a whole new rear mech no problem….

the front, the limit screws dont worry me, more getting the cable right and the tension, as i said im a bit unsure about the barrel adjuster, and when to use that to adjust?

so your saying wind the barrel adjuster in all the way, or there abouts, add the cable, tighten cable up and shazzam?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Idiots guide to fitting a new front mech…’ is closed to new replies.