Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Identify my chilli's
  • wolly
    Free Member

Bought a chilli plant in the village yard sale a few months ago it’s growing well but what variety are they?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grocer’s Pleasure.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

chenzo chilli

an unusual compact plant (55 high by 50cm wide) that produces lots & lots of 5-6 cm long jet black chillies. It branches arch into a neat dome and the fruits hang like jewels below the bushy foliage.

AndyF1
    Free Member

C Annum type,possibly Black Hungarian.

wolly
    Free Member

Chenzo it is thanks 🙂 love the collective knowledge on here

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

love the collective knowledge googling skills on here

sbob
    Free Member

No idea, but I ate a whole Dorset naga the other day.
    Quite an experience.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Diadora’s?

CountZero

Quite an experience.

What, your head exploding? Hope you cleaned up afterwards. 😀

butcher

They’re Black Chillis of Death. Defo don’t eat them. You’ll die.

Seriously though, I love chillis. What does it take to grow these things? Do you just stick them in a pot and water them once in a while? Or is there more to it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

nope that basically dead easy to grow

I chop mine then cover in oil to preserve though other methods exist

z1ppy

Butcher, stick em in a pot with a general compost & water regularly. Got couple of apache, jalapeño & some hybrid thing growing, slow to start this year but they’ll be loads before the end of the year, & this year I maybe tempted to bring the plants in to the house before the cold gets them. I freeze loads, (give loads away too) & just use them straight from the freezer . Better half keeps talking about making chilli jam

butcher

Is it too late in the year to start growing now?

I know absolutely nothing about plants or gardening… I grew a peanut plant in junior school once.

z1ppy

Would have thought it a bit late to start planting fresh ones, but you’ll probably find a blooming plant at your local nursery. They keep going for ages & produce loads, just make sure your getting a ‘warm/hot’ chilli. The ones I planted last year where rubbish (cheap seeds, didn’t notice the name). So I’m back to apache’s as there a nice warming, without being silly

AndyF1
    Free Member

It`s too late now,I start in Jan. The Chinensis group are the mega hot ones,bit more difficult to grow/look after. Start with the Annum group..lots of varietys and some pretty ones too.

slowoldgit
    Free Member
    chvck
    Free Member

You can buy whole chilli plants atm. I bought 3 (2 habanero and 1 dorset naga) online about half a month ago as I’m too lazy to grown them from seeds.

I bought the naga plant already pretty mature – had green chilli’s on it already when it arrive. The other 2 are still quite small. All I’ve had to do is water them and pot them on. Winter and trying to get them growing again next year is my concern.

Quite an experience.

Yeah, I did that a while ago. I’m not doing it again, ever.

gonzy
    Free Member

Quite an experience.

you want to try the Bhut Jolakia (ghost chilli)…it’ll put the fire in your belly!! 😆

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I like a variety called Prairie Fire. Loads of different colours that the chilis go through and the plants are small. Yield is pretty high, and they tend to be pretty hot. I’m trying these outside this year and they seem to be doing OK.
    When we had a conservatory I grew a fair few different types, but some of the plants grow to over 6 ft tall.
    Have a look on the Simpsons seeds site for info about different chilli types: Simpsons Seeds
    Need to sow the seeds in Jan/early Feb (I use a heated propagator) to get a good start. I found it helps to stress the plants to increase the heat of the chillis. Once chilis have set let the plant wilt before watering. Let them get hot in the day, and cool at night.
    Use tomorite once a week to feed them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Identify my chilli's’ is closed to new replies.