Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Ibis Mojo or turner 5 spot DW – Opinions and experience of both please
  • Vortexracing

Still hovering over changing my 140mm trail bike. (Ventana X5)

Both the above are the same price (Merlin and Stiff) and obviously both are DW link.

Anybody got a Mojo on here or better still ridden both and can give opinions (of which STW is not short of) 😆

Plenty of opinions on the Turner recently posted on here, but even google can't find many on the Mojo 🙄

Piccies would be nice as well

Ta very muchly

Chuck

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

i think you should buy a mojo, hate it, and sell it on a a huge loss. To me.

Happy to help 🙂

theres 128 opinions on the mojo here, if you value the opinions of merikens

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn-full-suspension/ibis/mojo/PRD_414727_1547crx.aspx

and a dedicated forum here

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Vortexracing

cheers I've been through those it was the input from guys on here I was looking for.

What colour should I get you? 😆

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

oh, I'm not fussy 😆

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I met a guy with a Mojo out on a ride. His bike weighed what felt like nothing compared to my 5 Spot. However his suffered the worst chainsuck ever. The chain was pulled up and trapped above the carbon chainstay. It was a two man job to release it. One to compress the suspension, to other to recover the chain.

He'd ridden it in the Alps a lot, and he was bloody quick on it, until the chain sucked again.

showerman
    Free Member

chainsuck can happen to anyone on any bike, have a mojo sl its my comfy armchair love it lots. protect the chainstays with this http://www.biketart.com/products/framewrap
    and you will have a nice ride

Hadge
    Free Member

Grrrrr! I'm waiting for my demo DW Link 5 Spot to arrive but I've got an old HL Spot and have ridden the Mojo SL. The SL is a very nice bike, quiet for a carbon bike and rides really well. Climbing is impresive and it goes downhill fine and as can be found they can be built up very light indeed. What I always say though is that ANY of the top brand bikes, Intense Tracer, Yeti 575, Ibis Mojo blah blah blah ALL peform very well and you really need to test ride them to find which suits you and your needs best as I guarantee you, non of them will disappoint you.
    I had an SL over a short period of time and it never suffered chainsuck whatsover but that's something that can affect any bike so bear that in mind.

vinnyeh

I've just been got a Mojo, haven't finished building it up yet, but would like to post a gratuitous frame photo. A bit of research indicates that there's not much difference of opinion between the 5 and Mojo, although the 5 scores more highly on the stiffness scale, and there have been some issues with pivots. Warranty and customer support seems outstanding though, even for second user frames.
    I don't know whether the Stif price only applies to the frame they have in stock though, or to orders from 2pure- when I got mine a few days ago 2pure had very few in stock, and couldn't say what was in the next shipment.
    There's quite a few mtbr threads about chainsuck, or whatever you want to call it, with various solutions from the tape mentioned above to a simple ziptie on the stay preventing the chain from dropping in.
    I bought largely on aesthetics, colour and reputation- I've still not ridden one.

Vortexracing

I agree Hadge, the problem I have is, that from the 2 retailers above the frames are £500 cheaper than anywhere else that will offer test rides. 😥

That plus I don't think it's right to test ride at one shop and buy from another, that of course is just me.

That green looks very nice BTW

ChrisL

Earlier in the year I was thinking about replacing my 5. Initially I didn't want to spend too much on the frame. I tried a Heckler but the wide chainstays didn't agree with me. I foolishly tried a Mojo (actually a Mojo SL) and was very impressed with it. I didn't manage to try a 5 Spot but I did have a go on a Blur LT and I definitely preferred the Mojo. So I got a Mojo. I've not had a hint of chainsuck so far. My 5 had the old steep geometry and I found that in some situations it kept traction on climbs better then the Mojo does but overall the Mojo is a very nice bike indeed. 🙂

heihei

Might be able to help here as have owned both. I had one of the early Ibis Mojos in Guinness Foam, and sold it to get a DW 5-Spot in '09 as I love Turners, having also had a HL Spot……

Firstly the similarities: DW Link rules. I've owned a few 4-bar bikes and ridden quite a few VPP & single-pivot bikes and the DW seems to have the best of all worlds – plush and supple over the small stuff, taught under acceleration, well-controlled when deeper into their travel, nice spring out of berms and off kickers, and the rear sits high when climbing, negating the need for adjustable-travel forks. Both ride well without any platform damping. Both come up a bit small – I normally ride a medium frame around 23-23.5"TT but medium in both is too small for me, large better, but at 5'10" would ideally like something in-between. Both also quite steep in head-angle with 140mm forks, and feel better for me with something longer (have 160mm Floats on the Turner, and ran Bomber Z1 Lights on the Mojo).

Now for the differences: the Mojo is obviously lighter, great when climbing and building speed on singletrack, but it's more easily pinged off line on the rocky stuff, and feels a bit less planted when landing drops. The Turner feels more "rugged", perhaps due to the frame materials but also the weight. This gives you more confidence to hit jumps and drops on the Turner. This feeling was obviously increased by having 2 rear triangles cracked on the Mojo (although I should say Ibis were awesome in replacing them).
    The Turner is noticeably stiffer than the Ibis, although I never got to try the Lopes link which is supposed to improve things quite a bit. This is a good thing in certain circumstances, but I would say that the Mojo carves turns like no other bike I've ridden – flipping from side to side through turns almost like a set of carving skis. This may be down to the flex in the frame or the carbon material, I'm not sure, but it was highly addictive.

Which one is best? If you love to climb and sprint, then the Mojo. If you like to hit a few jumps or drops and fly rocky downhills, then the Turner.
    Having had the Turner for 18 months, I'm really missing the Mojo, and interestingly I'm seriously considering the Mojo HD as it could well be the best of both worlds, especially as the rumour has it that it will also come in 140mm flavour and/or be adjustable between the two.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you want to know anything more!!

Vortexracing

cheers heihei, thats the sort of input I was after.

The biggest problem I have is that my current bike is Ventana X5, which is very, very stiff, so for riding quickly down rocky BW in the lakes and Peaks it's very, good indeed.

The Carbon aspect of the frame does not bother me at all, as I design the stuff at work everyday, i know the material when used correctly is spot on.

It's the stiffness aspect that is in the back of my mind, especially given my current bike is probably one of the stiffest 140mm you can buy.

busydog
    Free Member

Have had the Mojo for almost 18 months and love it. Very nimble, climbs well and overall just a fun bike. I added the Lopes Link and it does stiffen things up–enough to feel it. I can't speak to big jumps/drops as I'm getting too farking old to do that stuff, but for just an overall great trail bike I think it hard to beat (previous bikes: Intense Uzzi, 3 Spesh and an Outland–the first VPP bike–the Mojo reminds me a lot of it. I have the black/clear-coat that shows the carbon overlays—looks cool, but black sure shows the dirt. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Vortexracing

The one i'm looking at is clear/raw carbon as well.

heihei

I've ridden the Lakes quite a bit with the Mojo (but not the Peaks), and think that if that was my everyday riding (I'm Surrey Hills so little by way of rocks), I'd want the stiffer and more planted Turner, accepting that the climbs would be a bit harder work. I did find the Ibis got pinged off-line a bit on some of those awesome trails that have a load of baby-head rocks littered everywhere!

As I say, the Mojo HD may be the best of both worlds. I've just checked MTBR and it does seem the HD will be available in either 140mm or 160mm and changeable between the 2 with a different shock & shock mount.

anthonyb
    Free Member

Ive had my Mojo SL for a few months now. Its been everything i was hopeing. Its built up abit differently to the defacto 'lightweight' SL builds. Mines got fox 36's and Iodine all mountain wheels. I find it a great all round , capable bike. Climbs really well (never really need the pro-pedal) and i can drop the forks to 100mm if needed. Desending feels like you have more than 140mm of rear travel, the DW link really soaks up the hits.

All in mine weights approx 28lbs

Candodavid
    Free Member

I was going throught he same thought process, still undecided atm though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

whats wrong with the bfe? Thats far better than any of these new fangled full sus bikes

SigmaF
    Free Member

Stiffness and lower maintenance = Turner

Weight and climbing = IBIS

Having ridden and worked on them both (esp Ibis linkage hardwear and bearings)….and living in the Peaks……the Turner wins all day long….

For a standard QR dropout, the rear triangle on the 5-Spot is very very torsionally stiff.

We should have a demo available next week again too!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

David – You were thinking of a mojo or a turner?!?!

FWIW, when my fortunes improve and I have the means, I will probably struggle with a similar choice. I'd love to have a mojo, but I'm not convinced it will be stiff enough with a 14 stone rider onboard.

neil853
    Free Member

I new you'd crack dave. I'm in the process of booking a test ride on a Blur LT, a Mojo and a Nomad. see which one feels best i guess. My head says stick to 140mm but the other part says stay at 160mm! 😆

Vortexracing

BFe is going, to be replaced by a new Soul, plus the sale of some other bits I don't use, but seem to have collected, will allow for a change of FS bike.

I don't use the BFe as I should (too old, not enough skill and now convinced i never will have plus and trails round here don't need it).

This is especially true with a very nice 140mm Soul in the garage which does everything I am capable of.

and yes Neil, I may have cracked, either one will have a Rev team 150mm on it.

I think the difference in 140mm – 160mm forks is in the stiffness ie 36mm vs 32mm rather than the travel.

Plus I'm only 10.5 stone.

neil853
    Free Member

no i was on about what bike travel i will go for (140 or 160mm) ha ha 🙄

Vortexracing

ah, so the Lyriks are staying on whatever you buy?

neil853
    Free Member

i haven't decided. I'm still trying to convince sam that i should get some new forks 8)

i think (if i can get it past the mrs) is either a fox 32/rev for the Blur or mojo or a new 2011 36 for the nomad. Chances are slim to none at the moment though! might be different if i sell the ransom/lyric combo.

toons
    Free Member

I've ridden both and own a 5spot 🙂

I found the 5 spot much stiffer and no chain suck.

lowey

Being a right old tight wad myself, as well you know, I'd ask whats wrong with the Venty ?

Fookin lovely bike that!

Vortexracing

In truth there is nowt wrong with it, just fancy a change and looking for something that pedals slightly better to make up for my lack of fitness 🙂

It just feels like it's time for a change, but as probably most people I'm bothered about blowing £1.5K on a change of frame that is no better.

If the BFe is going i have to spend the dosh on something else or it will just dissapear into the bank never to be seen again, kids and the Mrs will make sure of that.

Vortexracing

He has the benefit of being able to control his landing from drops and jumps, I on the other hand appear to be no more than a passenger 🙄

He does give it some stick though, that I have to admit. If it can take that sort of hammer I'm sure I couldn't break one

marsdenman
    Free Member

Yep, could I afford one, i'd also be a passenger… still, nice way to be 'taken for a ride' 😀
    Have fun choosing!

DeeJay
    Free Member

I too have been deliberating over one of these 2 – I very nearly bought a 5 Spot after having a demo in Dalby last year – I only had it for 10 minutes but it felt rather special. Now however I am lusting over a Mojo to replace the Pace 303 hardtail as it keeps giving me a bad back.
    Nicola at the Dales Bike Centre has just got one and she chose it over the 5 Spot – been to Morzine with it and was most impressed.
    Just got to get BikeScene's demo booked now . . . . . .

Vortexracing

Do you know the reason why she chose the Mojo over the 5 spot?

I still can't make my mind up. It's 'doin my ed in' to quote my 14 year old.

aaaahhhhh 🙄

Has your amate still got that red 5 spot he was using earlier this year on your birthday ride, and if so what does he think?

gray

I've not ridden a Turner 5, so can't offer any comparisons, but I do have a Mojo (non-SL, raw carbon). I love it – the suspension really does work very well indeed. My previous full-sus was a Chuck CR-FS, which had a very (old)Turner-like 4-bar design. The Mojo doesn't bob much at all – I've never bothered using the lockout, but still soaks up the bumps, be they small or large.

My only complaint is that I've had it for, erm, two years I guess, and ridden it less than 10 times. Now that I live down South and spend all my time commuting, I just don't do as much biking as I used to, and when I do it's mostly my hardtail that I take out.

I'm not actively looking to sell it, but realistically I probably should, so if anyone's interested then feel free to get in touch!

Vortexracing

waht size is it?

DeeJay
    Free Member

Dave – the red Turner was a Flux – he likes it a lot but I have not really had a chance to ride it with the suspension set for my weight.

Nicola said her fella has a 5 Spot and was managing to climb stuff she was struggling with – now its the other way round!! 😀

Vortexracing

Ta Dave, that has made the decision no easier 😕

DeeJay
    Free Member

Buy both 😀

Vortexracing

why didn't I think of that

how's life BTW?

DeeJay
    Free Member

Life is good – we need to organise a ride – I missed the Skipton one as a wedding got in the way – come and christen your new bike in Swaledale.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo or turner 5 spot DW – Opinions and experience of both please’ is closed to new replies.