Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Iain McLay (testudograeca)
  • sutts
    Free Member

Hello. A fair number of Singletrack members will have had contact with Iain over the past few years, probably through buying and selling on the Classifieds mostly, or on ebay. I have no doubt that everyone's experience was with an honest, trustworthy and immediately likeable guy with a huge enthusiasm for mountain biking. I first got to know him several years ago through this forum when I bought a car from him! It turned out he lived only a few miles from me and we became friends.

Tragically Iain was killed on his motorbike on his way to work in November, leaving his wife and two year old daughter.

Iain had a substantial collection of interesting bikes, most of which are fitted with Rohloff hubs, which he loved. He was a highly skilled bike-builder and I actually think he got most pleasure from sourcing and building bikes with an amazing attention to detail; at least equal to riding them.

The reason for this post is firstly to say what has happened to Iain, and also that over the next few weeks (and months) I will be advertising his bikes, wheels, spares, tools etc etc. for his wife. It will appear like I've opened a shop given the sheer quantity of stuff that will appear, but obviously that is not the case!

So please keep an eye on the classifieds, especially if you are after a Rohloff equipped bike (eg. rigid Inbred commuter, rigid Inbred 29er, Nicolai Helius CC + geared Lefty Cannondale Rush, Birdy folder…)

Ian

Saccades
    Free Member

Jeez – I used to love drooling over his bikes, one of the reasons I got an alfine.

RIP.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Hello Ian

Thank you for posting this, sad as it is. It's extremely sobering particularly given his family circumstances. I won't pretend that I knew Iain well but we bought and sold stuff from each other several times and as you say he always came across as a thoroughly decent chap with a passion for bikes.

RIP Iain

ir_bandito
    Free Member

what Saccades said

So sad for his family 🙁
    RIP

alpin
    Free Member

shitter….

luke
    Free Member

RIP Iain

clubber
    Free Member

Really sad news. In my dealings with Iain, he always seemed like a decent guy and I hope he got some enjoyment out of the Pace frame he got from me.

Good luck with the sale of the parts – can I suggest that you label it clearly as the Iain McLay/testudograeca memorial sale as I for one would be willing to pay a bit over the odds for it – I hope that you get plenty of cash for his wife and daughter though clearly it'll be small consolation.

RIP Iain

luke
    Free Member

Well said clubber, it would be a good idea to list it as a memorial sale or similar.

househusband

Sad news; my belated condolences to his loved ones.

I have a feeling that I met him once.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Sorry to hear the news.

Denis99
    Free Member

Very sad news.

I knew Iain through the sale of my last bike Nicolai Helius CC Rohloff, and he also bought some other spares off me as well.

Talked on the 'phone quite a bit and was a really nice bloke, condolences to his family.

Sutts , if you need any help describing the white Nicolai, drop me an email, its a little different from the run of the mill frame.

RIP Iain

uplink
    Free Member

A sad loss

I can't even begin to understand what his young family must be going through but I send them by condolences & hope that they can build their lives up again.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I bought a few things from Iain now and again and my mate, Graeme, used to ride with him now and again. I, unfortunately, never got the chance. Iain seemed like a thoroughly nice bloke and my haert goes out to his family.

RIP Iain McLay

sslowpace
    Free Member

Clubber/luke +1 for the memorial sale

Condolences and best wishes to his family.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Same here – bought (and sold him!) a few bits from him over the years. Gutting news…

RIP

vinnyeh

Very sad to hear this. Like most of the others, I only knew Iain through classified dealings, where he seemed a throughly decent bloke.
    Condolences to his family, and best wishes.

hora
    Free Member

My sincerest condolences. All the best and thank you for the post 🙁

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

Crikey, I rode with Iain a bit a few years back when living that way. His garage was something to behold and thoroughly nice and helpful guy. I still have a work stand I bought of him before I even got to know him. My condolences. Very sad.

nbt

I remember his ads, terrible news. RIP, mate 😥

wwaswas

really shocked.

he always seemed like a nice bloke.

jedi

🙁
    rip

tootallpaul

Sad sad news.

Like many others here, I bought and sold a few things to Iain, and he was always a top chap.

My thoughts are with his family.

P

acjim
    Free Member

testudograeca was always a name I remembered on STW, a community member – how unsettling to hear of his untimely death – RIP

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

RIP

soobalias
    Free Member

🙁

rip iain.

sold me my first pair of proper forks back in 2005 – minute 3's
    always a pleasure to deal with

thoughts with the family.

chipps

Wow, so sorry to hear that.

sutts
    Free Member

Thank you everyone who has posted so far for your kind words, I will pass them on to his family. There were 400+ people at his funeral who spilled out of the church and brought West Malling to a standstill for a while. I am sure there would have been many more there again, had more people been aware.

That is a good idea to label sales as memorial. At the moment I'm still discovering, labelling, photographing and roughly valuing bikes and parts. It's going to be a long process! Denis99, I'll mail you about the Nicolai cheers.

firestarter
    Free Member

sorry to hear that ;-( condolences to his family

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Condolences to his family.

🙁

Ditto what Clubber said above.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sad news, RIP.

elliptic
    Free Member

Again, terrible news. I was another satisfied customer on the classifieds. Condolences & best wishes.

ton

i bought from him in the past. never had a problem.
    sad sad news. R.I.P

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I think he sold me my first decent set of lights (and he stuck sweets in, a Milky Bar Buttons IIRC – I think Wiggle nicked his idea 😉

RIP

si-wilson
    Free Member

I had a few dealings with him from the STW classifieds, top bloke. Really sad news and puts things into perspective. RIP fella

psling
    Free Member

Thank you for bringing this sad news to our attention; my sincerest condolences to Iain's family.

I too had dealings with him and it was always a pleasure.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Sutts, I knew Iain reasonably well and went to his funeral. It was truly moving and Natalie was so brave. I only live down the road in Maidstone, so if you want any help with the sale, please let me know. I'm not working at the moment so have some time on my hands. Email in profile.

Boris

sheldona
    Free Member

;-( Sad sad news really sorry to hear please forward my condolences to his family, he was such a great guy to deal with. RIP

sutts
    Free Member

Hi Boris. Thanks for the offer of help, I may well be in touch – I'm in Maidstone as well. I will never forget Iain's funeral. Like you say it was very moving, a lot of people obviously cared about him a great deal.

timbur
    Free Member

Life can be so sh1t.

I use to go to Iains house to see his bikes, talk crap about bikes and drink strong coffee. Got to know him a bit after his motorbike accident 3-4 years ago when he was t-boned whilst on duty in North London. My work moved away and we drifted apart :O(

Such a shame and such a waste. Thoughts out to his Mrs and little one.

The sale will be massive as his garage was better equipped than most shops. Iain has a tool for everything and some tasty storage for them to boot.

RIP fella :O(

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

might be an idea to list his tools seperately and email me and the other shop who may be opening up a list of them…ive got loads of contacts and could shift them for you…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Iain McLay (testudograeca)’ is closed to new replies.