Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • I went round Cannock today and survived!
  • donkeydave

On 26″ wheels and 3*9 gearing do I get a reward? 😆

Goldigger
    Free Member

No you should be ashamed of yourself, if nobody saw you then you’ll get away with it..
    😀

prawny

As above, the only reason I bought a 650b full suss is because my 29er hardtail had seen me banished to marquis drive.

scaled
    Free Member

I thought the shiny pebbles were impossible?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Nonsense! The trail wont be alive in your 26

SiofCannock
    Free Member

I was briefly impressed by the thread title. Until I realised you weren’t talking about walking around the town centre.

donkeydave

So 27.5 full suss and a van to put it in or a ford smax!.
    This seems to be the way to go before I can go again 😛

dahedd
    Free Member

Maybe I’m asking a silly question but why all the hate for Cannock Chase ?

Last summer we drove down to see relatives of the Mrs & take the kids to Drayton Manor. We stayed close to the trails so I took my gear & rented a bike. Thoroughly enjoyed myself, a complete change to what we have up here.

I get the impression that there’s a fair amount of dislike towards the centre on here.

donkeydave

No hate coming from me all very tongue in cheek.

jamj1974

Not from me – been my stomping ground since the early to mid 1990’s.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

How were the braking bumps… 😉

FWIW.. I love Cannock. It gets a bad rap ’round ‘ere – cause it’s not seen as ‘proper’, much like the disdain my other occasional trail centre faves appear to be held in here (Swinley, FoD and sometimes even Llandegla). And people dislike the shiny pebbles, poor dears. It is what it is – rolly, flowy, sometimes not-flowy – singletrack full of braking bumps and humans blobbing about on 160mm ‘trail’ bikes.

Fun, if you’re in the mood for that sort of thing.

whisky711
    Free Member

It also has one of the steepest off piste descents in the UK!

tazzymtb

Pah, cannock breaking bumps, just hit them fast and smooth on a rigid sscx and ghost past with a cheery wave…or…ride with as much style and grace as a goose on rollerskates, blow the front tubeless off its rim and dissappear into the bushes in fits of hysterical laughter to be greated by a round of applause by full suspension gnarpoon riders. Somedays you’re john tomac, somedays its the chuckle brothers

MoreCashThanDash

I like that someone enjoyed it as a change to other trail centres, because that’s what it is, same as Sherwood Pines. You can’t change topography, not everywhere can be Glentress.

It’s all just riding bikes.

rocketman
    Free Member

It also has one of the steepest off piste descents in the UK!

Contentious post!

jekkyl

love Cannock! sometimes it feels like there’s too many hills and other times you go you fly round it in the half the time. You always know what to expect through. There’s nothing wrong with 3*9 or parking on Marquis drive 🙂 😉 , I do both!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I like Cannock. Its a good stock ride to keep riding mixing it up with the local natural stuff, especially over winter where the natural stuff is like a swamp. I’ve ridden Llandegla and FOD and I think Cannock is better. OK FOD downhill runs are great and much better than Stile Cop, but as far as the formal trails are concerned Cannock is much better than both.

disco_stu
    Free Member

What are the conditions like off piste at the moment?

jekkyl

I would still like to do a STW meet up at Cannock but when I put that thread up previously I was expecting perhaps about 10 people might come along and then something like 40 odd folks said they’d be interested (this site is way more popular than you expect). That’s quite a large daunting number to be leading out, I might struggle sorting out the logistics and not sure how it’d work and would likely need some ‘assistants’ 🙂 What I’ll probably do is try and sort out a route first then put a thread up here and we’ll try and get something together for mid September.

rocketman
    Free Member

What are the conditions like off piste at the moment?

Depends which off piste you’re interested in 😉

Some of it is surprisingly cut up
    Some of it has returned to sand
    Some of it is perfect

scruff
    Free Member

Alot is overgrown enough to be getting unridable at points. Dry though.

tinybits
    Free Member

Last time I tried to ride cannock with that setup, I dislocated my shoulder – twice.
    😳

prawny

I love cannock too, but I think familiarity breeds contempt, and cannock is pretty familiar to a lot of people.

It suits me because it’s 85-90% as good as anywhere I’ve ridden (I’ve not ridden many places TBF) but I can get round the dog in less than an hour before work without having to get in the car or spend more than 3 minutes on the road.

The busyness doesn’t bother me either, because I’m normally home by 6:30am if I go in the week, and 8:30 if I go at the weekend.

tomaso
    Free Member

My first ride at Cannock was 1993 with 21 gears and steel forks on my ’92 Stumpjumper.

tomaso
    Free Member

Image nicked from Rootes1 of Cannock Chase Winter XC races

I seem to remember we rode from Wolverhampton to the race, raced and rode home…

steve_b77
    Free Member

I like the place, it’s just a bit far for regular visits, Wales is closerer & betterer

dahedd
    Free Member

I’d be game for a meet but it’s a tad far from Forres.

If I get the chance next week I’ll rent a bike & ride it though. Down for a few days to take the kids to Drayton Manor (gotta love Thomas the Tank Engine Land) Most of what I ride up here is natural single track (nearest trail centre being Glenlivet though Fochabers just improved with new skills stuff at the carpark) so a trail centres as big as Cannock is a novelty.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I went on Saturday for the first time and also my first ride since before easter. The follow the dog trail was a nice welcome back to riding, especially as I normally ride the Essex flatlands. The Monkey trail nearly killed me, need to get my fitness back! Like it though, made a nice change to the normal trails I get to ride.

donkeydave

I would be up for a meet with anybody as well, Mondays are best for me.
    Please take into account I am in the process of building my fitness back up after twelve months of the bike due to injury and then illness.

MoreCashThanDash

Please take into account the fact that I am fat and unfit. No injuries or illness yet.

donkeydave

Laughing at MoreCashThanDash, I never said I was not fat or unfit as well! 😀

bensales
    Free Member

donkeydave – Member
    On 26″ wheels and 3*9 gearing do I get a reward?

Only if I can get a reward back-dated to 1990 🙂

Personally I love Cannock too. It’s great because it’s as hard as you want to make it. Potter round stopping at the start of each section and it’s not remotely ‘gnar’. Treat it like an XC race and it’s serious fun.

Go off-piste as we always used to have to, and it’s even better.

MoreCashThanDash

Please take into account I am in the process of building my fitness back up after twelve months 3 weeks off the bike due to injury and then illness sitting on the sofa stuffing crisps in my face watching shit football

If you want the brutal honest truth. Nearly died on a road ride with a mate this morning who decided that a 15% hill just 2 miles in would be a good idea.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘I went round Cannock today and survived!’ is closed to new replies.