• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TedC.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I suppose it's better than "Cyclists – Stay Back!"
  • acsevens

connect2

😆 😆 😆

richmtb

That’s actually pretty good!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

And what’s on the front of the lorry “Homicide”? – because that’s what kills most cyclists. Thick lorry drivers overtaking and turning left.

midlifecrashes

In the USA they put useful advice on those oversized pickup trucks: Dodge!

psycorp
    Free Member

Because it’s always the cyclists fault when they get murdered 🙄

gonefishin
    Free Member

When I was being taught to drive a car I was told stay well back from lorries as they need way more time than you. This message was emphasised when I was taught to ride a motorbike in the basis that rightly or wrongly you may well end up dead. I apply this to riding a bike too. Passing on the left hand side can be a pretty dangerous manoeuvre and the bigger the vehicle the bigger the danger.

martinhutch

A nice clean lorry is always a sign that the driver takes professional pride in his work…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Undertaker <—- —-> Overtaker

😉

maccruiskeen

And what’s on the front of the lorry “Homicide”? – because that’s what kills most cyclists. Thick lorry drivers overtaking and turning left.

You’re failing to grasp the message

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had to chuckle at the sign on the rear of a Bill’s Coach this morning that warned cyclists of passing on the left of the vehicle. It didn’t mention anything about the fact the driver would overtake a cyclist whilst approaching a roundabout with oncoming traffic.

DezB
    Free Member

lorry drivers overtaking and turning left.

Far more common than cyclists undertaking, I’d bet. Otherwise there would be a hell of a lot more deaths. And of course, it’s not just lorry drivers.

scud
    Free Member

I actually tend to find the large HGV drivers are pretty good, the know that they need quite a bit of clear road, to get round you and they take their time.

It is the small lorries that i find most dangerous, the non-articulated variety, a lot of those drivers seem to drive them like they are go-carts taking risks around me that HGV wouldn’t

Google brings up a scary article here, that states cyclist involved in an accident with an HGV is 78 times more likely to die in the accident!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8989290/Lorries-involved-in-two-thirds-of-cyclist-deaths-in-London.html

lovewookie

Think first time I saw the OP’s suicide, passing side was in the stallone film ‘over the top’ his truck had it on the mudflaps.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member

You’re failing to grasp the message

No I’m not. The majority of cyclist fatalities (in London at least) have been caused by lorries (and cars actually) over taking cyclists, misjudging the speed of the cyclists and then turning left into the cyclist. The OP sign on the lorry implies that cyclists are going up the inside of the lorry and putting themselves at risk.

twinklydave

“suicide” being where pretty much all the ‘part of the road’ cycle lanes go? Awesome. 😕

fadda

I hate to point it out, but I can’t see where it specifically says cyclists, in the op…

MoreCashThanDash

The majority of cyclist fatalities (in London at least) have been caused by lorries (and cars actually) over taking cyclists, misjudging the speed of the cyclists and then turning left into the cyclist.

Not trolling, genuine question – is that correct? Lots of cyclists sadly killed and injured in London through left turning lorries, but up here in the Midlands we don’t get to hear the findings of the inquests or outcomes of any prosecutions to know if it’s the cyclist going up the inside or driver error.

Recent case up here saw a left turning lorry driver convicted but was stated in court that both parties had failed to heed Highway Code advice that could have avoided the collision.

bigyinn
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member

A nice clean lorry is always a sign that the driver takes professional pride in his work…
    Try driving the length of the country in your car during November and see how clean it is at the end of the journey. 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Far more common than cyclists undertaking, I’d bet.

I’d take that bet. The number of cyclists in London who perform utterly retarded manoeuvres beggars belief. Far, far outweighs the bad driving from lorries in the main. People scoot up the tiniest gaps on the curb, literally scooting as they’re too narrow to pedal through. Makes me wince.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

And what’s on the front of the lorry “Homicide”?

Heh. Well said

prawny

I saw a truck with a sticker on the back saying ‘caution vehicle may turn left’ on the way to work the other day. I thought it was oddly worded, but then the fecker switched lanes across me without indicating, but to be fair I was warned.

mattyfez

This is why segregation is no help, cycle lanes encourage cyclists to ‘under take’ then a motor vehicle left hooks you.

I tend to just sit in the traffic flow, or ‘overtake’ standing traffic where possible. That’s lead to abuse ‘why arn’t you in the cycling lane, it was built for you?!’

You can’t win sometimes..I just choose the most safe/sensible option, if that means getting shouted at, so be it.

mattyfez

I had a classic the other day, coming up to a traffic island, 30mph zone, there were cars parked parked in the cycle lane before and after the island, I take center of lane in good time, cue a guy almost crashing into the traffic island in a desperate attempt to squeeze through, and lots of abuse from him when he eventually gets along side me.. I was doing about 25mph by my reckoning.

Another example, there’s a 2 mile gentle hill from my house to town, all downhill, again 30mph, car’s parked along one side so you have to ride near as dammit to the middle of the road white lines to avoid being doored, my top gear spins out at about 32mph, so you just end up free wheeling much of the hill, and you still get people trying to bully past, it’s like bike’s must be overtaken at all costs.

Then at the traffic lights at the bottom, there’s usualy a queue of about 30 cars waiting for the lights to change, who I then overtake. It’s just senseless.

TedC

The one I can’t fathom is “Cyclists – Do not pass this vehicle on the inside”, how on earth do I pass a vehicle inside it?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I suppose it's better than "Cyclists – Stay Back!"’ is closed to new replies.