Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • I still love Costco
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Mrs SB just asked me where the hot smoked salmon we got from Costco is. “Dunno” I reply. after searching around we decide we either left it in the trolley or at the till.
    Phone them up and they confirm we’ve paid for it but none has been handed in from the tills or car park (they keep a log).
    “Oh dear” says me.
    “I’ll put a note on the system so you can have another one free of charge next time you’re in”

Proper service 😀
    Can’t see Tesco being as understanding!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

The Mrs has just started shopping at CostCo.

Is it really that good ?

How do you guys get the best out of it?

irelanst
    Free Member

You need a big freezer.

steve-g
    Free Member

Foot long hot dog, and a gallon af fanta for £1.50 in the canteen, mmmmmmmmmm

surfer
    Free Member

Only problem is we spend a small fortune when we go 😯

Service is outstanding, Cafe is great (and cheap) quality of pretty much everything is spot on and you can return stuff whenever you want if it develops a fault.!

sharkbait
    Free Member

1)Try and be a business member, that way you get in before the masses and have free coffee and cake
    2)Try not to buy everything!

We buy large packs of mince, chicken, etc and split into smaller bags and freeze.

hora
    Free Member

I tried going in – you need to be on a list of organisations to get in etc? Couldn’t be bothered as a huge Asda is right next door to them so went in there instead.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is it really that good ?

We bought a plasma from them 5 years ago and it blew up 2 years out of warranty – they still gave me my money back. They’re that good.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

You’ll be on here in 6 months asking what diet is the flavour of the month after shopping in Costco!

rattrap
    Free Member

Wait till there’s an offer on something consumable, that you’ll buy anyway – and stock up on it for 6 months plus.

I’ve still got 107 toilet rolls in my cupboard for example, and I haven’t bought any since before christmas 8)

steve-g
    Free Member

The best thing there is the meat, you get “proper” meat, cheaper than you would get supermarket meat, we do as sharkbait, buy a months worth, portion it out, then freeze.

The main trouble as others have said is spending a fortune, when you get carried away in Tesco it’s one thing, but getting carried away when you’re buying in bulk can cost you a bit

freeagent
    Free Member

As others have said – quality and price of food cannot be beaten.
    some good deals on tools aswell if you get lucky and actually want what they’ve got.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Some good info there guys … she’s done the mince into portions this week.

Will be in the market for a new tele in 6 months, so looks like CC will be the place to shop… How do thier price compair? (although I dont mind paying more for service like that)

Good to hear about the quality of the meat …. was wondering if it was a little too good to be true

carlosg
    Free Member

Massive sickly birthday cake for less than £15 , we tend to stock up on their own brand loo roll,razor heads in 24 packs and also the croissant for Sunday breakfasts. They do some really good deals on books for the kids now and again too. Check the fridges out too they do a Greek yoghurt (Kolios) thats 10% fat instead of the (total) stuff most of the supermarkets sell thats only 4% ,it’s so rich and tasty I have to hide it from my kids or it’s gone.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pretty much all Costco electricals come with a 5 year warranty so the only people who can match that are John Lewis and maybe Richer Sounds (not sure). Prices seem pretty good and the service is the best I’ve come across anywhere.

lodious
    Free Member

It’s the best warranty for TV’s….within 90 days you just take it back, no questions asked. Full refund given. I did this a few years ago, it’s great, esp if your worried about back light bleed on LCD TV’s, which can vary from sample to sample. Take a lot of stress off, knowing that you can just return it.

They don’t mess about, and if you use them a lot, they really look after you (friend had a laptop that broke out of warranty, he took it back, they looked at his returns history to check he’s not an abuser of the system and gave him a full refund.)

Workshop stuff can be good, and it’s an interesting place to look round, as their stock is different to most UK retailers. I don’t think it’s that cheap though, but I still like it.

rattrap
    Free Member

Have to say – I’m a little disappointed with their new website

would be much better if I could see what they’re actually selling in store since so much of the range is seasonal – rather than them offering to sell me a speedboat.

current in store special offers here:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/dc67c3f8#/dc67c3f8/1

Ro5ey
    Free Member

So do you guys shop there weekly rather than Asda etc ?

zippykona

If their red onion sausages aren’t exactly the same ones that Waitrose sell I will be very surprised.
    Any way they are my favourite sausages. Yes,I have compared them to the ones my local butcher makes.

Rio

So do you guys shop there weekly rather than Asda etc ?

Best for a monthly shop for things that last a long time, and don’t expect it to replace normal shopping, you won’t get a loaf of bread and half a dozen eggs in Costco (pack of 6 loaves and a gross of eggs maybe, but not just one).

I’m a little disappointed with their new website

I like it – where else can I buy a hovercraft and use of a private jet? 🙂 I take your point though – would be useful if they had a stock list on there.

sharkbait
    Free Member

would be useful if they had a stock list on there.

I think part of the problem is that sometimes they get will get a batch of [random seasonal item] and when they’ve gone, that’s it – they’ve gone.
    And stock levels will vary between stored also.

sandal100

Can’t believe no one has mentioned the apple pies?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is a bit like a bigger version of aldi, sandard stock plus random specials

I go once ever 3-6 months -tbh when ever we run out of shit tickets

flap_jack
    Free Member

Have you ever got out without spending a ton ?

Pigface
    Free Member

There is this New York cheese cake you can get there 8) just fantastic 😛

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ive not yet bought anything i didnt plan to buy…. Lists are key

I do want a 72 inch homak tool chest though- but if it wasnt one of them id want a clarke 56″ instead…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Was looking at those tool chests the other day… Very nice!

wallop

I got short changed in Costco just before Christmas by a tenner – simple mistake which I didn’t spot til I got to my next shop. I phoned them and they checked the till straight away and popped my tenner into the vault so I could pick it up on my next visit 😀

JohnnyPanic

Their 900g packs of chipolatas.
    mmmmmmmm.

the_lecht_rocks

Frozen raspberries, best I’ve ever tasted……….honestly !

Drac

Great place but let my membership go as it’s 70 mile round trip and cost me a fortune every time I went as it’s too tempting. May have to join up know as the freezer is empty after the daughters pain in the arse friend switched it off and as mentioned Costco is great for stocking freezers.

benz
    Free Member

Cannot knock Costco.

The only thing they lack for me is bike stuff. Currently only Bell helmets and Tacx turbo trainers.

andyl
    Free Member

Website is completely different to in store.

Some of my favourite things from Costco:

British Pork chops – so thick and juicy. All the fresh meat is butchered and packaged in store so no horses and no rubbish.

Black pudding – HUUUUGE black pudding, very cheap. Cut it up and put in freezer bags

Cheese – massive blocks or packs of different types.

Tortilla wraps, part baked baguettes and the part baked soda baguettes

Lavazza coffe – 500g for about what you pay for 250g in most shops

Croissants etc – big tray for £3.99

I could go on….Oh and the pizza at the cafe is yummy 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

See andy i got hammered the other week for rating their meat.

I still rate it.

Need to get a bigger freezer in the new kitchen….

RobHilton
    Free Member

Good to hear about the quality of the meat

The cheapest mince is a bit shit, but it is cheap 🙂

tomhoward

It’s like shopping when you were 5, and everything is massive. But you are a grown up.

I love it but can’t get there very often, but when I do I spend loads and stack the freezer. Then gorge on their loch fyne smoked salmon. Omnomnomnom.

Drac

Their beef is Scotch Beef who provide places like M&S so yes it’s good but not as good as decent butcher.

damitamit
    Free Member

Dont forget, the new website has many items on it that they don’t carry in store.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘I still love Costco’ is closed to new replies.