Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I quite fancy a 1970's vintage Omega
  • jkomo

1970’s preferably, not mega money, maybe £400ish.
    In reality will it be okay as an everyday watch, or will it only work as a watch to get out occasionally?
    Any experts in tonight?

shifter
    Free Member

I’m no expert but, if you fancy one, buy one, and wear it!
    No point having one and not wearing it, that’d be like having a nice bike and not getting it muddy.

jkomo

Well I’ll definitely wear it, just wondered how reliable it’ll be.
    I can’t really afford to keep getting it serviced.

bearnecessities

An excellent choice 😀

1972 Omega Geneve here, Hirsch genuine croc strap (did you know Omega straps cost 4x more but are the same ones made by Hirsch?!) and Omega buckle.

Manual wind, but actually a nice morning tradition – mine has remained perfect time for circa 3 months.

Pushing it with £400 for a nice example, add a bit more and you’re there. Don’t go for the “faded faces” ones, there are some belters available.

Worn every day 😀
    (sorry for fuzzy pics; autofocus borked on phone)

With a crappy strap:

Decent strap, but crappy camera.

withersea
    Free Member

I’ve got a gold seamaster, have serviced three times over a twenty-two year period and have spent circa £100-£150 per service.

Lovely watches and hold their money really well and much more subtle than the newer big brash versions.

jkomo
    bearnecessities

IMO, overpriced. Are you looking for a classic/discrete look? If so, IMO you would think twice if you saw it on your wrist.

EDIT: Again, it’s a style that looks dated. If you’re ok with that then that’s fine, but you can get some much better prices on fleaBay TBH.

jkomo

Ok, I’ll look.
    I am after this style, I really like it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

If its been cared for properly, serviced when required by someone that knows how, then it should be a good timepiece for 60 years or more. By the time it’s 100 it’s more of a pretty ring than a good timepiece. That’s the guide for a quality mechanical. IF it’s been cared for.

Life of a quality quartz is probably 30 ish years so I’ve read.

My 1959 sea master is a decent everyday watch, keeps time pretty well, well enough to use and trust.

Scapegoat

I wear a 1972 gold-plated (don’t think Omega called it gold-plate though) Constellation Chronometer. It’s a nice classic understated look, keeps good time and works well. It benefits from regular servicing. My Dad bought it with a cash legacy left by his Mum, and I inherited when he died. Interestingly I’ve got the original receipt. It was £75!!
    Stock web image only I’m afraid
    http://watchesdb.com/imgs/a/b/j/r/o/1967_mans1967_gold_omega_constellation_watch__automatic_chronometer_2_lgw.jpg

RoganJosh
    Free Member

£75, that’s amazing scapegoat. No amount of money in the world should make you part with that.

I’ve got a modern day Seamaster, but I’d love an old Geneve. Couple of lovely watches on here.

Scapegoat

Part with it? I only take it off for mountain biking, swimming, washing and sleeping! Dad lost it once while gardening, and eventually claimed off the insurance. Eighteen months later his new dog came in from the garden and dropped it at his feet. Thinking it would be knackered he ran it under the tap to get the soil off and it started running. Despite being worn daily by me since I inherited it, it still has about 90% gold colour left, so that’s testament to the plating quality. No, it’ll never go anywhere.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve got an old Geneve automatic i wear occasionally. I assumed it was worth about 100 quid 🙂

totalshell

i have a 50’s seamaster that i only wear with a suit.. simple understated thin fragile even too much so for everyday wear for a plumber..

neilnevill
    Free Member

Filled gold scapegoat? Or rolled? Both are thicker than plated

pirahna
    Free Member

Try and see a few in the flesh before you buy, the fashion was for small watches. Compared to a modern watch they’re the size of a woman’s watch today. There are a few exceptions, the Omega Dynamic is quite wearable today, in fact I own one. 🙂

benz
    Free Member

OP, I have a stainless Geneve and a GP Constellation you may be interested in. Both boxed and well under your price limit.

I’ll drop you an email.

michaelbowden

I have my wife’s Greandfathers Seamaster from 1955. Lovely piece he wore it every day and never had it serviced.

When I was given it a few years ago it wan’t running too well so sent it off. The only parts replaced were the crystal which had a chip and the crown because its seal had perished. Very much a special day watch.

Speeder

I’ve got a Chronostop though not the driver – lovely looking thing if only the strap wasn’t too big for my wrist, I’d wear it all the time.

Looks like this

Think I paid £250 for it 7 or 8 years ago

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Nice speeder. I like that. I’ve got a Halios Laguna, similar dual crown design, but more of a heavy tool than your chronostop.

derek_starship
    Free Member

My Constellation F300 circa. 1973.

Electronic tuning fork mechanism. I love this watch.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Very Nice DS. Retro chic, yet timeless..if that’s possible.

CountZero

I like your Chronostop, speeder, I remember those when they came out, and always rather fancied one. The mesh strap’s nice, too. I’ve just got a heavier version ‘sharkskin’ for my Seiko, and I love it, I’ve also got a similar Tissot mesh strap from the 70’s, that I used to have on my Yema Rallygraf, but I’ve swapped it for a leather strap with deployment catch, and I’m now wearing the Yema as my work watch, having had it serviced, and not having worn it since the early 80’s. It’s nice to still be able to wear a mechanical watch from forty years ago, that still looks good, and keeps good time.
    Provided you remember to wind it up… 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

I picked up this 1972 Omega Seamaster F300Hz ‘Cone’ hummer a few months ago.
    I’d always wanted one in my collection but getting hard to find a decent one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I quite fancy a 1970's vintage Omega’ is closed to new replies.