Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I need to go to sleep. Thought excercises.
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

As title. Got my wee book of zen-thinking for nodding off but i feel even too wound up for that today.

Stop my cognitive thought!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Read some of the threads you’ve started?

EDIT: Sorry, couldn’t resist. 🙂

Or read mine.

DezB
    Free Member

Deep breathing. Think about filling your lungs. Then fill them a bit more, to your stomach. Then empty your lungs, completely.
    Repeat.

sam_underhill

Concentrate on a little orb in your big toe moving vveeerrrryyyyy sllllowwwwlllly up through your foot, up through your legs etc. Hopefully, by the time the orb gets to your head, you’ve fallen asleep.

JulianA
    Free Member

Well if it all kicks off in the Crimea and WW3 starts perhaps we won’t have to think about how to get to sleep any more as we’ll all be dead. Which somehow feels like a relief, sometimes. Like now.

Pieface

Tell yourself a bed-time story based on little animals driving heavy machinery. Just keep going with the surrealism – work it like a Max Mallett, spontaneous storylines etc… generally works for me.

butcher

Bottle of whisky should do it.

In all seriousness, I’ve always found doing this zen shizzle at bedtime to be counter-productive. We often associate relaxation with sleep, but we can be relaxed and wide awake too, which really is the whole premise of Zen. To be completely lucid. And there’s something about trying to sleep that will guarantee you will never get to sleep.

Do it earlier in the evening. You’ll still be more settled come bedtime, and you’ll hopefully be thinking about sleep less when the time comes, and thus more likely to sleep. Failing that, book or film in bed…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Beer Wine Whyskey and step away from the device that is making your brain more active.

slowoldman

Pick your favourite MTB route and imagine in detail that you are riding it. See how far you get before you drop off (good pun but honestly not intended).

tenfoot

Deep breathing. Think about filling your lungs. Then fill them a bit more, to your stomach. Then empty your lungs, completely.Repeat.

This has worked for me, in the past.

I’ve also used counting sheep, which takes your mind off of what’s keeping you awake. I found that only worked sporadically though.

These days, I tend to just think about riding, or my kids, and eventually drift off.

As Matt Johnson from The The once wrote –
    “, I’ve got too much energy to switch off my mind
    But not enough to get myself organised”

Never been a great sleeper, unfortunately.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I picture blackness and don’t let any other thoughts into my head if I’m struggling.

boxfish
    Free Member

Red-dot meditation works for me. Or beer, lots of it.

spud-face

talksport on the radio – better than a blow to the head. (not right now, 10pm-1am it’s good)
    coughcoughmumbleoneoffthewristcoughmumble

boxfish
    Free Member

^ the missus doesn’t always react favourably to that one

EDIT: the radio, of course….ahem

althepal

I always used to re-ride spooky woods in my head.. not working tonight as been in pain and been napping all day..

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t bother with that counting sheep crap. I’ve never had more than two sheep in my bedroom at any one time, so at best it takes two seconds.

singletrackmind

Stop drinking caffeine after 1pm / lunchtime.
    Think about a blank rectangulat blackboard with nothing written on it.
    Try reading a book you have already read.
    Switch off all electronics 30 mins before you want to go to sleep.
    Maybe do more prep for the morning so you are not getting frazzled by rushing around at 0700 to get out the door asap.

Then relax and stop worrying about stuff that you have no control over , and at the end of the day are not really that important.
    I used to suffer from what i call 100mph head. Body really tired and just wanting sleep, brain going full tilt trying to sort out work related problems. Till I stopped caring more than neccessary about work related issues . Now normally fully asleep within 10 mins of lights out , and 8 – 9 hrs later wake up, even at 8.30pm.

Colleagues stay up till 11 as they ‘ dont feel they have had any free time ‘ if they go to bed early . What do they do with all the extra ‘freetime’ they have by staying up later?
    Watch rubbish tele.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I always try and remember my favourite route up blencathra. That usually does it. Trying to remember what comes next takes my mind if stuff and I’m off pretty quickly. Unusual for that not to work for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I need to go to sleep. Thought excercises.’ is closed to new replies.