Home Forums Chat Forum I need a new work laptop, what’s good?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • I need a new work laptop, what’s good?
  • metalheart
    Free Member

At work (for Revit use) we used to get Lenovo P5x’s.

There was about a 30% motherboard failure rate across about 30-40 units in less that 3 years (most within a year). I’ve an older on (P52) which seems to be alright (not that heavy a Revit user), mostly just multiple Office files, heaps of pdf’s (at the same time) and autocad (plus outlook, Teams and edge always open…).

When someone leaves ICT take back and reallocate it for non-Revit work and replace new starts with HP Z-somethings for Engineers/Architectural staff….

I also have a personal P42 or 43 that I got 30% off on their offer pre-Covid which I rarely use as with hybrid/wfh, little point… but I got cause I liked my first (work) ThinkPad.

mmannerr

I have had loads of different laptops via work and customers, my preference would be a HP Elitebook or proper Thinkpad  with 14” screen, WWAN module and the nipple. For HP’s I’d want to see the screen first, they used to sell some unusually dim screen configurations back in the day.

Only computer ever that has died on me unexpectedly during work day the was an Elitebook, the machine just went blank and at service center they couldn’t even save the SSD. No report was delivered but it unique issue on fleet of few hundred laptops.

edge85

I’ve just been ‘upgraded’ to a Surface and i’m not enjoying it. Seems slow and runs very hot, everything just feels like its slower. Hopefully work will let me keep the Lenovo Thinkpad and send this back!

My previous Thinkpads have never let me down and were only replaced when my employer sent me a new one.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input everyone. Finally went with the “better the devil you know” option (another Lenovo IdeaPad).

IdeaPad Pro 14″ with Ryzen 7 8845HS,  Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb DDR5, 512gb SSD, 120hz OLED (2880 x 1800 pixels / 2.8K?),  WiFi 6E.

mattyfez

Just to be a nit-picker it sounds like the dedicated GPU is surplus to requirement so you might have been able to save a bit of money there depending on how much you paid for the laptop.

devash
    Free Member

@mattyfez I got it on an offer for the same price as the standard one without dedicated graphics was going for on the Lenovo site, so essentially the GPU was a free upgrade – very happy!

mattyfez

Happy days then! it sounds like a good laptop.

Gwan then .. was it new or a refurb, and watcha pay for it?

devash
    Free Member

Brand new, £999 reduced from £1,199.

edhornby

We have HP elite books through our work, only had good experiences with them

Have a surface for home and I hate the bloody thing it’s so underpowered

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.