Home Forums Bike Forum I need a new multi-tool

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I need a new multi-tool
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The one I have had for a quarter of a century is finally going to be replaced – the chain extractor pin fell out and is lost, now I’ve lost the 8mm adapter.

I know there are thousands out there, but does anyone have a recommendation for a tool that has a good actual feature that is unique or rare, and useful? Otherwise I’ll just buy another Birzmann one cos it has a knife – or maybe another Blackburn one that has the removable Allen keys. But then, I have lost the 1.5mm off that set…

darksideby182

Topeak Hexus X is decent for the money.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Topeak ratchet rocket.

there is a version that comes with a chaintool, f that had existed i would have bought that at the time based on how useful the thing is.

hatter

PB Swiss Pb 470 and a Park CT-5, you can customise the PB-470 with whatever tools you need but the ones it comes with are a good selection for MTB and pretty unmatched quality wise, it doesn’t rattle and it’s a nice rounded shape so it’s less likely to do you a mischief if you fall on it.

No integrated chain tool but I’ve found the ones built into multi tools to be pretty universally useless, the CT5 is tiny and works.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t see the draw of a ratchet if I’m honest. And those little hex bits must be an absolute sod to find in long grass if (when) you drop one.

No integrated chain tool but I’ve found the ones built into multi tools to be pretty universally useless,

Chain tool is a must for me. I have had broken chains, and I haven’t room in my minimalist saddle bag for a real one. I am ok with using the built in chain tools. And the handle on my Birzmann one (and the Lezyne one I lost) can be removed and used as a decent spoke key.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Blackburn Big Switch. Its light, has all the tools you will need, in a nice little pouch so theres no sharp edges.

fadda

Usual STW thing of recommending what you have, but I like the crank bros ones in the metal case. No sticky-out bits in the event of a crash!

Edit: I have this one…

lawman91

+1 for Crank Brothers, I have the M17 and it’s awesome, though the newer M20 looks even better with built in tyre plug tool and storage box

tall_martin

+4 on crank brothers. As in I have one on each bike 😀

pdw
    Free Member

Topeak PT30. Includes a knife and a tyre worm insertion tool, and has storage for your spare quick link.

tagnut69
    Free Member

Had a topeak alien for 20+ years still going strong, only short coming is the lack of a 2.5mm allen which I needed last ride, it has a 2mm and 3mm

lunge

Crank Brothers here too, works well, seems to be lasting, no complaints.

warpcow
    Free Member

Crankbrothers. None of that ratchet and bits/integrated rubbish. Just a well made lump of metal that works and will for decades to come.

ayjaydoubleyou

Only been a month or two but loving my one up in the steerer tube.
    Have used the main tool (hex keys) a few times, not needed the minimalist chain breaker yet.

a11y

Crank Bros great. Recently misplaced my commuting and replaced with a Lezyne SV-11 and would recommend – doors all the functions needed but a lot lighter than the Crank Bros.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have a Topeak mini 18+. It’s donkeys years old now but it just works. Haven’t had a problem with the chain tool on it either.

superleggero
    Free Member

I take a Topeak Hexus & a Leatherman Style PS. Hexus has all the bike specific stuff including a chain splitter that works, and Leatherman has well made folding mini pliers plus a few other bits, to complete the package.

This combination covers most bases without costing too much, and meets my portability requirements.

bikesandboots

Topeak Mini P20. Including chain tool, master link tool, and knife.

djflexure

Chain reaction have the crank bros tools discounted
    I got a couple of the Y tools
    They have a great chain tool

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/crankbrothers-y-15-multi-tool/rp-prod198281

P20

I’d stick with your Birzman. Lovely made things

escrs
    Free Member

In STW fashion recommend what you got

Specialized swat headset multi tool with chain breaker, it has every size i need for my bike (why carry more than you need for your own bike?) has a built in chain tool, carries spare split links and it replaces your top cap and star nut in the headtube without having to tap the steerer tube like an EDC

As it lives on the bike you can never forget it, easy access without having to remove a rucksack and dig around for it, little bit pricey at around £75-£80

granny_ring

Had a Hexus 2 for ages, the chain tool is as good as a workshop one.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I need a new multi-tool’ is closed to new replies.