• This topic has 55 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • I need a car. I have £5000 to spend. Which one?
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Well, I kinda disagree with almost everything you want from a car and everything everyone else is telling you that you want.

Get a Merc C Class diesel, and automatic naturally. 5k still gets you a decent one and it will drive lots nicer than most cars on the road.

CountZero

You could do worse than a Skoda Fabia VRs, not too big, pretty cheap to run and oodles of fun to drive.
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4071924.htm

hora
    Free Member

Bloody ell thats cheap.

We had a 06plate 2.0 one at 12k/ex demo back in 2006.
    The 2.0 Honda engine is known as pretty much bombproof.
    I’d have one. Hmmmmm

molgrips
    Free Member

Bigger cars are no problem at all except when parking and on narrow country roads. But to be fair it doesn’t take long to get used to if you have any kind of spatial awareness. The parking thing is just a little awkward, that’s all. More than made up for by the extra comfort etc.

zokes
    Free Member

A Honda Jazz. Very easy to drive

I don’t think they’re very easy to drive at all. Most only seem to have one speed: 40 mph, be it built up areas, motorways or A-roads. In fact, about the only time their speed seems to increase above 40 mph is when you find a straight bit of A-road and you want to overtake them.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Hi Steve, Get yourself back on that Ridley CX website; you’ll not regret it!

[
    IMG_1933.jpg by ian_warnes, on Flickr

Ian

glasgowdan
    Free Member

When my car dies I’m buying a Nissan Xtrail, 40mpg and 4×4!

peterfile
    Free Member

Get a Merc C Class diesel, and automatic naturally. 5k still gets you a decent one and it will drive lots nicer than most cars on the road.

I did this (Merc C Class estate petrol with all the added extras and sports package).

What you don’t mention though, is that every time you so much as fart in the car a random warning light comes on telling you to take it to a Mercedes garage, then the Mercedes people have a quick look at it and tell you to bend over while they bum you, stealing your wallet at the same time.

I’ve been quite lucky so far, but unless you are very handy with DIY mechanics (which I think the OP said he was not) then pretty much anything going wrong with an older Merc costs a lot to fix (even through an independent).

I love mine, but there’s always that niggle at the back of my mind that if something goes wrong it’s going to cost big bucks. Buying a Merc isn’t that expensive, owning one is though.

joeyj
    Free Member

I went for the VW Passat 2006 facelift version and have not looked back, excellent in all ways althuogh a tad expensive if you need things done to it (especially if you go to VW – £195 to replace a CV boot). Wife has a 59 plate mini clubman and loves it great for two kids under 6 and a good drive if you are in on your own. Also look at SAAB good cars and very cheap seen as they no longer exist but all parts are Vauxhall so easy to get a hold of. I had the SAAB 95 2.2 TID Vector Sport Estate and this was fantastic pity it had to go back as it was a company car

wellsronald18
    Free Member

Vauxhall Zafira is fun to drive; it’s a joy and no longer get the dead right leg after long journeys.

tinsy
    Free Member

peterfile, Mrs T’s sounds the same as yours but its an estate (don’t get anything like the fuel consumption you get though max of 38mpg hence I sugested he gets a diesel)
    Anyhow I dropped out of Merc servicing after the first reaming, I just get the oil changed and do anything it needs as it needs it. Not a lot in the last 5 years, contemplated having a cambelt done last year just in case & it turns out it doesnt have one… result. 🙂

Only bad bit now is any other car Mrs T drives is just pants compared to the Merc, so I am stuck until I can afford a better one of the same or similar.

Back on topic, I see the budget is flexible Monksie, take the Mrs out and get her to drive a CLK bit sporty, nice to look at & lovely to drive.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks everybody. She’s bought something small. I forget what she said. It could be a mini. She’s very happy.
    I’m hoping to get one of these:

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/acms/fietsen/pop.aspx?PicTitle=1_groot_x-night_1201a.gif&PicURL=/data/fietsen/fiets_350/1_groot_x-night_1201a.gif.v=1

Ian – Race you! 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Ha ha, you really are not into cars..

Enjoy the bike. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Monksie, before picking up the Mini get under the rear and give the exhaust backbox a real good inspection- these are notorious on BMW Mini’s for rotting through. Post-sale the Indie(?) will just say its wear and tear/age possibly but pre-sale you can do something..

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘I need a car. I have £5000 to spend. Which one?’ is closed to new replies.