Home Forums Chat Forum I mean, I think I know this but… is stuff on AliExpress probably knock-off

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • I mean, I think I know this but… is stuff on AliExpress probably knock-off
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve never (so far) had a warranty issue via Ali express, the handful of things that have been DOA I’ve just raised a request and most times it’s just refunded instantly. In fact I think this usb adapter is the first time it’s generated a returns label.

cookeaa

I do like watching the YT content from terminal ADHD sufferer and AliExpress adventurer ‘Trace Velo‘ who seems to have a roughly 50/50: Hit/miss ratio with the framesets and bits he buys and assembles from AliExpress.

I’ve had some useful things from AliExpress, but I’m not brave enough to chance a Carbon frame or bars, might try a chapy metal frame one day perhaps…

BearBack
    Free Member

I like the idea that genuine odi grips could turn up on AliExpress.

Counter to the off brand stem, I also bought some odi “brand” silicon grips. Shopping purely for color.

Odi don’t even make a grip like I purchased and the box is a very poor Chinese copy.

My sample of two suggest that “off brand” products are probably the same mould/machining, “on brand” are likely fake.

danybikey
    Free Member

That’s quite an amusing story, @feed! I can understand your initial confusion upon receiving a toy car instead of the expected battery and tool kit. It was certainly clever of the seller to package the batteries inside another item to comply with shipping rules. But don’t you think six weeks is a bit long for shipping?

FormerMountainBiker
    Free Member

Most bicycle components are made in China and Taiwan these days. And there’s good and bad. Many ‘Western’ branded products are in fact simply re-labelled Chinese/Taiwanese made products. Obviously stuff like Hope, Chris King etc are made in the West, but even that isn’t a great indicator of quality. Thomson seatposts are always just a fraction under the stated diameter, and need clamping up tighter than normal. Which isn’t great on an alloy frame. USE products I’ve found to be sub-par, in spite of being ‘made in the UK’. And loads of UK brands are just re-labelled Chinese or Taiwanese stuff; On-one, Planet X, Genesis, etc. It’s actually quite easy to get small to large batches of say frames or handlebars or whatever, made up by massive Chi/Tai factories. And then re-label/market it as ‘UK’ brands. Happens all the time.

feed

Re six weeks for shipping. When I buy from Aliexpress I accept that there was be a min 3 weeks for it to arrive. Their delivery dates are fairly accurate so you know when you order. If I don’t usually order bike parts from them as I usually need something much sooner.

cogwomble
    Free Member

I’m always buying stuff from Ali Express, but usually cheap watches, cheap electronics bits I need for the obscure projects I work on and occasionally car and bike parts.

I’ve had some issues with counterfeit goods and tricky customer service issues with some cranks once, (they arrived marked as 5devs and I wasn’t about to send them back so they can resell them, it’s also illegal to attempt to export counterfeit goods).

I’ve also had really good luck with cheap parts that are domestic branded. My ryet 3d printed specialike saddle is ace, for example, as are my Novatec hubs on my WTB scraper wheels I built up a few years ago.

I’ve just finished building an X Cobra branded alloy frame hardtail with a mix of spares and Chinese parts too, I’m yet to ride it but the CNC 4 pot iiipro E4 brakes are identical to Clarks 4 pot CNC brakes at a fraction of the cost, and the 12 speed Ltwoo RD and shifter are lovely items with a load of nice carbon on, but time will tell how they perform, and I’ve got some Elite wheels to chuck on my Stanton when the tyres show up, and they’re impressive quality for the price point.

citizenlee
    Free Member

My Ryet bash guard and stem ordered on the 2nd are now with Royal Mail for delivery tomorrow. Free shipping too.

Just away to prepare my will.

tonyf1
    Free Member

I do like watching the YT content from terminal ADHD sufferer and AliExpress adventurer Trace Velo

I’d not heard he suffers ADHD. Got a source or do you just like to think yourself clever for mocking mental health issues?

northernsoul

A few years back I bought some Manitou Mattoc Pro forks from AliExpress – they were one of the few places I could find 26” forks with a straight steer tube at the time. They’ve been fine (still in use, just not as often now as the bike they went on is no longer my main bike). I had them serviced at TFT without comment so I’m sure they were ok. My take was that they were probably “appropriated” by someone working at the factory in Taiwan. I think this kind of appropriation isn’t uncommon (Shimano have factories in China, for example), but you need to read the comments on the seller’s website to get a feel of how genuine a part is, and even then it can be a lottery.

cookeaa

I’d not heard he suffers ADHD. Got a source or do you just like to think yourself clever for mocking mental health issues?

Oh get over yourself, the chap is endearingly hyperactive and enthusiastic, and you knew what I meant.

But if you need to pick me up fine… Well scored internet point.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Just avoid buying stuff from china as much as you can, with the added bonus of not experiencing this kind of dilemma

Yes and no.

I stick to buying from proven Chinese brands (that sell well in their home market) or from companies who make stuff for western brands. There’s plenty of decent stuff amongst all the horrific tat.

LAT

is ADHD a mental health issue?

edit: a very quick google says yes and no.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My take was that they were probably “appropriated” by someone working at the factory in Taiwan. I think this kind of appropriation isn’t uncommon (Shimano have factories in China, for example), but you need to read the comments on the seller’s website to get a feel of how genuine a part is, and even then it can be a lottery.

I doubt it’s going out the factory door like that these days, the big brands wouldn’t stand for it and the factories won’t want to lose their big customers for the sake of a few frames. It might be the case with small brands doing one off batches though where the factory has to make a few extra to cover their own QC. But not for the likes of Shimano or Manitou.

More likely it’s just Chinese domestic market products that haven’t been through the hands of multiple distributors and shops.

I had a Shimano c/l rotor from a reputable shop* via eBay but it was made in China Shimano not Malaysian Shimano & was warped/much lower quality than one I had so I sent it back.

That’s just their cheap “for resin pads only” rotors. They’re not usually bad, but they’re not as good as the more expensive ones which are cut and then ground flat which is why the cheap ones have smooth rounded edges.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Ryet stuff just arrived.

Looks to be well made and finished, and the bar clamping area has a slight chamfer which is nice to see. No burrs or sharp edges etc.

https://pasteboard.co/RKWstVNoI5IX.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/CcSE94UX1Nrl.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/G09feDscjI54.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.