Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I know, I know, what new bike?
  • scotty38
    Free Member

I’m getting on a bit now but I’ve been riding many years, road racing at first then added a bit of MTB racing too. However I haven’t raced now for 9 or 10 years and have been off the bike for a few years, odd ride here and there excepted.

I’ve decided I want to do a bit again (not racing) and road bike wise I’m sorted but I dusted off my old P7 (about 1996 vintage I reckon) and while it all still works I fancy something more up to date.

So, I have my eye on a Whyte 19 Alloy but I also like the Cube Reaction SL too but I’m curious as to whether I ought to consider a full suspension bike, something like a Cube AMS 110 SL.

Now, I’ve never ridden a FS bike ever, so all I know is what I’ve read and one more thing you should know is that I live about a 10 minute ride through the woods from Sherwood Pines so that pretty much makes the place the default venue…

Over the last week or so I’ve ventured down there about 3 or 4 times and do a lap or so of the red circuit and a few other bits and bobs so I know I can get by with a hardtail bike (once my backside gets used to it again) but I don’t want to overlook a FS bike but then again I don’t want to buy one if I don’t need one.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

bol

How about a more up to date steel hardtail? Generally more comfy than an ally one, but arguably more satisfying than a full suss.

scotty38
    Free Member

Yes, I considered a new P7 but while mine is a model T Ford in comparison I can’t help feeling I want something different and to be honest all the steel ones I’ve looked at including the Whyte 19 Steel haven’t really grabbed me. Don’t know why that is though.

In the real world though, is there really that much difference between the frame types that you’d really notice when you’re up and down, rocks, ruts and roots etc?

wallop

Steel is real.

scotty38
    Free Member

That’s that sorted then…

racefaceec90

if you did want to try full sus can highly recommend a giant anthem x bike (i have a 10 model x2) is fantastic and i have never needed the pro pedal damping once (it stops the suspension from moving due to your pedalling rhythm) including road bits.i love mine 😀

tk46hal
    Free Member

Don’t bother with a F/S! Treat yourself to a nice Titanium hardtail with some plush forks and a good set of light weight wheels.
    I’m guessing your now over the 40 mark? and that is exactly what I have done with my riding needs and come to think about it, lots of my mates have done the same moving from F/S to good hardtails!

johnny

I don;t really want to stoke the FS/HT perpetual fire, and i should add that I have both, but if i was looking to have one bike, i’d probably get something like a Scott Spark, Orange ST4 or an Anthem X.

I ride a Cotic soul for most riding, and i’ve happily done some long (100k+) marathon rides on it. I also have a Yeti 575, which has done me proud in Scotland/Alps/lakes/DH trails.

However, if I was older, getting back into riding and wanted to do some big rides i’d definitely have a short-ish travel full sus. Bear in mind that an Anthem x4 as a whole bike is a similar price to numberous Ti frames, without so much as a headset thrown in.

For the record though, if, in my current situation i could swap my soul for a soda, that would be first choice! 😉

scotty38
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Definitely getting older and over 40….

The Scott Spark 35 looks ok so any view on how that might compare with the Cube AMS 110 SL?

I think a Ti based bike is stretching it a bit and I don’t think I need to spend more than £2-£2.5K on one.

Do you think I’d notice any pedalling “deficiency” on a FS bike, given I’ve never ridden on or have they come on so much it’s not an issue any more?

Someone will say test ride soon and I would but as you all know it’s easier said than done and actually getting a ride on a bike you’d actually buy is nigh on impossible (from what I’ve seen anyway).

steve_b77
    Free Member

All full suss bikes are different, but shocks are that good now that they nearly all pedal very well. Especially at the more XC orientated end of the spectrum.

The Cubes are great VFM but as a HT esque bike I don’t think you can beat an Anthem or a Specialized Epic

johnny

for that money i’d go for an Anthem x3, or maybe an X2, if you can find a 2010 one in the right size. It’s just over 2K, and gets a rp2 shock- plenty of platform damping there! Also has a 15mm thru axle-tapered steerer-fork, XT/SLX drivetrain, leaving you a few quid on the side for the inevitable spd/disco slippers/helmet/glasses/camelbak/alternative tyres that come with getting back into the sport…?

The Cube AMS 110 SL is about the same price, with a smidgin more travel- which might be the thing for 90% of the riding you can do in this country!?

I’m tempted myself! 😀

scotty38
    Free Member

Thanks again!

I asked the question on here hoping for someone to help in my decision and now you throw the Epic and X2 my way… So thanks for making it harder 🙂

The Epic Expert Evo looks very nice, might have to up the budget after all….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

if youre considering buying online check out

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/

they have loads of last years bikes dirt cheap. Ive just picked up a Giant Cipher 1 2009 (girly specific Giant Trance) down from £1800 to £1000. Weighs the same as my Cube hardtail (28lbs) and just got some nice light wheels off classifieds here (Hope pro 2/Mavic 717) to pimp it up, with a decent cassette will knock about 1.5lbs of rotating weight off.

Pedals really well, fork has lockout and rear shock has propedal so you can make it feel like a hardtail on flat/road sections, but with more comfort and more speed on the rough/downs.

scotty38
    Free Member

Still looking, still considering, still can’t make my mind up….

mboy
    Free Member

If Sherwood Pines is going to be where you do most of your riding, i really wouldn’t bother with a full suspension bike. Pines is fun for sure, but a full sus, no matter how good/light/efficient will feel like a help rather than a hindrance round there. Of course, if you’re planning trips to Wales, Scotland or the Peaks maybe a full sus would be more worthwhile.

On the hardtail front, Whyte 19 seems to always get favourable reviews. In the same vein as this, check out Genesis Latitude/Altitude and Core, the venerable Cotic Soul, various frames/bikes from On One etc.

On the steel Vs alloy front, the idea is that in general, a well designed steel frame will be a little more compliant and involving than a similar alloy frame, though it will probably be about 1pm heavier. Everything is slightly subjective here though, it’s hard to get data on “feel” when it’s all perceived. FWIW though, I’ve ridden numerous alloy hardtails and only ever found one I liked, but have had several steel hardtails I liked a lot. Titanium is/can be very flexy by comparison to both, whilst still being very strong, some people love it others don’t. Carbon is stiff and responsive like alloy, but with some natural damping properties built in.

Personally, in your position, I’d get a steel hardtail with a 120-130mm fork, lightish build, quick tyres (makes a big difference round Sherwood) and decent component spec. You’ll probably be looking at 10 speed if a 2011 bike too.

scotty38
    Free Member

Thanks mboy. Your comments about Sherwood Pines are spot on and to be honest I think I knew that but really wanted someone to tell me, if that makes sense. If I do decide to venture further afield then I suppose I can make do with the hardtail if necessary but at least it would be more suited to most of the riding I’m likely to do.

There seems to be a steer towards steel hardtails over say my liking of the Whyte 19 so I’ll have a look at those. I have looked at the Cotic soul but I’m not sure I can be bothered to build one myself. I know that sounds a bit pathetic but there you go 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

There seems to be a steer towards steel hardtails over say my liking of the Whyte 19 so I’ll have a look at those. I have looked at the Cotic soul but I’m not sure I can be bothered to build one myself. I know that sounds a bit pathetic but there you go

The 1lb weight penalty is worth it in most cases in my opinion. Obviously, a well designed alloy frame Vs a poorly designed Steel frame would be a different matter. Geometry is FAR more important than what the frame is made of. But comparing like for like, steel just generally “feels” nicer to ride. It’s as simple as that really!

Though the Whyte 19 is considered to be one of the best Alloy frames around in terms of its ride feel. But then again, Whyte also make a steel version of the 19 too. Suggest trying both out first if you can to compare. Maybe you won’t notice any difference, or perhaps the difference is only the same as running a 2.1″ Vs a 2.25″ tyre on the back, in which case you might find the Alloy frame more beneficial for you personally. A Whyte 19 in one guise or another (Ti… hmmmm 😛 ) would probably be pretty much an ideal bike for Sherwood Pines though, and cope with most UK riding venues more than admirably too.

What’s your budget specifically? If you could be bothered to go down the custom route (more rewarding IMO, and you won’t find a shortage of people willing to help you spec and even build, the right components and bike) then you are more likely to end up with less of a compromise and a bike suited more directly to your own tastes.

EDIT: Should add that I am a big full suspension fan, I’ve been riding full sus for years and really appreciate it where it’s needed. But I have always kept a hardtail too, and always prefer to use a hardtail at smoother, more flowy venues (such as Sherwood Pines) where the benefits of full suspension are negated.

mattstreet

Can only echo what mboy suggests – Cy pretty much designed the Soul for blats round Sherwood Pines and if you’re local to that area, it’ll easily cope with epics round the Peaks. If you can’t be bothered to build yourself (tsk tsk 😉 ) I’m sure 18 Bikes near Hope will build one up for you.

For value-for-money it’s difficult to beat the pre-built deals on the On-One 456 (in steel or Ti or carbon).

Happy hunting. 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I know, I know, what new bike?’ is closed to new replies.