Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • I HONCed today
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Perfect day…

Spent it accompanying Mrs B on her first HONC doing the 50km. I’m very proud of her as she did it without stopping except for tea and cakes and she really enjoyed herself. Came in almost dead on 4hrs which for her is really good.

Bring on next years!

martyntr
    Free Member

My first HONC for over a decade and this time was much more fun. Only the second time I’ve ever done 100km, and proud I am too.

Not a great a time as many 6 1/2 hours, but I didn’t drink enough towards the end and the choice of a cx bike didn’t pay off at the end, as the descents over Cleeve hill were hell. Superlight next year I think, it’ll make sense for the final descent which would have been amazing (instead of amazingly painful)

As for people complaining about competitiors on the climbs, next month at the Dyfi it’ll be people mincing down the descents which will p155 people off. You can never win….

becca29
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the HONC the second bike event I have ever ridden. Found it was really well organized and the food was appreciated half way round! The single track descents were fun glad I was on a MTB! Managed to get a riding time of just under 3 hours in the 50k know it wasn’t a race but I was the first woman back!

grahamh
    Free Member

Fatfish, times aren’t posted or recorded.
    Well the exception being the first rider round the 50k and 100k routes
    who get a mention in the local paper.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

i heard that the fastest 100 arrived in at 1.30pm ish and the fastest 50 got back at 11.30.
    alledgedly 2nd place 50 accused 1st place 50 of taking shortcuts!

to the lady in the grey shorts and white sleeveless top with long blonde hair you took my mind totally off my cramping legs on Cleeve Hill- thank you

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Wow,
    I got in 2.12pm! I knew I was doing ‘well’ as I was surrounded by ‘crossers’ and somewhat xc whippet guys in tight team lycra! (I was on a Cotic hemlock btw..)

clubber
    Free Member

Well it’s a bit repetitive but it was a brilliant day and as ever, the organisation was top class. Despite my soreness today (due largely to baby related total lack of training/riding), I’m glad that I did stick to the 100k route – last year’s blip (75k) being the only time that I havent’t done the full course.

Riding a cross bike was perfect and to my mind definitely the right bike – fast on the road, fast on the grassy stuff and nothing on the course other than about 1 minute of the final descent (the first bit with the grassy potholes) was remotely beyond its capabilities (sorry, grahamh – I know you were hoping that the cx riders would suffer 🙂 ), though admittedly if you rode a cross bike gripping the bars hard then I imagine that you’d have suffered…

Oh and to hh45, I’d love to know your finish time – it always strikes me that it’s the wannabes who have attitude, not the genuinely fast people who are almost always polite and can deal with being held up, accepting that it’s part of an event like the HONC where there’s a huge mix of abilities. If you don’t like it, go and race the NPS or similar XC events where being a grumpy git will allow you to fit right in…

sofaking
    Free Member

a big thanks to all those involved in organising a great day in the saddle.

i spotted some people cheating and taking short cuts off road which was not in the spirit of the event and wish i had got there numbers so i could report them to the marshalls.

they must have gained no end of places the cheating scum bags

🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

From the grins, I assumed they had been taking a cheeky, unofficially sanctioned offroad descent …

TrilbyQ
    Free Member

I have no problems with people taking ‘short cuts’, after all it’s a ride, not a race, and they are losing out (some inadvertedly short-cut, of course). I had a quiet giggle though at the finish, when a guy I knew said that he had ‘beaten’ me by 10 minutes, including a puncture stop, when the only time I actually saw him was as I rode past him panting away on the first climb.
    🙄

patentlywill
    Free Member

Great day out – many thansk to all the organisers/stewards/village hall ladies.

Did the 100K – finished – and there were still cars in the car park when I left – so not bad all in!

Donated to the Air Ambulance [/url] by way of thanks.

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t say people spread across the roads/tracks bothered me too much, as has been said it’s not a race. However it would also be a bit of common courtesy (and safer) if people did stay on the left whenever possible. Although equally I wish some of the people who were a bit overly keen after the start didn’t go barging through 10cm gaps forcing people to move to accommodate them :p

clubber
    Free Member

You’re right and to be fair, most people did keep over when they could but the fact is that even some of the ‘slow’ people are overtaking other ‘even slower’ people so you end up with everyone spread across the trails – I didn’t see anyone deliberately getting in the way.

Besides, anyone that bothered about getting held up has an easy solution – get to the start line early enough that you’re right at the front…

singlespeedstu

We had no problems with anyone trying to barge past us on the two seater.

I wonder why….. 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Riding a cross bike was perfect and to my mind definitely the right bike – fast on the road,

Ohhh I don’t know, as much as I’d like a cross bike I think a short travel XC / marathon full suss with pro pedal,lock out and fast tyres is also ideal for that course, my Rush was brilliant although I’d recommend having a bike with both brakes not just the front, ahem..

😐

clubber
    Free Member

The two of you on your tandem probably weigh about the same as me…

KingT – suspension is nice to have (said, having riden every other HONC before last year on full susser) but I reckon there’s no actual advantage and I’m pretty sure that I wouldn’t have been able to make it round the course with you lot if I’d been on an mtb. The cross bike is markedly quicker on the road/smooth offroad sections and barely any slower on the more technical offroad stuff since almost none of it is actually very technical. Plus you always get stuck behind slow riders on their full sussers anyway 🙂

MrAgreeable

Full susser with disc brakes and tubeless is definitely the way to go, that way you’ll have more excuses when things go wrong. 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

I saw a lot of cross riders changing tubes… 😛

I think something like a HeiHei on small block 8s would be a good ride around there.

My Five with the SB8s was surprisingly pleasant and quick. Most of the cross bikes that went flying by looked to be ridden by people that were much fitter anyway and would have been going past me on an MTB equally as fast. I passed quite a few cross bikes ridden by not so fit looking people so I think rider fitness is still a bigger factor…

GaryLake
    Free Member

Full susser with disc brakes and tubeless is definitely the way to go, that way you’ll have more excuses when things go wrong.

I think my Float 32s came close to packing up but they’ve been pissing oil out of the seals for a fortnight now :'(

hopster
    Free Member

@ mr agreeable are you targeting MikeT with those comments!!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

@ mr agreeable are you targeting MikeT with those comments!!

Yes he is, he’s a big cyber bully that Mr_A.

😉

hopster
    Free Member

I knew it. Where is MikeT to defend himself. Has he bled his rear brake and replaced that pad yet I wonder.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I knew it. Where is MikeT to defend himself. Has he bled his rear brake and replaced that pad yet I wonder.

I might leave it, ‘single brake MTB riding’ a new niche.

hopster
    Free Member

HA HA!!! He didn’t look like he was enjoying the last 2 descents with only a front brake. I blame it on being a ‘dale.

MrAgreeable

Hopster, you seen Hwe recently? 😉

My take on the “ideal HONC bike” is that there isn’t one. A flat barred MTB with fat tyres isn’t going to be as fast on the road, which what most of the route is. A CX bike is sketchy and fragile on the lumpy stuff. Those drop bar Singular things look like they could be really good, but then they go and muck them up by forgetting to fit gears. 😉

I know blokes who have done really fast times on everything from 6″ travel “all mountain” bikes to road bikes. For most people it’s just a fun sociable day out with hundreds of other cyclists.

hopster
    Free Member

Hopster, you seen Hwe recently? [:wink:]

My take on the “ideal HONC bike” is that there isn’t one. A flat barred MTB with fat tyres isn’t going to be as fast on the road, which what most of the route is. A CX bike is sketchy and fragile on the lumpy stuff. Those drop bar Singular things look like they could be really good, but then they go and muck them up by forgetting to fit gears. [:wink:]

I know blokes who have done really fast times on everything from 6″ travel “all mountain” bikes to road bikes. For most people it’s just a fun sociable day out with hundreds of other cyclists.

Yep just a great reason to get out riding and have a social. Do you want me to drop the trailer round tonight?

MrAgreeable

Hwe, you da man! I’ve emailed you my address.

hopster
    Free Member

Cool I’ll see you later.

grahamh
    Free Member

A flat barred MTB with fat tyres isn’t going to be as fast on the road, which what most of the route is.

Actually Mr A, you will find that for the last 2 years the on road/off road content has been 50/50. Its only because I revamped a old route that this year was biased towards the road content.

Watch out next year, I’m planning on upping the off road content a bit more 😀

MrAgreeable

Bring it on! 😆

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

grahamh – Member

A flat barred MTB with fat tyres isn’t going to be as fast on the road, which what most of the route is.

Actually Mr A, you will find that for the last 2 years the on road/off road content has been 50/50. Its only because I revamped a old route that this year was biased towards the road content.

Watch out next year, I’m planning on upping the off road content a bit more

—————————————————————

Which prob means it will pee it down eh Gra!

Thank you for an awesome day out in the sun.

Pickers

Bu66er
    Come to fettle the bike after yesterday and got a flippin puncture. Thought I’d got away with it

cheers_drive

I saw a lot of cross riders changing tubes…

Not me, well not on the course anyway, I did pick one up riding from the school building to the car afterwards. Beforehand, punctures was what I was most worried about especially with 15st of me coming down the final descent. The wheels need a tweak mind 😐
    Re bike choice: I only felt disadvantaged on a crosser on 2 or 3 descents and 2 steeper offroad climbs. Having said that if I wanted to treat it as a race instead of enjoying myself the biggest thing I could do to save time would be get GPS: I kept getting ahead of mtbers only for them to wizz past me at junctions as I looked at the directions 😕

sheldona
    Free Member

PMSL @ Sofaking 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

What was your number Sofaking?

sheldona
    Free Member

118 118, got your number 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

PMSL!!!

sheldona
    Free Member

Actually we were sooo Niche we had imaginary numbers 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A flat barred MTB with fat tyres isn’t going to be as fast on the road, which what most of the route

Try 490g tyres with 90g tubes and a 1600g wheel set, I wheeled and climbed past many a CX bike rider and as I recall I wasn’t struggling to keep up with you and the rest of LVIS peeps on CX bikes, I’m not willy waving but I think your statement is flawed.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well I HONC’d but i had a bit of a mare of a day. Started the night before, trying to sort my tyres out. Managed to prise my front tubeless nobby nic from the rimstrip after 20 minutes or so (had it on the bike for a year) and p*ssing about trying to inflate a racing ralph at midnight..Gave up and put a chunder 1.90 on the front. Left the rear as it is as i’ve been tubeless/puncture free for well over a year (you can see where i’m going with this)

Decided to do the 100k as it was more of a challenge. The only downside is that i was on my own. Got about 10 miles in and felt the back end all over the place. Stopped and realised i had about 10psi in the rear. Pumped it up and then another few miles it was down again. Got to the top of the climb before the 50/100 split off point and found a hole in the side that wouldn’t seal (****) Decided to patch the tyre from the outside as i wasn’t going to try prising off the damn tyre for 20 minutes. got down the road and followed everyone else to realise the 100k route was left at the road (doh!)

After the food stop it all went to pot. Started following a group (but also looking at the map) then realised I’d been down the same road that morning (****!) Proceeded to tell this old boy on a cross with gps but he just carried on (along with 4 others) Luckily met up with some ppl from west drayton mtb club and we rode together.

Cut a long story short.. we got lost quite a few times. The back marker marshall caught up with us which totally demoralizing and even he ended up taking us the wrong way (and he was with a guy with gps!)

All in all it took us a marathon 8 hours. What was gutting is i still had loads left in the tank at the end. I took it easy as i’d only ever done 54k before.

I really didn’t think how much emphasis was on navigation. Not doing the HONC before I honestly thought a lot of it would be marked (i realise now that’s not the point)

If i did it again, i’d do it in a team. It’s not much fun on your own 🙁

thanks to Emma, Arman and Rach from west drayton mtb club for the support

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘I HONCed today’ is closed to new replies.