Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • I didn't think I suffered from vertigo
  • firestarter
    Free Member

I used to free climb on antennas as I. Was paid for the work I did. The faster I worked the more I earned

I had a safety inspector out at one job and he pointed out when I got back down that he'd seen me thru the binos nearly getting pulled over by my safety line as I walked across a beam on the pylon I Was on as I clearly forgot it was there as I obviously never used it lol

Buzz I used to iceclimb in a pair tied together always struck me as odd tbh 😉

Amazing what I used to do and I still pap it on very easy bits of bike trails how's that work ?

marsdenman
    Free Member

marsdenman – Member
    'No, I thought you'd picked up the spare bulb..'

Don't laugh, I climbed NTL Lichfield- a 1000ft Guyed Tower, shimied out on the 4 ft crank arm, nekt down to undo the paging antenna only to realise the guy bring the new connectors up had brough the wrong type…

I had to wait the best part if 3hrs up there till he got back up there with the right ones…

😯 bet it only took you minutes to get down and kick his butt after that though…. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah you need really decent runners. The very tiny bit of winter climbing I've experienced had virtually nothing!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Brill video,

You can see the wording on the job advert…
    NOT A JOB FOR A FAT BASTARD.. 😉

Northwind

I wonder how many rungs I'd manage to climb before I went blind from terror. About 30 probably :mrgreen:

locomotive

😯

In a very sick way Id almost like to try that, despite being 99.999% certain Id hate it. 😕

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

'hello, is that Direct Line? I want to arrange life insurance'

'sure, what is your profession?'…

RealMan
    Free Member

'sure, what is your profession?'…

😆

jj55

Would a helmet really help at that height ……….

Amos
    Free Member

Like watching a frikin horror movie! My uncle was a lead beater at Salisbury cathedral and has been to the top of the spire on a bosons chair, apparently he has a total disregard for altitude, an attribute that evades me!

Northwind

jj55 – Member

"Would a helmet really help at that height ………."

If the man above you drops a screwdriver on you, yes :mrgreen:

lagerfanny
    Free Member

That's just plain scary mary, given me sweaty palms & palpitations watching that. 😯

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Lets hope the man above doesn't step on your hands; how do you get down if you get hurt?

Abramovich could offer me one of his yachts and I still wouldn't try that.

BTW, how do those things get built?

CountZero

Sweet. Baby. Jesus. That, seriously, made me feel like puking. I have infinite amounts of respect for people who can do that as a job. The thought of going up a ladder to clear guttering makes me want to weep like a girl, yet I can stand looking over a barrier at a long drop with no problem. It's the lack of security that's my issue. That, and knowing it's not the height that's gonna kill me, but the last half inch and sudden deceleration.

nockmeister
    Free Member

Similar veign..another vid that gives me sweaty palms…
    Hanging from a crane…

tails
    Free Member

CHIN UPS **** ME. I'd rather sit in a cage with a tiger!!

I watched the first again with sound that bit at the top is just bonkers I can't believe anyone signs up for this.

Why?

So you'd always have one on the tower?

Yes is that not a good idea?

Jamie
    Free Member

Very impressive. How the **** do they build the thing in the first place tho?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'd rather be with an Irish catholic priest in a small room than up there.

MrOvershoot

Teetosugars – Member
    You climb up the inside of Winter Hill so the video wouldn't be as fun…

Oh, and it did have a lift.

Until that accident…
    Mmm worked with the lift inspector who attended the "accident" not pleasant!

Been out on many tower cranes & structures with my previous job, and like Firestarter it doesn't worry me but I freeze going down steep stuff on my bike 😳

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Very impressive. How the **** do they build the thing in the first place tho?

Pretty much with a Gin Pole..

Or a falling Derrick and crane.

Its made up of sections, you dropthe 1st section, climb to the top, then they land the 2ndsection, while you bolt it together at the fish plates.

Just think of it as a mechano set.

On a huge scale.

oh, and then the use turfers to tighten the guys..

I built some of the towers down at Mocho Pond & Bush Rincon in the Falklnds like this..

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

original video has been removed

was it like this one: –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXuzrIN_x2M

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes.

TheFlyingOx

Similar veign..another vid that gives me sweaty palms…
    Hanging from a crane…

OMFG. Not sure how I managed to stop myself passing out long enough to close that video when they started doing pull ups.

I need a strong cup of tea and a think now 😐

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Mincers

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘I didn't think I suffered from vertigo’ is closed to new replies.