Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • I bought Shimano brakes and they just work as advertised,
  • scotroutes

Had to be done.

😂

desperatebicycle

Same here. And they’re 6 years old 🙂

mashr

Can we do a 3rd thread for “some of my Shimanos are good, some of my Shimanos aren’t”?

cookeaa

I’ve had the same problem with some of their Bottom brackets, they just keep on not creaking and working as intended… What am I supposed to whine about on the interwebs? I should probably buy some SRAM kit…

chakaping
    Free Member

At last, a voice for the silent majority.

😀

footflaps

All my Shimano brakes continue to work perfectly…..

ads678

I’ve got Deore 4 pots on my Reactor. the front one has ben fine, the rear developed the wandering bite point. Good bleed sorted it though.

I snapped my front lever in a crash the other week and replaced it with an SLX lever, so who knows how thats gonna go……

wordnumb
    Free Member

Just jealous he’s got nothing to complain about.
    I’ve never had an issue with a Shimano brake either.

scotroutes

At last, a voice for the silent majority.

Coming soon…

Fitting tubeless tyres is so easy.

Front mech setup – what a doddle.

And, of course,..

My Evri parcels always arrive on time.

dyna-ti

I’ve got a bit of both. Front works well, rear doesn’t.

bedmaker

How about “mine worked as advertised until I stored my bike upside down in the shed for a few days “…

fossy

I’ve had SRAM and it just works, for 6 years. Same with XT/SLX on the Mrs bike. Something’s not right – they work.

thols2

I bought Shimano brakes and they just work as advertised,

When you bleed them properly. If you don’t, they are a nightmare.

dc1988

Although I’ve never had the wandering bite point issues, I have had the caliper micro leak problem which I don’t think a good bleed will solve!

Mister-P
    Free Member

My road disc brakes work better now I have replaced the pads in them. I only put the old ones in 3 or 4 years ago, I can’t believe I had to replace them so soon.

zippykona

My xt v brakes have developed play in the parallelogram linkage.

chakaping
    Free Member

Although I’ve never had the wandering bite point issues, I have had the caliper micro leak problem which I don’t think a good bleed will solve!

Ooh, I think I just had that on a secondhand bike I bought.

Brakes worked awesome when I put new pads and discs on, but a day later they were covered in oil and squealing like a stuck pig again.

IdleJon

So did mine. I sold them on eBay for less money than I thought the retro collectors might think they were worth. 😀

dc1988

@chakaping sounds like yours is more than a micro leak, mine just means if I leave the bike for more than a few weeks then the brakes have no power and need a full bedding in procedure to get them working again. There’s never any visible leak but it must be happening

steve_b77
    Free Member

Coming soon…

Front mech setup – what a doddle.

And, of course,..

Tubeless tyres on tubeless rims with an inflator absolute piece of the proverbial.

Front mechs, isn’t that what Di2 for, oh bugger that’s Shimano too 😉

Never missed an Evri delivery.

On a serious note I’ve got Shimano brakes on 6 out of 7 bikes that have hydraulic stopping and they’re absolutely fine, once bled properly. I did have an XT M8000 lever fail on me, but that was after 4 years and much distance and distinct lack of care so to be honest that ain’t bad.

nickc

I’ve had SRAM and it just works

I’ve got mid range SRAM on both bikes – including brakes, and they both continue to give me no hassles at all.

branes

Well, yes, whilst I’ve never had the wandering bite point, I have had the leaky caliper. Plus a job lot of cracked piston calipers off @singletrackmonkey.

oldfart

Yeah well I’ve just replaced a Hope rear wheel that I’d only had for 10years only done around 25000 miles , bloody rubbish 😉

zippykona

Hope are the only hubs I’ve ever broken.

mert
    Free Member

Wasn’t that play installed at the factory?

And every shimano brake i’ve had that’s failed has been ancient (10+ years), crashed (badly) or bled badly.

(Look they needed bleeding, how was i to know that it was a bad idea to start after a few beers, and then drink more while i was doing it…)

fazzini

Coming soon…

Lies. Damn lies. 😂😂

Tubeless tyres on tubeless rims with an inflator absolute piece of the proverbial.

There are tubeless rims and tyres??? 🤔

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Next you’ll be trying to tell us you bought some Endura stuff and it fits. And doesn’t fall apart.

kayak23

The four pairs of Shimano brakes I have all work really well, the tubeless set up on four bikes was really easy and has been completely reliable, the Shimano gears and indexing on four bikes is smooth and shifts well, and brexit has been one of the best things to happen to the UK ever*
    *one of those is a lie.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Next you’ll be trying to tell us you bought some Endura stuff and it fits. And doesn’t fall apart.

My Humvees are 8 years old, I even bought 2 baggies and 4 liners. the liners aren’t so comfy anymore, so I’ve definitely got my use out of them!

MrSparkle

I’m not sure what the point being made here is. Are you trying to say people are making it up? If you’ve never had a problem – great, I’m happy for you.
    I’ve had loads of Shimano brakes over the years and they have been fine. The last two pairs I have had developed the death squeal. The first were probably because the bike was hung up in the garage. The second was newer brakes and the bike had never been hung up.

scotroutes

I’m not sure what the point being made here is

MrSparkle

Ah, gotcha.

thols2

I’m not sure what the point being made here is. Are you trying to say people are making it up? If you’ve never had a problem – great, I’m happy for you.

The point of this thread was that it’s impossible to judge how serious the reported problems are because people who have problems are much, much more likely to post about it online. People who don’t have problems almost never post, “I bought (product name) and it just worked as advertised.”

Nobody’s saying that anyone’s making things up. Many people have had wandering bite point (me included) and solved it by thoroughly bleeding the system and making sure the reservoir is full of fluid, without any air. The mechanism causing the wandering bite point is air in the reservoir. It can get there two ways; the brakes weren’t properly bled or secondary seal or reservoir cap seal is leaking and air is getting in. Improper bleeding is the most likely cause by far.

MrSparkle

Yep, ok. Got it now.

Paul-B

My Shimano LX V-brakes work amazingly, never even had to bleed them

phil5556

I’ve had SRAM and it just works

I know I’m about to jinx it but we’ve got SRAM on both our MTB & my gravel bike. I’ve had so few issues with any of it. Only real “issue” was that Level brakes weren’t great in the alps so they got upgraded & levers without Swinglink don’t feel very nice, they do the job though.

Even the NX shifter that I’ve just temporarily fitted works well and feels nice enough.

I must just be lucky, our Evri deliveries around here are great.

jkomo

You must be worried you have a duff set, I’d get them checked.
    Loads of shimano here in bee tue years, only the Road ones played me up.

chipps

My bike has XTR shifters and Deore brakes. Shockingly, they all get on fine and appear to be completely compatible. I’d better write a review in the magazine about it. 🙂

thols2

My bike has XTR shifters and Deore brakes

steve_b77
    Free Member

My bike has XTR shifters and Deore brakes. Shockingly, they all get on fine and appear to be completely compatible. I’d better write a review in the magazine about it.

That’s almost as bad as my mate who quite happily puts a SRAM crankset on a bike with Shimano gears!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.