Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 193 total)
  • Hypothetical Cat Question…
  • Helios
    Free Member

I want a more permanent deterrent.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8[/video]

zippykona

Owning a cat is antisocial and irresponsible. Buy a rabbit instead.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Helios vid is awesome! That guy is my new hero!!!

firestarter
    Free Member

Nice work 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Owning a cat is antisocial and irresponsible. Buy a rabbit instead.

My cat agrees.

dribbling
    Free Member

..and here endeth the thread.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Prevention is perhaps better than cure here.

I’ll bring my Rapid 17 down there to dismantle your goldcrests and bullfinches. Then the local cats won’t be tempted.

mightymule
    Free Member

Hmmm.

I deliberately keep my cats in the house around dusk and dawn – the times when next door’s bird feeders are at their most densely populated.

The local pair of Sparrowhawks were delighted at being provided with a veritable smorgasboard of tasty treats with no pesky cat getting in the way…..

Bird mortality increased by about 500% 🙁

mrjmt
    Free Member

To be honest, I don’t understand all this talk of cats crapping in gardens, I never find any from my two in my garden.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m looking into the possibility of building a contraption like in that video, but with my HW100 rifle lieu of a hosepipe…

The odd collar dove is a small price to pay. 😉

cranberry
    Free Member

patriotpro
    Free Member

mrjmt – Member
    To be honest, I don’t understand all this talk of cats crapping in gardens, I never find any from my two in my garden.

That’s because they’re in your neighbours gardens. If there is one thing I would give a cat credit for it would be that they adhere to the old adage “Never shit on your own door-step”.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

That’s because they normally bury it. You’ll only find it if you go digging in the flowerbeds. If there is crap unburied, on the lawn for example, then there’s a very good chance it’s from foxes.

pictonroad

Chilli/Lemon juice is unnecessary, just water will do the trick fine. Quick blast from a water pistol or the hose will be fine, you don’t need to completely soak them

As its Friday..

I have a set of cats and the requisite door for them to enter and exit at their pleasure. A local family took on a un-neutered male cat and it became accustomed to entering our house, eating the cat food and repaying the favour by spraying its FOUL micturate around my kitchen. This was REALLY annoying me. 2 years ago it was snowy so to avoid a snow/carpet interface I went round the back to go in, and their sitting on my table was the offending creature.

game on.

I am generally pro animal so wished to dissuade but not permanently harm the beast. I was already equipped with gloves, thick coat etc so I entered and pulled a box against the cat flap. I cornered the fiend after much hissing, once captured by the scruff it resisted and became somewhat resigned to its fate. I dunked it in the sink and poured lime squash (roses) all over its head, shouted an obscenity at it and let it know who was in charge round here. Opened the door and flung the feline assailant into a snow drift.

Job done I thought.

Came home the next day, it was on the sink drainer licking the washing up.

It either didn’t care or had a very short memory. Solved by buying a chip activated cat flap and the cat getting run over.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wish our cat would crap in next doors garden instead of either ours or the litter tray in the house, that would stop our dog from eating the aforementioned cat crap! 🙄

patriotpro
    Free Member

pictonroad – Member

Chilli/Lemon juice is unnecessary, just water will do the trick fine. Quick blast from a water pistol or the hose will be fine, you don’t need to completely soak them

As its Friday..

I am generally pro animal so wished to dissuade but not permanently harm the beast. I was already equipped with gloves, thick coat etc so I entered and pulled a box against the cat flap. I cornered the fiend after much hissing, once captured by the scruff it resisted and became somewhat resigned to its fate. I dunked it in the sink and poured lime squash (roses) all over its head, shouted an obscenity at it and let it know who was in charge round here. Opened the door and flung the feline assailant into a snow drift.

Now that’s one dark scene conjured up right there. *shudder*

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you want to encourage wildbirds, why not plant lots of hedges in your garden?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Solved by buying a chip activated cat flap and the cat ‘getting run over’.

FTFY 😆

Shibboleth
    Free Member

And I’m being lambasted for popping a nice little lead pellet in its brain for a quick, pain free lights-out. 🙄

binners

I opened the back door this morning to find a back yard strewn with feathers, and a happy looking cat. Wasn’t one of yours was it?

trb
    Free Member

If there is crap unburied, on the lawn for example, then there’s a very good chance it’s from foxes.

Apart from my neighbours cat that I caught turning one out on my lawn, although watching the little begger running up the road with a t*rd hanging out of it’s a*se ‘cos it didn’t have time to pinch it off before I got to it always puts a smile on my face 😀

Alas lethal action is frowned upon, so I use an infrared spinkler which I find very effective. Just type “cat sprinkler” into ebay or amazon

Shibboleth
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

If you want to encourage wildbirds, why not plant lots of hedges in your garden?

My “garden” is an acre of woodland. It has lots of hedges, undergrowth, overgrowth, coppicing etc. As I said, it’s taken a lot of investment to create the best habitat for birds and it’s paying dividends.

Nuthatches and treecreepers are a common sight, great spotted woodpeckers, all manner of tits and finches, goldcrests, and even kingfishers and dippers in the stream. Even had some waxwings last week. 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

You have an acre of land and all you can do is cry about a few cats?

Boo Hoo You.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m not crying Johndoh, just forearming myself with all the necessary information before the local moggies start to die from lead poisoning. 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

You attitude I do not understand – you love wildlife, you encourage it to come but you hate cats.

What happens when the birds you encourage start eating worms and bugs and cats?

I think you should either stop encouraging wildlife or understand the concept of ‘circle of life’. Disney did a good educational film about it that you might want to watch.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

You attitude I do not understand – you love wildlife, you encourage it to come but you hate cats.

What happens when the birds you encourage start eating worms and bugs and cats?

I don’t understand your inability to understand that cats are effectively an apex predator (apart from me of course) that is introduced into an environment where it isn’t wanted, by irresponsible owners who adopt an latch-key mentality to animal ownership.

Not only do I encourage birds directly (by using nesting/roosting boxes and carefully selected planting and coppicing) but I’ve created habitats for everything from microbes up to deer.

I’m more than happy for mother nature and her “circle of life” to crack on and take care of the earwigs, moths, bats, owls… Even sparrowhawks and foxes, as they’re part of the natural food chain. But I’m not happy about some middle-aged divorced woman letting her cute little predator free all day to decimate my woodland, just because she can’t be arsed looking after it.

Cats don’t kill for food – why would they when they’re spoon-fed prime cuts of meat and fish by their bed-wetting owners?? They kill indiscriminately because they have an unquenchable instinct to kill.

johndoh
    Free Member

But you have introduced the environment…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

No I haven’t, it’s a section of ancient woodland that was recorded in the Doomsday book. It’s a site of special scientific interest.

All I’ve done is to restore the part that I’m lucky enough to own and reinstate some of the habitat that had been lost to development.

Mother nature takes care of the rest, and she’s done a good job of refining this over the millennia. For some pillock to let an apex predator roam free is utterly stupid and irresponsible.

johndoh
    Free Member

Move somewhere with no neighbours then. Serves you right for having a house next door to your Utopia.

loum
    Free Member

I’d be interested in cat deterrent techniques too.
    It’s a different situation: a small garden that I’d like to let kids play in, and a pregnant wife so there’s concerns about toxoplasmosis.
    Unfortunately, neighbours’ cats seem to think it’s a good place to crap. They need to be persuaded otherwise, prefferably with minimum harm.
    Does pepper, chillies, lemon/lime or anything else work?
    Can’t get a dog at the moment 🙁

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Will you be killing all the neighbours too, so you can turn their houses and gardens back into natural habitat?

Also the foxes whose numbers are increased by food scavenged from human habitation?

Also presumably the rabbits that were introduced by the Romans, and the grey squirrels introduced much more recently. Also, you’ll want to be careful with your deer habitat since Muntjak, Fallow, Sika, and (obviously) Chinese Water deer are all only here because of humans. As are pheasant and several species of partridge. Also most types of mouse and rat. As for plants and insects…

As I said earlier, if you were actually interested in real, genuine conservation you would understand that we are the most dangerous part of the equation, and that educating people and getting them onside with conservation is by far the most important thing. That relies on showing people what they can gain from conservation, not on shooting their cats (although I’m sure you’re not serious about that anyway).

patriotpro
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    Move somewhere with no neighbours then. Serves you right for having a house next door to your Utopia.

Are you for real?

Cougar

Does pepper, chillies, lemon/lime or anything else work?

Orange peel scattered about should dissuade them. If that doesn’t work, a friend of mine had good results with (seriously) lion dung. You can buy it on the Internet, it seems.

johndoh
    Free Member

Are you for real?

As real as someone wanting to kill animals for having the audacity to behave like one.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Can’t get a dog at the moment

A dog would just replace cat crap with dog crap, which just replaces one set of unpleasant diseases with another.

Spraying a cat once probably won’t do much, but if you do it regularly it should discourage it. The RSPB recommend and sell ultrasonic cat scarers:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/catdeterrent.aspx

And have other advice on cat deterrents:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/catdeterrents.aspx

Cougar
    Shibboleth
    Free Member

Also presumably the rabbits that were introduced by the Romans, and the grey squirrels introduced much more recently. Also, you’ll want to be careful with your deer habitat since Muntjak, Fallow, Sika, and (obviously) Chinese Water deer are all only here because of humans. As are pheasant and several species of partridge. Also most types of mouse and rat. As for plants and insects…

I’ve shot half a dozen grey squirrels in the last fortnight. The only deer in my wood are native Roe. The only invasive plant species that causes any problem is Himalayan Water Balsam which I systematically cut back several times a year.

Introduced species are only a problem when they cause a detrimental impact on the eco-system. The effect of things like pheasants is minimal, I’m not concerned about them at all.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

As real as someone wanting to kill animals for having the audacity to behave like one.

Audacity? Really??? 🙄

patriotpro
    Free Member

just because she can’t be arsed looking after it.

And there lies the root cause of the issue.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Introduced species are only a problem when they cause a detrimental impact on the eco-system.

Cool, you probably don’t need to worry too much about the cats then:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘Hypothetical Cat Question…’ is closed to new replies.