Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 248 total)
  • Hyped trails that you found a bit meh
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

devil’s staircase kinlochleven. It was OK but no what I expected after all the hype.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

@gears_suck

Wow. You must be teh awesumz. Can I have your babies please?

The rest of us are just not worthy.

creamegg
    Free Member

Another vote for Long Mynd. It’s okay, nice scenery etc but the riding is average imo and way over hyped.

wrecker
    Free Member

Cannock. Went once, never went back.

righog
    Free Member

I think he over egged his point but I am with Gears suck on this one.

The Hype is not the fault of the location, the hype is who you choose to listen to about the location. If you like a particular type of riding then seek out those places, don’t just travel 100’s of miles because you read someone had a good time there, they are hyping it because they had a good time there, this was probably due to a load more factors than just the venue, Their mates, the weather, their fitness etc etc.

Most of the posts sound like you don’t like riding at all !

mintimperial

Ben Damph again here. Final descent is ace but unless they’d had a month of drought up there (haha) I’d just push up and ride down rather than slog round for 3 hours beforehand…

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’m not suprized that pretty much every complaint regarding mostly trail centers has mention of “The only good bit.”
    I don’t see how you can go out and ride a trail someone else has broken their balls to build for you, then bitch about it.
    If you don’t like the sloggy bits, you’re probably not fit enough!
    If you don’t think there is enough reward for your climbing. You probably aren’t fit enough.
    If you don’t get the “Flow of the trail.” You’re probably a crap rider.

This certainly clicked with me. Generally, my firends who are anti trail center riding are either not fit enough to just get the climbs done and out the way quickly, then lacking the skill/strength to make anything of the flatter sections/burnt out from the climb or lacking strength for that type of riding to really make something of the descent. For example I can see the blade at afan being pretty unenjoyable for some, but ghost train makes it worth it for me.

Peak district is very much meh, i think i’ve said it before, the traditional stuff people ride are pretty much just fireroads, but a bit more eroded, ie old roman cart tracks.

I don’t really get antur stiniog, it just doesn’t do anything for me, maybe i just didn’t get up to speed on it. In terms of jumps and gaps, there was pretty much just what was prescribed to you, same with lines too, just feels like bad trail center riding rather than DH.

ontor
    Free Member

Quantock hills are over-rated. Some great Singletrack but give me east Dartmoor any day.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ben Damph again here. Final descent is ace but unless they’d had a month of drought up there (haha) I’d just push up and ride down rather than slog round for 3 hours beforehand…

I’d be tempted to join you TBH.

Shame there doesn’t seem to be a track over from Loch an Eoin.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Penmachno. It’s like theyve ignored the last 20+ years of learning. Hub deep standing water in middle of a dry summer because they built the trail lower than surrounding ground out of hard pack with no culverts, camber etc.

And the trail itself is dull with no challenge and no flow. As if theyve managed to combine the worst aspects of a natural and a man made trail.

If I was going to “break my balls for thousands of hours” I’d do a bit of reading and research before all that effort.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Hard to believe Bike Park Wales hasn’t been mentioned… They hype for that place was unreal, bought into it, huge disappointment.

thepurist

Bowderdale and Doethie Valley were both a bit meh for me, really didn’t see a lot to rave about in the riding but both are beautiful places.

And last week Nutcracker was just too much for me but I can see it being a hoot if you’ve got the skillz.

sambob
    Free Member

Nant-Yr-Arian. Admittedly we got lost at one point but I didn’t feel the climbing was sufficiently rewarding. Would like to go back when the weather isn’t horrendous too, as that made us rush rather than take our time.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Behind Nationwide in Swindon, it’s been hyped here to no end but I couldn’t really see what the fuss is… oh, all right, it was too technical for me so I just went home again rather than risk it. Better to live to ride another day than burn out in glory.

scotroutes

Anything round Aviemore and the Cairngorms. A few hundred miles of forest track interspersed with little bits of interest. You could ride all day and never even find a pub.

thepurist

Not sure if Scotroutes is being entirely honest..

teasel
    Free Member

The Chilterns – totally over-hyped.

All this talk of great woodsy singletrack, hidden fast and swoopy downhills etc. is just crap. Anyone writing or talking about such things is obviously a liar and should be disposed of on the spot.

There is nothing good or appealing about the Chilterns.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Nant-Yr-Arian

the long loop has lots of old-school bridleway and country lane riding that loops you out for miles. In good weather it is well worth it for the stunning views (better than Penmachno 🙂 ) but would be pretty bloody grim in bad weather.

As for the trail-centre snobs; Munqe Chick and I are time-poor, due to sh1t near opposite shifts we get a massive 35 rest days a YEAR off together 🙄 so when we do get a rare opportunity to go off and ride for a few days, we can’t afford to waste time exploring and have hit-and-miss riding, and with a trail centre you can expect decent quality, weather proof (again, with the exception of Penmachno…) trails.

Oh, and Dalby Forest is lame and hysterically overpriced compared to anything in Wales.

Si
    Free Member

Quantock hills are over-rated. Some great Singletrack but give me east Dartmoor any day.

Much like Eastern Dartmoor I suggest it depends on what you know and where you look… 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Cut Gate/Dr’s Gate Loop

mikejd

Torridon – Coulags to Annat. Long push up over rocks, mostly rocks or buggy patches down. It is a footpath and probably better walked and enjoy the fantastic scenery.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

For something different to say I am going for Kielder. Been a few years since I was there but the Lonesome Pine was abysmal. The Bloodybush one just as bad. Went a few times just to make sure there was nothing that could redeem them.
    Glentress for just being too busy and the carriage way for holding water even after the longest dry period on record.

thepurist

Adds teasel to the list of people not to be trusted…

doubledunter
    Free Member

Sligachan to Camasunary = Relentless slog, cracking scenery though 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

Raven at Brechfa. Climb, climb, climb, too much dull climbs, at last bit of singletrack… oh it’s already over, climb again, down a bloody fireroad! singletrack too short, climb, okay down, climb and then a decent-ish descent but not worth all that faff.

Some I know love it though, but they also love their climbing.

Blade I loved but was hesitant as some love it and some say meh. I can see why as likewise there’s climb, down, climb, down, but the sections are a decent length and the final descent is crazy and fun. Not one for hard tails though. Not that you can’t do it but it just wouldn’t be as fun. I prefer it now to the rest of Whites.

Penmachno when I did it some years back was also a bit meh for me. Though the final descent was fun and there’s an odd charm about the bleak nature of the place, but I seemed to be on fireroad for a long time and the bleak open moorland stuff got tedious. I hear it’s had some work although looks like more smooth road stuff. Argument is it will bed in and become better over the years. Hmm, will see.

chakaping
    Free Member

Torridon – Coulags to Annat. Long push up over rocks, mostly rocks or buggy patches down. It is a footpath and probably better walked and enjoy the fantastic scenery.

But… but… but…

It’d be a dull world if we all liked the same things I suppose.

wordnumb
    Free Member

It’d be a dull world if we all liked the same things I suppose.

Yet people perpetually disagreeing over things that are basically all good makes for a dull world. Just an observation, aimed at myself as much as anybody.

gallowayboy

Sligachan to Camasunary = Relentless slog

I liked that……….but I thought borrowdale bash was a bit dull.
    Horses for courses.

Eddiethegent

Moab Slickrock trail. It took nine hours to drive there from California and after about the first 10 minutes I was bored. It’s like one of those tarmac skate parks and the novelty soon wears off.

Porcupine Rim the next day was outstanding though.

Klunk
    Free Member

seems to be an odd definition of “hyped” knocking around on this forum.

Stoner
    Free Member

I see so many areas put forward that I really enjoy. Can’t quite see the problem with some of them.

Penmachno is a blinder.

I Rode Dalbeattie twice last month on the rigid singlespeed and loved it. Technical challenges and a lovely place to get away from it all.

Long myndd is another excellent day out. You just have to take different things away from some trails.

As nickc says, I can’t remember the last time I got back from a new experience on my bike and thought, “well that was shit”.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There are a very many places you lot have highlighted as shite.. so shite in fact that you’d not go again. Thing is, you all ride em’ on FS bouncy things, which means… if they’re all that shite on those things, they’ll be great on a CX’er.

Cheers for the tips 😆

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

haha @Eddiethegent i was exactly the same at Moab slickrock! I did Poison Spider the day after which was better but i was still a little underwhelmed. I’m sure if i had a guide and some local knowledge it would have been a different story though.

taxi25
    Free Member

So put together everywhere is a bit shite 😆 Obviously different people will “prefer” different trails, but honestly hand on heart, I’ve never had a ride on my bike that I felt was wasting my time.

fergal
    Free Member

The Aonach Eagach, zero flow and not techy enough, up down, up down at one point i had to take the wheels off to negotiate a precipice, rubbish trail.

Northwind

Ciaran Path for me too, it does have some really good bits but it’s such a slog for the rest. An uphill downhill. A nice enough loop, if the water’s low then messing about on the rocks under the dam is great too, makes me wish I could trials. But location aside I think you’ve got to be kind of bonkers to ride it and not the grey mare’s and kennels descents. I suppose it’s easier though.

Innerleithen red… So formulaic, once you’ve ridden one lumpy berm and one jump you’ve done everything it has to offer, and all that’s left is wondering what’s wrong with the gravity and the weather, since you have to pedal down the hill as if it were a climb, and always into a headwind. It still provides a useful climb for the good stuff though. And Caddon bank’s alright.

whitestone
    Free Member

Of the hyped trails it is probably Minton Batch for me. Nice but I was expecting a three course meal not a chocolate eclair 😆

As for trail centres – most people who aren’t locals will ride the signed trails and it is these that they are commenting on. Saying “If only you had ridden the trail that cuts off from … , but it’s hidden and unless we told you about it you’d never find it” is missing the point of what people are saying is wrong with that particular centre. Continuing the meal analogy – trail centres are McDonalds (or Burger King or Pizza Express) – yes they provide the calories but they don’t do much for the soul.

Spin
    Free Member

Cross Border Trail, from Kielder

I thought that rather than being hyped Keilder was generally accepted to be a bit crap?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I agree about Minton Batch. It was quite good fun, in that there was a group of us blatting down it together, but there were zero features to it. Certainly not worth the slog up.

I rode one short descent on the Long Mynd that was good, apparently it was a bit cheeky, steep & loose down a ridge line, then a short & steep bit in the woods. It was over in about 30 seconds though.

Never been back, never plan to.

nickc

There is nothing good or appealing about the Chilterns.

heh, don’t bother with Hebden and Calderdale either, nowt to ride here, might as well give it a miss. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 248 total)

The topic ‘Hyped trails that you found a bit meh’ is closed to new replies.