• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by rone.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Huawei Honor Phones – Still a good idea? What fone?
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

I have an Honor View 10 I bought in 2018. Its easily the best phone I have ever had, gfast, good battery, good camera, stacks of storage, not much bloatware. But after a trip down the loo its now very dead.
    It is this model https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/51092cpx/honor-51092cpx-view-10-smartphone
    So is it worth getting a newer version of a Huawei (any recommendations please?).
    Or are Huawei now killed off because of trump/google ban etc. If so what fone instead?

TLDR Honor View 10 replacement recommendation?

stumpy01

My Wife has just renewed her contract with Three & upgraded to a Huawei P30 Lite.

I did mention to her that she should do some research into whether this is a good idea going forwards with regards to Huawei’s spat with America. But, given that she always accuses me of putting a spanner in the works, when it comes to her plans, i didn’t push it too much.

The phone itself is very nice – good screen decent battery life, responsive & the camera absolutely blows the camera on my ~3yr old phone out of the water. Absolutely anihilates it.

I’ve been considering getting a Pixel3a, but given the P30 lite can be had for £230 sim free I am seriously tempted.

There’s some good info about Huawei’s situation on their website:

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/campaign/huawei-answers/

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I would say yes, my wife has got an Argos/eBay Honor Play refurb that was perfect and a great phone for £130. My last phone was an Honor 10 but I couldn’t resist an unnecessary upgrade to a P30 Pro for £255.

edhornby

There are loads of android handset manufacturers out there that you can safely avoid Huawei. Nokia do good handsets at sensible prices and are vanilla adroid installs so you only have to worry about google (!) rather than Huawei add-on apps that you didn’t ask for and can’t uninstall yet dump ‘metadata’ onto the Huawei servers

5plusn8
    Free Member

Nokia do good handsets at sensible prices and are vanilla adroid installs so you only have to worry about google

Where I can’t find these?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I had two Nokia 8 phones before the Honor 10, nice phones to use until they both died and I got my money back. Your data is everywhere whether you consent or not, ooh I’ll buy a super clean Android One phone and then install Facebook on it.

infidel
    Free Member

FWIW I have a Mate 20 Pro and absolutely love it. Much better than the s7 it replaced and my wife’s s9, cheaper than the s10 alternative and I’ve even taken it (gasp) into USA….

rone

By far the best phone I’ve ever owned is the P30pro.

Just gone to Android 10 too.

They can be had for bargain prices on O2 refresh.

Fab camera, screen and battery life.

Pretty much flawless. Just move the bloat to a separate page. Done.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

huawei phones until the ban is resolved are not going to receive any google android major updates. Whether or not this is an issue for you is a question of how much you are worried about your data being leaked if a security vulnerability discovered.

The bigger question is whether or not the phone you replace it with was announced or released after the ban. If it was then it will have no google services on it which means no play store and many of the apps you currently use will not be available. You can of course side load them, but again you run up against security issues.

If it was me I would not, which is a shame because the hardware is great.

rone

huawei phones until the ban is resolved are not going to receive any google android major updates. Whether or not this is an issue for you is a question of how much you are worried about your data being leaked if a security vulnerability discovered.

Not correct.

Plenty of their phones are getting EMUI10/Android10

I got a major EMUI10/Android10 (P30pro) update this week. Android 10 is being rolled on a lot of their current devices.

Some of the brand new phones (not quite reached the market here) are still getting the EMUI/Android OS but not the play store.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Huawei Honor Phones – Still a good idea? What fone?’ is closed to new replies.