Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HTII Hope erm….
  • vancoughcough
    Free Member

I got two Hope BB’s, one for each bike. One I haven’t ridden yet.

The one I have been riding, I notice is starting to sound scratchy, though it can’t have done more than 700miles.. I disassembled the crank and noticed dirt had got beneath the plastic outer.. grease was slightly tinged with black on inside.. I didn’t remove the bearing seal itself.. I have had a little clean and a reassemble and it is quieter, but one side has a tiny tiny tiny bit of scrabble rumble.

Am I right in thinking this is one of those things with HTII? The Hope is my first HTII, I had previously stuck with square taper… so I am a little suprised that I am giving attention to BB bearings already, what with a good and cheap square taper’s tendency to go on for years…

Am I right in thinking that it is good to clean out the gunk around and behind the outer seal more frequently than perhaps I did…

I guess Hope aren’t responsible? Do I buy a new BB? Or the Hope tool and maybe the Enduro bearing kit (are these compatible?).. or should I use one of the new SLX bearings (I got a couple lying about new and unused) instead? Are they better? Would like to stick with Hope if possible.. are the Enduro bearings better?

Thanks

mr_mills
    Free Member

On the Hope website there’s a video about taking the outer seal off, wiping inside and putting some grease in. You’re meant to do that every so often.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

oops!

mr_mills
    Free Member

Not THAT often I don’t think. I’ve done mine once in over a year.

travellingman
    Free Member

Out of interest, why did you change from square taper when as you rightly say, it’s so reliable? Was it choice of cranks?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I guess so.. not much square taper around anymore is there?

I guess I should have got under that outer seal more often, but how was I to know? I am used to fitting and forgettting a BB…

Anyone know if the Enduro bearing kit is compatible with the Hope bearing tool?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I’m kind of thinking I might replace the Hope on the Ragley with a Pace RC80 or Chris King. I’ll keep the Hope BB on my Pitch and I’ll know now to inspect and clean that BB regularly around the cranks and arms and around and behind the outer seal. Then at least I will not have two BB’s to remove…

For a very high milage bike like my Ragley I like the idea of a grease port on a BB.. The Pace is a fair bit cheaper than the King with a similar grease port to the King.. I wonder if either the King or Pace grease port tool would also work with the Hope?

Anyone try the Pace RC80?

tablesalt
    Free Member

mines been on three bikes now, regreased the bearings a couple of times, and replaced the drive side one a few weeks ago, must have done over well over 10,000 miles.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

mine’s what? hope or pace or CK?

I love Hope, but must say I am disappointed with longevity of the bearing.. oir rather I am disappointed with the poor sealing..

That plastic disc isn’t enough.

I’m wondering whether I whether if I detach the rear side covers of the Hope bearings, will the CK or Pace tool work to inject grease from the rear? I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Pace has iffy reviews.. and CK’s injection tool is 40 quid.

br
    Free Member

rather I am disappointed with the poor sealing..

IME once installed correctly they’ll easy do 6 months (of a couple rides per week) between ‘fiddles’.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Mine lasted 2 months riding 2 hous per day. with no fiddling (I didn’t know!). No wet rides either mind.

Me not like.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

What are Enduro bearings like?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘HTII Hope erm….’ is closed to new replies.