Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • HT550 – 2019 edition
  • epicyclo

Jogged out along the Rogie track with the hound to grab a few pics.

Nelson Trees (think his tracker isn’t working)

epicyclo

Didn’t catch these names

epicyclo

Does Jenny ever stop smiling? 🙂 She has a huge lead on the next woman, and is in a good position to challenge the men.

Markus, relaxed as ever, stopped for a chat

and to pat the dog

Markus spent last night in the bothy near Orrin, but woke up in a pool of water this morning. He said along the hydro line the water was up to the underside of the top of his wheel in places.

I spent an hour waiting for the next riders, but eventually the midgies found me so I headed back.

swavis

It really is wetter than an otters pocket out there today. The burns will be getting a bit dodgy with all this water in them.

epicyclo

I found them 6 of them sheltering at the Contin shop. The last shelter for many miles.

The rain was starting to let up by then and it felt slightly warmer, so hopefully everyone will benefit.

epicyclo

The tracker isn’t showing Nelson Trees position, I’d estimate he’s currently within 10 miles of Croik.

twowheels
    Free Member

Thanks for the update epicyclo!

Out of interest, has anyone devised a lazy-southern-softy-keyboard-jockey version using B&B/hostels over 6 days or so? 🙂

epicyclo

twowheels

Out of interest, has anyone devised a lazy-southern-softy-keyboard-jockey version using B&B/hostels over 6 days or so?

I’d be interested too. Too old to lie on the ground with only a a bit of nylon between me and the elements. 🙂

Practically speaking I think it would be difficult because a lot of the route is remote and you cover large distances between civilised facilities, so you still need fitness to maintain sufficient speed to get there before bedtime.

The problem being if conditions slow you down, you’re then out in the weather and maybe overnighted without the bivvy gear.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Practically speaking I think it would be difficult because a lot of the route is remote and you cover large distances between civilised facilities, so you still need fitness to maintain sufficient speed to get there before bedtime.

The problem being if conditions slow you down, you’re then out in the weather and maybe overnighted without the bivvy gear.

I suppose you’ve got two options, take a lot of gear and be comfortable but slow. Or take similar gear to the racers (which isn’t much) but aim to sleep in accomodation so you’re not as uncomfortable, and baring really unforeseen circumstances will keep you uncomfortably alive and able to ride the next day.

Houns

Postie rich just posted on FB that he’s scratched

epicyclo

Markus and Jenny should be hitting Croik about now.

What happens with Nelson Trees who’s either lost his tracker, or it’s not working? Does his effort count?

Houns

Isla Rowntree isn’t showing either

qwerty
    Free Member

Houns – Islabike IG says that Isla broke her ankle in the run up to HT550 so currently recuperating.

Houns

Ah thanks, missed that

epicyclo

The rate of refresh suggests there’s lots of cloud cover out west hindering the trackers.

Or the Oykel Bridge Hotel cuisine is fabulous… 🙂

felltop

It’s finally stopped raining on the west coast. Brighter skies moving in. This could be a race of 2 halves!

scotroutes

What happens with Nelson Trees who’s either lost his tracker, or it’s not working? Does his effort count?

The tracker doesn’t matter fir that. Participants will submit a GPX file to “prove” they’ve stayed on the route. The trackers can’t be relied upon to provide that level of detail.

cinnamon_girl

Check out that hound! And those smiling faces of people riding bikes in the rain!

Shame about the awful weather and fingers crossed it changes for the better. Good luck to all.

twowheels
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon, @epicyclo – yes, good point- bivvy and sleeping bag for emergencies.

Here’s my first idea for 7 days and tbh I’d consider some pretty tough even with proper bed, meals and not carrying much! Maybe better to stretch it to 8 to make sure it’s actually a holiday 🙂
    0) Crianlarich hostel (0m)
    1) Fort Augustus hostel (100m)
    2) Oykel Bridge hotel (cheap room) (100m)
    3) Achmelvic Hostel (90m)
    4) Forest Way hostel (55m), https://independenthostels.co.uk/members/forestway/ (short day to prepare for Fisherfield)
    5) Torridon hostel (60m)
    6) Fort Augustus hostel again (90m)
    7) Finish and train home (75m)

Probably £160-175 total for accommodation.

epicyclo

Might be a bit drier and warmer tomorrow in the west.

epicyclo

scotroutes

Participants will submit a GPX file to “prove” they’ve stayed on the route.

So if you wanted to go into stealth mode, not having a tracker would be handy because the opposition don’t know where you are… 🙂

matt_outandabout

By heck. There are going to be some interesting stories from this one.

leffeboy

dots are nice but those photos are great 🙂

senorj

Interesting. Keep the updates coming thanks.

epicyclo

There’s a regular train of retired riders heading down the Great Glen at the moment.

And only 2 of the women still racing.

boxelder

Liam and Ben in Kylesku Hotel?

Cheezpleez

@thisisnotaspoon @epicyclo I rode the southern two loops in seven days in good weather last year (bivying). I was riding for fun, not racing, but those were long days and I reckon most would need at least another day to make the whole thing a tough tour rather than an endurance test, whether you’re staying in accommodation or not. YMMV.

epicyclo

Cheezpleez, I would want to enjoy it, so unlikely to take less than 2 weeks 🙂

There’s 3 riders who have either gone off piste/retired, or they’re stopped at the inn at Loch Glascarnoch.

epicyclo

Looks like the race is on.

4 riders within striking distance of Liam Glen now.

Jenny Graham hasn’t moved since last night. Hopefully she’s just resting.

matt_outandabout

How’s the weather looking – and how are the rivers…?

epicyclo

Weather looking much better, but there are mountain ranges between here and where the riders are now. The west coast is usually wetter.

epicyclo

Jenny Graham is on the move again.

matt_outandabout

Who is this then?

Second snapped carbon frame this week, seat tube snapped clean through, the other was the chain stay on a Nomad, the…

Posted by Wee Bike Hub on Sunday, May 26, 2019

scotroutes

That would Alan Parkinsons bike.

boxelder

I suspect James Hayden will have a very strong finish. If in touch after Torridon, he could make up a lot of ground.

boxelder

I wonder what Jenny is thinking about the Fisherfield river crossing. It’s likely to be deeeeeep.
    Go on JG!

epicyclo

JH has a very slow bit coming up while LG is on decent tracks.

kcal

@epicyclo – “Or the Oykel Bridge Hotel cuisine is fabulous… 🙂”

I’ve stayed there on an overnighter. It’s belting! All you can eat buffets for hungry outdoor types..

epicyclo

Fisherfield is looming up, and it looks like the race is on…

scotroutes

Liam now well off-route. Can’t see what he’d be aiming for as there’s no accommodation or shop along that road.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘HT550 – 2019 edition’ is closed to new replies.