Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HT2 bottom bracket – which one?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Shimano chainset, faced BB shell, shimano BB gone in a month. HELP!

Eggbox
    Free Member

Luck and correct fitting are the key. I had longer life out of an SS one than the shimano it replaced. But to be honest i don’t expect much from any of them.

You could get a fancy bearing press and just buy any with the knowledge that you could just change the bearing when they go pop.

snaps
    Free Member

SS & pop the seals off to add grease & cross your fingers (or add more grease every 3 months)

thomthumb
    Free Member

i just ordered an acros stainless from balfa; 2 year guarentee. £50.

no recomendation; haven’t fitted it.

solamanda
    Free Member

Sounds like they were preloaded too much when installed or pressure washed. They should have the absolute minimum preload to not have play in the crank arms, any more will wear them out faster. I ride tons and they last me years.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve never had a HT2 bearing wear out or prematurely fail due to structural failure – i.e bearings degrading/breaking

They exclusively fail due to the complete inability to prevent the ingress of dirt and water, resulting in a rusty, seized bearing I use a standard garden hose in a fine mist for washing duties.

It is always the NDS that fails, supporting the fact that they are inadequately sealed – the DS bearing has to date, never failed in this respect, since they are well sheilded by the crankset.

Frankly, If I wasn’t about to be losing my job, I’d spunk the cash on an ISIS middleburn set and the Superstar oversize BB. I’ve had it with HT2. Its not like its £89 quid for a crankset and £20 for a new BB anymore either.

st

I’ve just fitted some Enduro bearings. £25 and some work with a chisel and a vice had them fitted although I think using my LBS’ press would have been better ;o)

No idea how well they will perform but a bit cheaper than new Shimnao XT bb at £45 new CRC price.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m considering SKF bearings from Superstar. Their ISIS lasts forever.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Is there a point in buying ceramic one? Super expensive and for my wife’s bike?

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t see why its worth paying more than Shimano XT/XTR. They last (over 2 years), they’re cheap (XT are anyway).
    You pay £50+, it lasts 6 months, you start over again.
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product.aspx?id=5797 – XTR £35

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Not one HT2 has lased more than 6months for me. Thats an unacceptably short time period IMO. A year is reasonable. Even when I was running ES71s, the longest I ever got was 18months.

orange
    Free Member

replace it with a Hope one

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘HT2 bottom bracket – which one?’ is closed to new replies.