Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • howies hand me down
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hi,

I've been pining after the rucksack for about a year now and sort of saving up for one. I'll probably put a few more things up this evening. Anyone had any experience of one? Are they as good as they're cracked up to be, or should I drop my dollar elsewhere?

Cheers

Chris

dickydutch

Jesus, Ive never come across one of those before. It ought to be good for nigh on 200 quid!!

binners

If Howies normal standards are maintained then I reckon it'll last forever. I've had my Howies courier bag for years now. 5 I think. I use it every day, rammed to the gunnels in all weathers. Throw it onto trains etc. Its barely a scuff on it.

I actually want the latest version they've done, with the padded laptop pocket. But I can't justify it because there's nowt at all wrong with this one. I suspect its going to stay that way too

jcromton
    Free Member

Cool, it's an awful lot of money but I'd be waiting for the next 20% sale. Still $156 is a lot. I'm in the market for a nice looking canvas bag and am selling my current collection of plastic bags.

Is there anything else people can suggest?

fontmoss
    Free Member

i think for the cash you're wanting to spend then timbuk2 or chrome a worth a look, could even get a custom timbuk2 imported and save a chunk of cash.

saw a hand me down on flea bay a while ago so maybe save a search on there for a few weeks?

monotokpoint
    Free Member

or if you want other options, i find this site sometime has some cool ideas

**The Awesomer – Bags**

BigDummy
    Free Member

I saw one of these for the first time the other week. It did look very smart. Personally I'm not sure I'd trust myself actually to use it for the next 20 years. Although my (hideously expensive at the time) 7-year old Crumpler is looking good still.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my £18 decathlon rucksack is still looking 'good' 4 years on……………

Not even a broken zip, by that logic the Howies one would need to last 50years assuming mine fell to pices tomorow?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Are their bags as *good* as their tees? If they are, I wouldn't spend my money on one.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not my cup of tea.

Been more than happy with my Camelbak HAWG NV. Used pretty much daily.

BigDummy
    Free Member

my £18 decathlon rucksack is still looking 'good'

No, it is not. Nor was it ever. You just don't care. Which is fine. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I said 'good'

I never said it looked GOOD, but it has held all my crap for years, regulalry gets crashed on, camped on, driven over, and generaly abused, yet somehow theres not even a loose row of stitching on it!

finbar
    Free Member

my £18 decathlon rucksack is still looking 'good' 4 years on……………

I've had an Animal Technical rucksack for an honest ten years, and i've used it more or less every day. You don't need to spend £200 on a rucksack for it to last a long time, just get one without zips.

odannyboy
    Free Member

"If Howies normal standards are maintained then I reckon it'll last forever"

i nave a common or garden reebok back pack that is circa 1988 and one of my kids is still using it…its not all about the purchase price.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i think its based on more recent quality-the old kit i have from them is awesome

jcromton
    Free Member

All good suggestions. I have no doubt that there's other stuff out there that'll last the lifetime, it's not neccessarily that I'm after.

Just a nice rucksack made from canvas and leather so I can get rid of my nylon trendy ones.

woodsman
    Free Member

I haven't really paid much attention to them until this thread. The pic on the site doesn't do a great deal, but if you 'launch the microsite' it looks a whole lot of rucksack.

I wouldn't mind something timeless like that but not much bigger than say a Camelback Mule, myself. I'm looking for a new backpack, but I want it to be made of basic but rugged materials, and I don't want it to be 'camo', or look like I've just jumped out of an assault helicopter! Which the 'handmedown doesn't)

Suggestion anyone?

hopster
    Free Member

If Howies normal standards are maintained then I reckon it'll last forever. I've had my Howies courier bag for years now. 5 I think. I use it every day, rammed to the gunnels in all weathers. Throw it onto trains etc. Its barely a scuff on it.

I have a Tmbuk2 I bought in 1990. Its used everyday for shopping and commuting. At the moment it has a suit, shirt, lock and towel in it. Howies bag is overpriced IMO. Save the cash and buy another brand of bag. With the money you save you could buy some bits for your bike.

jcromton
    Free Member

This is why I'm asking because I'm still reluctant to drop the dollar on something I reckon you're still paying a lot for the branding.

However their rucksack fits my criteria exactly and I've still not seen one that I like the look of as much. (Hence why it's more than a year I've been looking!)

The Timbuk2 ones looks niiice, but still made from nylon?

johnny_met
    Free Member
    fontmoss
    Free Member

have a look on US timbuk2 site and should find the bags they make from other materials

CountZero

However their rucksack fits my criteria exactly and I've still not seen one that I like the look of as much. (Hence why it's more than a year I've been looking!)

There you are, that's all the justification you need. If you like it, and it fits exactly your criteria, then buy it. I've seen the bags in Howies shop in Bristol, and they're just lovely and I really, really want one. But, I have two courier bags, a Karrimor I got cheap around seven years ago and gets used every day for work, and a lovely huge Timbuktoo bag I also got really cheap that I use for everything else. I can't justify the money, and I have no serious need, so it's just lust after a really nice object, but you can justify it so get it. If you're lucky enough to blag one on a sale day, even better. As it happens, when I was in the shop I was looking at the Tomproof jeans, thinking how much I'd like a pair, when the delightful young lady I was talking to mentioned there was a 20% reduction on all stock for a couple of days…
    …they're really good jeans, with that lovely indigo dye smell Levi's 501 shrink-to-fits used to have, and I'm really glad I got them!

tron
    Free Member

It looks like a nice version of an old fashioned army rucksack. I'd personally look out for second hand / army surplus kit on ebay. Only a matter of time before something similarly retro and invincibly made comes up for a few quid…

The old German army rucksacks are very much in that style FWIW.

And I'll second what quite a few others have said – I have all sorts of old clobber. It mostly goes out of fashion before it ever breaks.

bensales
    Free Member

Whilst I've no objection to dropping a couple of hundred quid on a bag, I think the fact that they tout it as a bag for life that you could hand down, and then only give a 10 year guarantee is quite telling…

Disclaimer… I do like Howies stuff and own plenty.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Looks like a lot of people with actual experience of them then 😉

Well its all about to change – I have one. One of the satchel type ones and you can feel its quality. Only had since January but first impressions are excellent. Feels like a bomb would go off in it and it'd survive! Nice thick heavy duty tarp material is super tough, leather base for throwing it on the floor, padded laptop section and ample space for lunch box, copies of ST to read at lunch etc. Also has two nice sized phone/ipod pockets. The fasteners don't look up to much but have proved to be rock solid…

Honestly, I expect it to be carrying my lunch and my laptop to work for the rest of my career!

jcromton
    Free Member

Thanks DaveyBoyWonder. Good, sound advice. If I can raise the funds and my interview goes well tomorrow, I suspect I will treat myself (when they do a 20% thing again mind!)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Do it – I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even emtpy, its heavy – really is built to last.

Gooner
    Free Member

as Dave says they are brilliant. I have the rucksack and use it every day and its bombproof.
    Expensive,yes but defo better quality than some of the other Howie stuff (of which I plenty – some good and some not so good)

pjt201
    Free Member

wait until the next sample sale. mate of mine got one for either £30 OR £40. Nowt wrong with it at all. I got a pair of their selvedge jeans for £30 down from £160, nicest pair of jeans i've ever owned.

jcromton
    Free Member

bump

OK, so I've now seen one in the flesh and have 2 worries:

1 – its waterproofness. I was expecting a toggle or something. Does it let water in through the gap you get at the top on the sides? Mine would be used for commuting in all weathers.

2 – comfort when on a bike. Guess this is where I'd probably need the messenger.

Thoughts, comments suggestions? It's many pennies, I want it to be perfect!

bomberman
    Free Member

I would save your pennies if i were you.

iDave
    Free Member

you almost think it was designed by people who don't carry things when cycling? maybe they don't even carry things at all – or ride bikes????

tron
    Free Member

Jamie Oliver had one, or something very similar, last night on the telly. Surely that's enough to put anyone off? 😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

For commuting on the bike, I'd honestly look at a 'proper' messenger bag. Cheaper and maybe more watertight. For everything but bike commuting, I'd say they're almost perfect.

woodsman
    Free Member

I noticed that too tron, after reading this.

jcromton
    Free Member

Haha Jamie uses one?! I didn't notice it, but spent the whole program feeling a bit sick looking at his hat.

Nick

why do you watch him if you find him so disagreable?

jamesca
    Free Member

Tesco do a "bag for life" is that the same?

i'm not sure i would buy one for cycling with as the thing you want is it to be waterproof, however for everything else it seems pretty good. i would part with the cash for one.

most people on here disagree but i for one don't want the same bag for everything, but then i don't feel the need to wear biking stuff for casual to show i ride bikes

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘howies hand me down’ is closed to new replies.