Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How was the Merida Marathon in Ruthin today?
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

Gutted that I couldn't make it.

How did people find it?

Nezbo
    Free Member

it was great 🙂

weather was spot on 🙂

I did the 70k in between 4 and 4:30, and had a puncher about 2 miles from the line that took me about 15mins to fix, more training needed.

road some of it while chating Rebecca Romero 🙂

looking forward to next season…

project
    Free Member

A few things of intrest to me,why did most of the riders have a race number on the front of the bike with a red spray painted dot over the centre number.

Despite a few people haveing a few falls,you all seemed remarkably happy and chatty,must have been the Welsh hospitality.

For people who didnt attend the weather was warm to hot,some parts where muddy and erroded(technnical).There was plenty of hill climbing as well as some long downhill sections.

There was a chap on a cyclocross bike, two tandems,and a chap on balloon tyres about 3.75 inches.

Nezbo
    Free Member

The red dot was for the 92k and 70k split to stop them from going round the same loop again.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Was great, if you are the guy with the mangled mech on the Yeti who I stopped to help that was a bit of a highlight, I just missed the cutoff for the 92k and had an enjoyable ride instead of flogging myself round. Result!
    Followed one of the tandems down a fast but not technical decent, no way you would catch me on the back, never in a million but they weren't hanging about in the twisty bits either, sir, madam, I salute you.

bakey

I did the long one, knackered.

Even my teeth hurt…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Good fun,nice weather.Nice to ride some bits locally that you can't normally ride.Bit too much flat road bits for the ss and missed going sub 5 hours by 6 minutes-goddammit (for the 100).Next time I guess.

ollie
    Free Member

Good fun,nice weather.Nice to ride some bits locally that you can't normally ride

Here here.

For my first marathon I found it really enjoyable, A good atmosphere, good weather and nice trails.
    The only bit that I didn't like was the first climb and having to get off all the time because of it bottle knecking, same at the singletrack before the long grassy descent.

All good fun and can't wait for next year.

MrSparkle

I enjoyed it. There were a few spectacular prangs and did anybody else have a spider infestation in their tents??

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

Did the 100K with my brother having just managed to get inside the cut-off time by minutes.

I was feeling really tired at the split point and contemplated doing the 70K, but really glad I didn't whimp out as the 100K had some great pieces of riding.

Am feeling happy but spaced out this morning. Glad it was mainly dry, but surprised just how boggy some bits were as I thought there'd been no rain??

Anyway, can't complain – great ride, wonderful part of the country and weather was spot on. Can't wait for next year.

Does anyone know if/when the results get published?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Thanks to the people who picked me up on the fireroad after I smashed into the ground at about 30mph! 🙂 My right side feels like it's been kicked by a donkey, and my helmet's bust, but I finished the 92km in 5.5 which I was happy with (even found time to replace someone's rear mech cable too!)

Great route, lovely climbs. Best Merida of the year for me.

🙂

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Well organised and tough event.

Finished long route in 5hr 40m, struggled back with cramp for last 25km, the salty crisps at the last couple of food stops were saviours – nice touch.
    Gutted I got beaten by a woman(a double olympic gold medallist, mind you)

wheelz
    Free Member

This was my first Merida Marathon, which was entered as part of my new fitness campaign!

Really enjoyed the event. There was a good atmosphere in the campsite (although I didn't see any small spiders) and the 50km route was spot on – I don't think i could have managed any more with my current lack of fitness.

I did the 60km Brecon Beast route the week before, but I think I preferred the Ruthin Merida – less roads, which was good, although the climbs were harder.

Will definitely do another one, if only to lose enough weight to get into the large t-shirt I got at the end (they didn't have any XL sizes by the time I got back).

blades2000
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it, weather was fantastic as were all the riders i chatted to on the way around. Looking forward to next year, hopefully with a lot more training i will get sub 5 hours but this time i had to settle for sub 6.5, cramping up after 50km.

see you all next year
    Nick

project
    Free Member

Well have some pictures of riders 322 and 2468,enjoying the effects of the high gravitational pull of the mud,at the double water splash,about half way around near the resevoirs.

Thought id give yopu a chance to see them first,just email me,on email in profile,to see them.

Hope youre both ok.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Saw some nasty stacks on the slippy wooden plank bridges and some quality drifts on the grassy off camber descents.

Some excellent mini-bermed corners towards the end through the woods on a sort of fire road and I also remember a fast grassy high bermed trench descent too 😀

Not forgetting the few fast descents with sudden sharp right turns at the bottom!

grotto
    Free Member

50k route

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Looks easy 😆

ononeorange

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hurt a lot today though! Not as fit as this lot (above), as it took 7 and a half hours.

Hats off to the chap on the s/s who effortlessly drifted past on the first long climb, and to the tandem couple. OrangeEvo, I think we rode with you for a long stretch as we made the cutoff with a whole minute to spare. Plenty.

And a huge round of applause to the wonderful lady handing out nuts and jelly babies at the first/second rest stop. You were a heroine!

Wookster

It was brilliant how great were the marshalls?? Best event yet I think! Reallly looking forward to next years already!!

OrangeEvo
    Free Member

OrangeEvo, I think we rode with you for a long stretch as we made the cutoff with a whole minute to spare. Plenty.

Ah, hi there. Yes I remember you well. It was a good group to ride with – especially useful when we reached that road junction with no left/right signs – the "wisdom of large groups" theory proved correct. Never been so pleased to see a black arrow on a yellow background as I couldn't contemplate retracing my steps 😀

I was riding "fully rigid" – i.e. Orange Evo hardtail with solid carbon forks, as opposed to being "very excited" all the way around 😆

mAx_hEadSet

I am really pleased somebody took the time to post the gps of the route, thanks . Of course it should be noted some of the route of the Merida follow sections that are only available for use during the event because of the help and goodwill of landowners who not only allow us access to private land to ensure we can avoid needlessly long descents into the valley and then having to use well used tarmac roads improving riders safety and enjoyment they don't expect any payment other than we agree that riders do not use them outside of events. Those who rode the Flintshire Challenge will be more than well aware of what the alternative entails if such acess is unavailable.

I would therefore hope before anyone else posts any further copies of your map or offering the tracklog itself you ensure that recipients are aware of this and are asked to agree to stick to rights of ways to complete the route or as sure as tomorrow can be predicted to come the Merida will be forced to stick to rights of way increasing the pain for no gain…

ononeorange

OrangeEvo yes it was a good group. I was on the Ti 456 (rigid rear-end, which is what I've had since) and my buddy was on the black Orange 5. At that junction, it was incredibly difficult to actually decide which way to go rather than just stare into the middle distance….! Good to ride with you, see you next year.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How was the Merida Marathon in Ruthin today?’ is closed to new replies.