Home Forums Chat Forum How to reset my Twitter feed?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How to reset my Twitter feed?
  • spekkie
    Free Member

Used Twitter briefly a couple of years ago, decided it was too negative in general for me so left it alone until just before this latest election.

In no time at all its gone from the previous “a bit too negative” to “Going on here should be classed as self-harm”

How do I reset my twitter-world? Or do I just open a new account and be very careful?

I like Bikes / NASA / Airplanes……

leffeboy

I just deleted my account and started a new one but it’s nowhere near as useful a place as it used to be as it seems to be overrun by toxic trolls

scotroutes

There must be two Twitters.

On the version of Twitter I use, I see tweets from folk I’ve chosen to follow. I choose not to follow folk who post or repost  shite.

The other version of Twitter is apparently full of random crap.

Maybe there’s a secret code or something.

leffeboy

There must be two Twitters

You can choose to see only stuff from people you are following (iirc) but if you are using it to discover new stuff then it is tougher.

slowoldman

Yes, at the top of the page are two options – “For You” which is random shite that Elon’s algorithm thinks you should receive and “Following” which just feeds you posts from users you follow. Oh and some adverts.

somafunk

As scotroutes said above, I only look at my feed from the 100 or so folk I follow so it’s perfectly normal, if i want to dive into the musk shithole I click the search icon/#.

kelvin

Yup, two ways to use X… echo chamber or hell hole… neither are very interesting. Twitter was once engaging and helped people build networks across the world with new people and could uncover new interests. Now it’s just you and a few mates you could easily talk to and share with using private tools, or you are exposed to utterly depressing soul destroying shite posting. It’s over.

thols2

Only look at the “Following” tab and ruthlessly block anyone who posts garbage.

Jamz
    Free Member

If you’re browsing the ‘for you’ tab, you can click the three dots on the RHS and select ‘not interested in this post’.

You really have to be ruthless about not liking, or even clicking on, anything mildly contentious. If I didn’t use if for work then I wouldn’t bother because it loves to feed you hate. Generally the further you scroll down the ‘for you’ tab the deeper into the shit you go.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I deleted it, I just wanted to follow things I was interested in but Twitter disagreed and showed all kinds of crap.

scotroutes

Ah. You obviously had the other Twitter.

garage-dweller

Thanks, the posts above are the motivation I need to log in and then delete my accounts rather than re-engage!  Gave it up in early COVID.

lunge

The “for you” page was quite interesting pre-Elon. It suggested stuff that was interesting to you and showed you interesting accounts that were worth following.

But not now.

Now it’s a hell hole of hate even if you block and say you’re not interested in stuff.

Following is still what it is, your stuff and a few ads, but part of the joy of Twitter was finding new stuff.

So in short, it’s not great. “A hell hole or an echo chamber” is a really good description.

kormoran
    Free Member

Thing is, I’m following someone like Lewis Goodall for some decent articles but now his threads are just jam packed with nasty shitposting attacking him etc.

Same with other sane commentators, I ant see how that can be avoided other than switching off

scotroutes

Don’t read the replies?

kelvin

That’s not how reading Twitter threads works.

kimbers

Yeah agree with kelvin, scotroutes method gives you maybe not an echochamber, but the people you already follow , which is fine. However even then if they’re replying to something particularly egregious it’s easy to get sucked in

But if you want to discover a bit more the’ for you’ tab is now an exercise in extreme nonsense, a lot of unmoderated racism, bigotry and abuse all of which seems completely unmoderated.

It’s a shame because it was a useful site for learning about people’s first hand knowledge and experience from a huge range of people, eg Ukraine war or random stuff like movies or gaming nerds

kormoran
    Free Member

Don’t read the replies?

Ha ha, just like on here then!

To be fair I’ve mostly shifted to bluesky now where the discourse is completely different.

Twitter just feels like there’s a concerted effort to force everyone out by flooding it with sewage

lunge

This thread has given me the push to delete the app. 2 days in and I can see no negatives and a whole lot of positives. Goodbye Elon, it was fun (until you took over).

chakaping

I like Bikes / NASA / Airplanes……

Delete X and follow these things on Instagram.

davosaurusrex

I’m not engaging with anything that supports Musk, bloke is a right wing shit stirrer of the highest order.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.