Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • How to go Faster? Road Content
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

People I follow on Strava seem to be able to roll along at 18mph avg speeds over 50+mile rides. There HR data shows that they are zone 2-3 all the way, so not trying too hard.

I, on the other hand would have to go zone 5 to avg that and can only hold it for an hour as a result. I ride much, much more than they do, so how do they go so fast?
    Obvious answers are they are fitter, and are more aero on their bikes. But I know these riders and don’t believe this is the case.

Is there something slowing me down? Tyres maybe? What sort of watts would a fit rider expect to put out on a flattish route to avg those speeds?

jimdubleyou

Are they in a group?

whitestone
    Free Member

Are they riding in a group? That makes a big difference to average speeds and effort to hold those speeds.

Are you trying to ride every ride at max effort? If so then you’re overdoing things, basically overtraining, so need to ride some zone 2 rides until you’ve recovered.

Err, you can’t hold zone 5 for an hour – by definition it’s above your FTP which is the maximum effort you can hold for an hour.

lunge

Get fitter, basically. That’s all there is to it. Though if they’re in a group that’ll definitely help their numbers.
    Also, don’t assume all fast cyclists look like fast cyclists. There’s a guy in my area who is a big fella but rides mega-miles and is fast on everything bar the steep hills.

akira

Yeah you need to do longer lower intensity rides, by riding fast for shorter periods you’re training to ride fast for shorter periods. Longer slower rides will help increase your endurance and eventually allow you to ride faster for longer.

trailwagger
    Free Member

We are all doing solo rides. So its not a group thing.

I have done lots of low intensity big miles for six months now.

I am reasonably fit, but not mega fit. It just feels like I should be travelling faster for the perceived effort I am putting in

taxi25
    Free Member

If you can roll along almost effortlessly at 18mph solo for 50+ miles your in the top percentile of recreation cyclists. Don’t sweat it just enjoy your riding.
    Another thing stop following cyclists quicker than yourself, I’ve dumped everyone quicker than myself and feel much better for it 😉

mashr

Have you been doing any high intensity shorter rides too?

Crag
    Free Member

Are you getting more elevation than the guys you are comparing to?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

To go faster you need to either pedal faster or push a harder gear or both, it’s that simple.

How you maintain that is the trick and that’s where you need to work on your power output and of course your power to weight ratio (the ‘to weight’ bit is important as you can push out less power than them as long as you are lighter).

The way to enhance this is usually via HIIT or high intensity interval training. Basically training your heart to be able to operate at a higher rate for longer.

I’m sure others will have other opinions.

molgrips
    Free Member

You need to do base training (long slower miles) then add speed work on the top. Buy a training book. You effectively have two engines in your body, a long slow one and a short fast one. They both need training differently and you need them to work together.

Ewan
    Free Member

28-29kph is brisk but isn’t that fast really, generally that’s my going for a road bike ride speed, rather than killing myself speed. I didn’t used to be anywhere near that fast tho, it all changed when I started to ride into work – I generally do 90km a week commuting with heavy panniers and then do a 100k or so on the road bike at the weekend. The other option why they’re faster is because they may have genetic advantages – since it’s several people, it may be that you’re genetically predisposed to be less efficient (i’ll use efficient as a proxy for lung capacity, ability to use food to create energy, efficiency of muscles, etc) than the average cyclist (which is obviously a self selecting group in the first place).

EDIT: My other top tip is to get a power meter. It doesn’t lie, so you can see when you’re slacking off. Certainly made me faster!

avdave2

I did 55 miles yesterday at an average of 17.5 mph with an average heart rate of 134, 74% of maximum which puts it in the middle of Zone 3. I wouldn’t describe it as effortless by any means, my legs certainly didn’t think so.

A year ago I’d have been very happy with 17 mph a 30 mile ride and had my legs not been suffering a bit I might have gone a bit faster yesterday. The biggest difference for me was starting to use the turbo then buying a smart one with ERG mode a couple of months ago. I do hard sessions but also long easy ones on it. It’s great having something that both makes you work really hard but can also make you do a really easy workout.

whitestone
    Free Member

Without knowing the OP’s typical weekly riding it’s hard to say what he’s doing right/wrong or needs tweaking.

Whenever this comes up I post the same thing: most people’s hard sessions aren’t hard enough and their easy sessions aren’t easy enough. I.e. on a scale of one to ten, they’ll do a hard session at level 6 but their easy sessions are at level 5. Should be something like level 8/9 and level 2. If done properly HIIT sessions should be limited to one a week. By done properly you should feel like you are turning your guts inside out on each effort whether that’s hill reps or sprints.

It also takes a while, as in several months, to see the change. Back when I did a lot of fell running I’d a loop to the top of the local hill and back that would take me 60-64mins to do. I started doing one session, less than an hour including warm up and cool down, of hill reps. My times on the loop dropped to the 57-60min range then one evening after about 3 months I posted a 49min time. I was “like where the hell did that come from!?” All the training suddenly kicked in. From memory I think my best time ended up being 47mins or so.

phil5556

Stop caring and just enjoy yourself?

Unless you’re holding up a group, which you’re not as you say riding solo, then does it really matter?

(Disclaimer: I’m not a roadie and just go out on my mountain bike to have fun)

jimdubleyou

It just feels like I should be travelling faster for the perceived effort I am putting in

Are your brakes rubbing?

kcr
    Free Member

According to what you wrote, the other riders are not actually going faster than you, they are maintaining the same speed as you for a longer time.
    If that’s what you want to achieve, you need to do some interval training (as described above) to increase your ability to sustain the necessary power for a longer period. Doing “lots of low intensity big miles” will train your body to do lots of low intensity big miles; you need to move above that.
    There is no secret, unfortunately. Either the riders you are comparing yourself to are doing the appropriate training, or they might just be physiologically better at putting out the required Watts for longer than you.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Are your brakes rubbing?

feels like it !

tpbiker
    Free Member

18mph on the flat doesn’t take many watts at all on a road bike with proper road tyres. On a previous thread I stated that I can easily hold 20 mph on the flat with no wind whilst putting out 200 watts. In fact it’s closer to 190 required last time I checked.

The big variable is elevation however. I have never averaged 20 mph on a road ride yet have regularly put out more than 190 watts average. In fact I struggle to average more than 17 solo unless I’m trying to smash it, as my routes usually have close to 100 ft climbing per mile.

Or context, I’m not a racer, or particularly fast but my ftp is around 4 watts per kilo, so I’m of a reasonable standard in the grand scheme of things. Don’t worry about average speed as there are too many variables.

anagallis_arvensis

My general speed in about 25kmph average. Lots of people I ride with and can out climb easily go faster than this. I’m slow in the flat but they also do flatter rides on faster roads so our difference in ave speed increase.

miketually
    Free Member

Make sure you always stop at the same cafes and order the same cake and drink. Then you will be able to ask for ‘the usual’, saving vital seconds. #marginalGains

Flaperon

Are they bigger than you? Much, much easier for a big person (even unfit) to roll along at a decent pace on the flat while the smaller, lighter rider is going flat out just to keep up.

I have to channel my inner Quintana on group rides.

trailwagger
    Free Member

For reference here is yesterdays long steady ride. I have been doing these rides weekly since August last year. During the winter I did harder shorter rides on the turbo, and since the clock change have done a couple of evening shorter harder rides each week.

Daffy

I’m assuming you’re riding on different roads? If so, are YOU having to do more junctions, stops, traffic, etc? Even a few minutes stationary can have a big effect on average time.

Tyres/kit/bike will also have an effect.

My solo average on a 32c tyred gravel bike over 100 miles is about 17mph with around 7000ft of climbing. My power on this is quite low at around 160W. I also do lots of 20+mph commutes which last about an hour. These tend to average between 190 and 310W.

13thfloormonk

Pacing?

I do a little loop sometimes if I want to do some hill repeats, 3-4 minute climb, rolling flat and descent back to start of climb. If I smash the climb (‘smash’ being a very relative term!) then recover for 4-5 minutes on the short flat and descent, then smash the climb again, my average pace ends up being pretty high.

I think there is more to be gained from pushing on the climbs and recovering on the flats, than there is just hammering the flats and crawling the climbs.

whitestone
    Free Member

For a long steady ride those HR zones should all be shifted down by one. I.e. 1:38 in zone 1, 1:50 in zone 2, even 53mins in zone 3 is too much.

I did an 85km ride with 1200m of ascent the other day, a tad under 4hrs: all was in zones 1 & 2 apart from 8 minutes in zone 3. That’s a steady ride.

edhornby

are they younger than you ? This may be something you can’t just train away

Can you get aero ? I’m not talking expensive wheels, tt bike but getting tucked in makes a difference

Are you loaded down with bottles, tools, food etc? two big bottles full of fluid versus one small bottle is a kilo straight off the bat.

13thfloormonk

Where did you get your heart rate zones from?

I’m 85kg, regular rider but relatively ‘untrained’. I’ve just started taking an interest in training properly so have carried out my own max heart rate test (outdoors) and an indoors threshold test.

Results were approx 185bpm max and 164bpm threshold. However I’ve read that max heart rate tests can be very unreliable for untrained riders as they just can’t/don’t push hard enough. Meanwhile I think I went too easy on the threshold test and was able to sit at 170bpm going up the Sa Calobra last week (in crazy heat, which I hope explains why I was 5 minutes off my PB…)

Either way, if your heart rate zones were out then you might actually be closer to whitestone’s recommendations than you think?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Tailwagger are you sure you have your heart rate zones correct? Almost 2 hours tempo with almost an hour threshold on top of it is definitely not a long steady ride if your HR zones are accurate.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve found this year since refocusing my training from aiming at 24hr racing to aiming at XC and Marathons for short’ish rides, 100km or less, I can average 30-32kph solo with a decent amount of elevation (considering where I live) so around 500-800m at around 175 in Z2/3

I’m not big by any means (179cm 76kg) nor young (42) but can put out decent power when needed. I can also max out HR at 196bpm. I always have a small saddle bag, 1 or 2 bottles and a pump on my non-aero frame, do have 35mm deep wheels and top quality tyres though

jonba
    Free Member

It would be relatively easy to look at your kit.

As above, how aero are you. If you imagine looking at yourself head on how big is the area.

Position – upright is slow as a rule you need to be as aero as possible without compromising power/comfort.

Bike – loose cables, saddle bags pumps strapped on the side, bottle etc. can you tidy it up.

Clothes – tighter fitting clothes are a good bet.

You then get into spending money. Good tyres and tubes at the right pressure have lower rolling resistance. Wheels can help. Aero helmet and clothing generally designed to be more stream line.

Not sure how much help it is. But in this report there is a photo of me on my road bike in a TT racing position. I’m not massively stronger than other riders but I can hold this position for an hour or so. No aero bike or wheels (money!) but everything else that could cause drag is taken care of. Granted you can’t do this for a long ride (no bottles or kit would be risky) but you can think about what you need.

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-report/18255#anchor

After that it is hard work that makes you faster. Get to know what it feels like riding at your threshold. Know what you can do and ignore your body telling you it is a bad idea and you should ease off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Two things:

A little fitness goes a VERY long way on a road bike.

A little fitness takes a VERY long time to achieve!

There’s rules of thumb like the most you’ll achieve is 1% fitness gains per week (unless you’re an exception, like coming back from a break) even with a well structured training program. So getting 2mph quicker from 17-19mph is actually a good 20 weeks of training! But the average roadie doing a sunday clubrun and a couple of evening rides is already doing quite a lot of riding.

MTBers on the other hand, as a whole, we like pies, beer and faffing. If (made up statistic alert) 90% of roadies in a club are moderately fit, then 90% of MTBers who ride with mates (because we’re too cool for formal clubs) are barely fitter than the population at large. I bumped into some friends the other day who I’d not ridden with in ages, they probably ride 2x per week most of the year. 90% of my riding this year has been within the last 6 weeks (about 600 miles, mostly “gravel”), so I’m massively unfit, but have ‘form’ as I’d had a couple of days rest. I was leaving them for dead!

So yea, basically your friends are fitter than you. Even the most aero wheels on an aero frame (assuming you’re in a similar position to them) is worth only a few watts, maybe 5-10% at most if you were starting from a really bad bike as the baseline and a Venge as the other extreme.

Haze

As above, that doesn’t look anything like my ‘steady’ rides.

Crag
    Free Member

Looking at your ride up there, if you’re riding almost 15mph on a hilly route, you should be able to do 18mph on a flat ride over a similar distance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Junctions make an absolutely huge difference to your average speed. On my commute in Germany it was pancake flat, and at my best I could hold 42kph on the flat. There was one hill and four or five junctions in 18 miles, and one set of lights. My best average, when I caught the lights, was 33.2kph. The only time I’ve ever beaten 20mph average and that required luck, an extremely flat course and good form.

Although I don’t have aero wheels and I was wearing a small pack that sit quite flush to my back. And I don’t shave my legs.

Kryton57

Are they bigger than you? Much, much easier for a big person (even unfit) to roll along at a decent pace on the flat while the smaller, lighter rider is going flat out just to keep up.

TIs and what tbiker and molgrips said.  Yesterday i did 148k averaging 17.2mph trying to stay at 200w in my z2 . Actually averaged 167w.  BUT my club colleague is 20kg lighter than me and pointed out that 205w is the middle of his sweet spot, so he was having a harder day out than I was

ozric45
    Free Member

It’s the age old saying, it doesn’t get easier you just get faster.
    Getting faster takes training. Try to get yourself on a training plan and stick to it. Interval training done correctly will raise your functional power and get you faster.

avdave2

Much, much easier for a big person (even unfit) to roll along at a decent pace on the flat

Tell me about it, I’m 56kg and keeping up on the flat can be bloody hard work. I simply run out of power, heart rate may be ok but the legs just can’t generate any more force through the pedals. On the other hand I can hide behind someone else to great benefit and once the road goes up you actually see how fit people are.

bigyim
    Free Member

Op Ive got a months trial for trainer road if you want a proper training plan to get quicker and have a turbo trainer. Drop me a pm if you want to give it a whirl

trailwagger
    Free Member

Op Ive got a months trial for trainer road if you want a proper training plan to get quicker and have a turbo trainer. Drop me a pm if you want to give it a whirl

Thanks, I have a subscription already, along with zwift.
    Deep down I know its about fitness, I just thought I might be further along after 10 months of riding. Its not been structured riding, but has included plenty or regular time on the bike.
    This is after a period of about 3 years of sporadic riding. Previous to that I was a stone lighter and fitter from commuting 30 miles a day. Back then I could avg 20mph for an hour at I guess 80-90% effort.

I feel as fit as I did prior to the commuting, when 18mph avg felt fairly easy. Maybe its just old age, being 4-5 years older?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How to go Faster? Road Content’ is closed to new replies.