Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to fix this problem? Fresh plaster + filler = won't cover :-(
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m currently renovating/replacing the kitchen. Had the walls freshly boarded and skimmed. However, before painting I noticed a few nicks and cuts in the plaster that I filled with Ronseal Smooth Finish (all I had in the shed). The problem is now that they won’t cover over.

The photo below is after 2 coats of Leyland Super Leytex (which is specifically designed for fresh plaster) and 1 coat of normal white emulsion with a roller.

Tonight I’m thinking I’ll cover it with stain stop but before I do that, any other solutions?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d use a gloss/satin which I presume works the same way as stain stop.

McHamish
    Free Member

I can’t really see what it looks like in the first picture…is it that the surface seems to be different and the paint isn’t applied in the same way?

Or is a light brown/yellow stain coming through?

How old was the smooth over stuff? Was the consistency ‘wrong’?

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Bet you wish you’d left the nicks alone 🙂

Is the paint lifting or is that just showing through the paint?

What did it look like with just the Leytex applied?

dbcooper
    Free Member

That rontex stuff is awful. Dig it out and use Easyfill.
    http://www.diy.com/departments/gyproc-easi-fill-20-5kg/143938_BQ.prd

dooosuk
    Free Member

No staining. It’s just not covering. Paint applied in the same way over whole wall.

Looked just the same with just the leytex applied.

Smooth filler is a few months old but consistency seems fine and it applied well. No need to sand as it was smooth.

Too damn right I wish I’d left them but unfortunately there were a few too many on areas that aren’t going to be behind cupboards/tiles to leave them.

My options appear to be either:

Roller stain stop over the top.
    or
    Apply paint thicker with a brush rather than roller.

Digging it out isn’t an option. The wall is flat and smooth. If I dig it out is won’t be.

st

I’d guess that it’s the differing finishes absorbing the paint to varying extents.

I’d try a roller and another couple of coats of you chosen top coat locally before adding one or two final coats over the entire wall.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Dig/scrape it off, fill scrapes with easy fill. allow to dry for an hour or so, and then sand it flat. Wall will be flat and smooth again I promise. Its easy to sand, absolulty brilliant stuff, same texture as plaster skim and when you paint over it, it will dissapear. I use it all the time.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Just had the same problem with caulk used to correct the imperfections on a complete board and skim. Mist coats left the repairs showing, undiluted matt emulsion still left the caulk showing similar to yours. Painted over the caulk areas with a brush then applied a further 2 coats of emulsion and all tell tale signs are gone.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks craigxxl…sounds like I should just keep layering it up then.

McHamish
    Free Member

You mentioned above that you didn’t sand it as it was smooth enough…you could try sanding it before painting it again. Perhaps it’s just ‘glass’ smooth, and sanding it will give the paint a key.

Dig/scrape it off, fill scrapes with easy fill. allow to dry for an hour or so, and then sand it flat. Wall will be flat and smooth again I promise. Its easy to sand, absolulty brilliant stuff, same texture as plaster skim and when you paint over it, it will dissapear. I use it all the time.

As per this post…Easyfill is the best stuff for filling smoothing walls.

You can get a bag of it, with 5 individual sealed bags inside, all you do is put some water in a bucket, put a bag in a mix it. It’ll last 45 mins or so before it goes off. I used a mixer with my drill to mix it and it’s a doddle.

I used loads of it renovating our house, it applies easily (I preferred a 10″ wide taping knife to apply it). You can get it mostly smooth without sanding with a bit of practice, but it sands easily.

I skimmed a few walls and they look perfect.

The only downside is the dust gets everywhere…make sure you get a good mask.

johndoh
    Free Member

How dry were the new walls when you started to paint it all?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Walls had had 5 days to dry out and the colour had changed as expected.

I did lightly key the area before the last layer of emulsion but the filler specifically states that it doesn’t require sanding.

More coats required I think as per Craigxxl and mental note not to use this stuff again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to fix this problem? Fresh plaster + filler = won't cover :-(’ is closed to new replies.