Home Forums Chat Forum How the hell do you deal with Jehovah’s

Viewing 14 posts - 321 through 334 (of 334 total)
  • How the hell do you deal with Jehovah’s
  • mert
    Free Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/redditonwiki/s/jt5XXIthHE

Dunno if anyone’s posted that yet…

DrP

Ask them how many spaces there are in heaven .. then ask them how many JWs there are worldwide.
    Then suggest they should be DISCOURAGING people from wanting to join their religion based o the above 2 situations!

DrP

nickc

“Do your own research.”

Yeah, OK, touche. We get fed a whole bunch of ‘historical facts’ some of which are true, some of which are just the version of history that gets handed to us 4th, 5th 6th handed. The actual version of the medieval world is more nuanced than the Dennis the Peasant sketch. Feminism wasn’t anything like now obviously, but you’ve only to read the Wife of Bath from the Canterbury Tales to realise that women could and did exercise autonomy and freedom in a way that we would recognise, fully supported by laws, morals and the state.

ernielynch

Then suggest they should be DISCOURAGING people from wanting to join their religion based o the above 2 situations!

Not at all. According to Jehovah’s Witnesses the Lord’s Prayer, as taught to us by Jesus, very clearly states: “thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven”.

In other words Paradise will return to Earth as it was before The Fall.

There will be no need to go to Heaven as Paradise will be on Earth. A Workers Paradise I hope.

nickc

Science: Galileo was tried by the clerics and ended his life under house arrest. He was lucky, Bruno was burned alive

Interesting choice. Pope Urban who was pretty much on-board with the helio-centric model and wanted a work that gave evidence for both models, but wanted neither to be advocated for. Galileo then writes a book in which ‘Simplicio’  Translated as Simpleton by everyone in Italy and widely interpreted to be the Pope, was handed his arse in various arguments in his defence of geocenterism, I think most historians agree they they don’t think he did it on purpose, but Urban couldn’t really ignore the implied slight either. If you alienate your biggest sponsor… FAFO

slowoldman

Where on earth do you live where you class “locally” as 17 million people?

Are your maths correct?

nickc

Who knew the ancient Athenians were Christian?

Just after the first Civil War there was a series of discussions called collectively the Putney Debates in which they talked about how they should organise the Commonwealth. A very famous quotation emerged from Rainsborough, the spokesperson for the Levellers;

” …for really I thinke that the poorest hee that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest hee; and therefore truly, Sir, I thinke itt’s cleare, that every man that is to live under a Governement ought first by his owne consent to putt himself under that Governement; and I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put Himself under.”

By any measure of today, the folks discussing “one man one vote” and universal suffrage could be fairly described as religious fundamentalists. They banned dancing and Xmas FFS.

Cougar

Are your maths correct?

Apologies, I percentilled twice.  170,000.

Cougar

We get fed a whole bunch of ‘historical facts’ some of which are true, some of which are just the version of history that gets handed to us 4th, 5th 6th handed.

An interesting statement on a thread discussing religion. (-:

The actual version of the medieval world is more nuanced… women could and did exercise autonomy and freedom in a way that we would recognise, fully supported by laws, morals and the state.

Cards on the table, I have no idea. Aside from a few specific topics of interest, History is a subject upon which I’m somewhat embarrassingly poor. What you’re asserting here surprises me but other than googling to prove you right/wrong I have little reason to doubt.

scaled
    Free Member

Humanists UK used to send out little stickers for glass that read “Good without God”, seemed to work faily well.

Got to say though, the witnesses are always impeccably turned out, genuinely brings a bit of cheer and colour to my day when i seem them all dressed up.

funkmasterp

I’m just laughing at the image of Pope Urban. Covered in Jewelry, check. Colourful clothing and a snazzy hat, check. Could he be the world’s first Gangsta? Taking no shit from that Galileo with his diss track.

martinhutch

Ask them how many spaces there are in heaven .. then ask them how many JWs there are worldwide.

Apparently the 144,000 vacancies in heaven thing is not entirely true, it’s 144,000 slots to help rule the gaff, but the rest of us faithful get to live on an earthly paradise, which sounds OK to me, as the biking will probably be better down here, and I don’t fancy the paperwork and endless stand-up meetings with Jesus banging on about targets and quotas.

Edukator
    Free Member

you’ve only to read the Wife of Bath from the Canterbury Tales to realise that women could and did exercise autonomy and freedom in a way that we would recognise

Odd you should choose a damsel in distress (and prostitute) that gets saved from rape twice as a glowing example of autonomy and freedom.

And it is fiction!

ernielynch

but the rest of us faithful get to live on an earthly paradise,

Er, have you heard of the second coming ? Even Muslims accept that Jesus will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead.

Only the righteous will inherit the Earth !

Any stw posts that you might want deleted before Armageddon kicks off?

Viewing 14 posts - 321 through 334 (of 334 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.