Home Forums Bike Forum How Soon Will I Die? Rear Brake Content

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • How Soon Will I Die? Rear Brake Content
  • seriousrikk

So at some point it seems I have probably made a mess of my bike.

Went to realign the rear caliper after new pads and it became very quickly apparent that something was wrong while torquing the caliper back up. It won’t go above 5nm on my fairly rudimentary torque driver. Looking at it closer it seems that, as soon as I get to just under 5nm the aluminum threaded insert in the carbon post mount is moving slightly. I suspect I made a mess of things when I was doing a bolt check during a ride because something felt off and gave it too much wellie with my multi-tool…

Anyway. Seems fine at the moment and I did a fairly rapid ride in the peak yesterday like this with no movement – but it’s now very much in the back of my mind that something is wrong…

Will I die or will I get warning that I am about to die?

More importantly, anyone know if such a problem can be fixed? If so by whom?

NBD?

onehundredthidiot

Undo the other bolt and remove. Then pull up on the caliper see if the insert pulls out or shifts. If it does I’m sure you can get something/one to epoxy(?) it back in. If it doesn’t shift just ride.

seriousrikk

Thank, like that idea.

Gave it a go. Nothing shifted dramatically, but I was able to flex the caliper more than the front one which I tried the same thing on.

Probably be fine. Maybe I won’t put the 203mm rotors or four pot calipers on until I’ve had the frame looked at by someone. For the calipers that would mean a remove and refit which I expect will make issues worse! Meanwhile, just ride is going to be my plan.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.