Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How slow do you get in the mud?
  • D0NK

Went out for a spin last night, could not believe how much mincing I was doing. The moorland downhills I was flying down a couple of weeks ago in the dry (or atleast mildly damp) were taken slowly and clumsily. No speedo or timing so dunno how much slower I was but it felt dead slow. Better drained rocky/gravelly trails were closer to normal speeds, guess I need to brush up on my mud skills – looks like all last winter wasn't practice enough.

Is everyone like this? or do some of you just float over the mud?

racefaceec90

no,i'm slow in the mud too(but then i'm slow everywhere else too haha!!!

tinsy
    Free Member

Not much slower but I crash more.. or that a lot slower and I crash more I forget.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Mud? sorry I don't understand as I ride the Quantocks most of the time 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

I think maybe faster in some bits, where everything is covered in mud, so it doesnt look that technical. But other bits slower, just because of the dragging effect mud gives.

samuri
    Free Member

north moor land mud can be really difficult though. Not claggy like some of the clay stuff down south but so slippy you feel 90% of every pedal stroke has gone to waste.

Mud is what cross bikes were invented for, you can feel the speed difference when going through heavy mud although I guess that's just the narrower tyres.

GTDave
    Free Member

It's the sneaky hub-deep muddy patches that are covered with leaves that are the real sods.
    Thick, claggy, dont-put-your-foot-down-else-you-will-loose-your-shoe type stuff.

tinsy
    Free Member

GTDAVE… like this sort of mud? Nah didnt slow me down at all, I meant to go over the bars just there and land like a cat on all 4's, Would have probably slowed a lesser rider mind you..

D0NK

Gisburn mud can be tricky too tinsy, running landing tho if you're fast at unclipping 😉

Climbing and flat wasn't too bad at all, it was mainly the downs.

Oh and anyone else think 2.35 Nevegals are a bit twitchy in mud? Never actually lost it but slipped then 'caught' quite a few times, bonty mud on the back is a winner tho.

clubber
    Free Member

I actually quite enjoy riding in the mud which is a good thing seeing as I live in Bristol…

I don't think I'm much slower in the mud unless it's on steep/slow stuff where I don't really like to risk front wheel washouts.

tinsy
    Free Member

Lucky that tree was there to stop the bike betting muddy..

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I can confirm nevegals are terrible in mud.

*nurses scars*

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

semi slick (holly roller) rear

knobbly intermetiate (High roller) front

the back wheel skips about a bit at the momemnt.

lowey

You just need to get yourself a modicum of skill Donk… beginners eh, tsk tsk….

D0NK

😮

sharki
    Free Member

MUD????

jonb
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member

Mud? sorry I don't understand as I ride the Quantocks most of the time

Grrr I used to wonder what all the fuss was over mud tyres. Now I've done a Northumbrian winter it all makes sense.

Still May 2011, I have a Quantocks ride planned. It's not that I'm super organised but my Sister is getting Married Near Enmore and it would be incredibly rude not to take a bike when I'm a stones throw away.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I'm slow in all conditions.At least the mud gives me an excuse. I do enjoy riding in these condtions,but I don't enjoy the horrible grinding noises emanating from various parts of the bike,or the post-ride clean up operation.

slowrider
    Free Member

are you talking in general or dh? its bound to slow you up when its about pedal power but trying to ride dh as fast as in the dry is wicked, really wakes you up and builds some skillz. just dont be surprised if you crash a bit more than usual.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How slow do you get in the mud?’ is closed to new replies.