Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How private is Strava 'enhanced privacy mode'?
  • jackberesford
    Free Member

I’ve recently moved house to a remote area, and as there are only 2 houses within about a mile, the 500m privacy zone isn’t much use on hiding where I live from random people looking at my rides.
    I’ve changed to ‘enhanced privacy mode’ which according to Strava means only people I approve can see my rides, but it still seem to get kudos from random people every so often which suggests these rides aren’t private. Anyone got any idea if I’m still risking showing where I live to people who may be planning to relieve me of my bikes?

DickBarton

Anyone who is following you will still see your rides…so your rides will be seen but your privacy bit will remain hidden to everyone but you.
    Add more privacy boundaries?
    Unsure if you download someone else’s ride if that download goes straight to their start/stop points.

MrNice
    Free Member

are you a member of a club? I seem to be able to see rides of other people in the same club even though I don’t follow them and their rides are otherwise hidden. I’m sure I don’t see inside their privacy zone (fnar fnar).

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I also find if you are in the top 10 of the segments you can see the ride the person did to achieve the segment. Click on the time rather than the riders name and it shows the ride.

This included people who have privacy set on their profile so you cant see the details. The stupid thing is it shows the PRs and segment names so its not too difficult to search the segments and piece together the ride in question and whole ride and hence the start and finish. Not sure about the enhanced but I reckon it will be flawed if they allow the above already

br
    Free Member

add in the neighbourhood postcodes

dvatcmark
    Free Member

add in the neighbourhood postcodes

Makes no difference , it’ll only hide 500m around the start point if the ride starts within a privicy zone.

I had put in stacks of post codes to blanket the whole area , then found this out after I’d noticed my start point wasn’t as hidden as I hoped and did some reading up on how the privicy works

STATO
    Free Member

Enhanced privacy only stops people seeing your profile. If you do a segment (regardless of your position) then ANYONE can see that ride by clicking on the date in the ranking. If you dont want anyone to see your rides, keep them private and you stay off the leaderboards. The point of strava IS leaderboards, so it will always be the case.

If you want to keep using strava leaderboards AND hide your home, manually edit the rides to cut a mile off the start and end.

jackberesford
    Free Member

Ok cheers, sounds like I need to start cropping the start/end of my rides.
    Unless anyone knows if it’s possible to increase the size of the privacy area?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How private is Strava 'enhanced privacy mode'?’ is closed to new replies.