• This topic has 80 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • How often do you do it?
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

From the house it would be 18 miles each way, but I have to drop the kids at school 7 miles away so I put the bike in the car, park there and ride the 11 to and from the office.

I’d do it more often if it wasn’t part of my work to go out to client’s houses and it wasn’t such a geographically large ‘patch’. I try and plan an ‘office’ based day once a week and ride in. If I plan my client visits well and have a day close to the office, I will ride in and go between client visits on the bike. I do that less often as it’s a faff.

ourmaninthenorth

brack – I wasn’t clear. What I meant was: it doesn’t *add* to fitness (unless I use it as interval training, in which case my legs just ache 7 days a week).

About 18-20 miles each way would be ideal. That would be 180-200 miles a week, which would definitely have a fitness benefit. I can see that in a friend who, as aresult of his 18 mile each way daily commute is as stong as an Ox and already pretty fit at this time of year. I’m not looking forward to him giving me a battering on tonight’s street-lit road ride!

orangeboy
    Free Member

18 mailes each way try to do it twice a week , but a bit less since christmas

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

45 miles – at the moment I cycle about 3 (if that) and catch the train for the rest. I’m thinking about going in the car most of the way with my husband and cycling the remaining 18 miles.

Leftyboy – how long does it take you to do 18 miles on your ss and what ratio are you running and how hard do you ride??

I like the fact that accordingly to ourmaninthenorth I could be as strong as an Ox if I did it everyday! (the idea of it is much funnier if you know me!) The only thing is I don’t want to spend hours doing it everyday…

Macinblack
    Free Member

10 miles each way, four times a week, 75% of it off road. Only howling gales really put me off (or this week where they’ve turned off the showers to get rid of things that should not be.)

owenfackrell
    Free Member

9 miles each way 5 days a week plus i pick up my daughter from nusery 1 day a week which adds 2 ish miles and all the added weight of a trailer.
    I intend to take longer ways home when it is lighter in the evenings as it gets a bit depressing riding in the dark all the time (which might be why i can never motivate myself to go out for a night ride).

51mon
    Free Member

8.5 miles each way, 5 days a week, rain or shine!
    Quicker than driving or public transport.

crispybacon
    Free Member

My commute is 15 miles each way across the Devon/Cornwall border. However due to the poor country roads with no lighting etc I don’t commute during the winter months as IMHO it is far too dangerous & Mrs B will not allow me too and I always do as I’m told :o)

In the Summer months I try to ride in 3 or 4 times a week to build up my fitness & on the other day I play 5-a-side for an hour. I try to have a combined commuting time of less than 2 hours & I have managed to achieve this to date. I have also noticed that I am far happier & less stressed in work when I commute? perhaps it’s just me.

daveb
    Free Member

9 miles each way, only a couple of times a week and should do it far more often.

plecostomus
    Free Member

8 mile each way, mainly b roads until i get to the crappiest stretch of road to take me into beautiful wolverhampton

plecostomus
    Free Member

oh and 4 days a week.

pennine
    Free Member

11 miles each way – twice a week. Crosses urban Bradford on major roads so not very scenic 🙁

I’m almost at work, he’s got another 10 miles or so!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Are we doing pics too?
    I Can See You, Can You See Me?

Quickest shortest 15.8 miles but I most often use the wonderful Bristol Bath Railway Path which makes it 17.2. On summer mornings or evenings it often get’s further extended, I think my longest ride home was 200k (130miles)

How often depends on all sorts of things, but currently averaging 3 days per week, often 5 during the summer.

I found out just before Christmas though that I’m being posted to Yeovilton Air Station for 6 months from mid feb (about 38 miles)- hoping to perhaps ride home and in a couple of days a week.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Bed 2 desk – 14 paces. No bike obviously.
    For work – up to 300 miles per week.
    For fun – whatever I manage.

radoggair
    Free Member

40 mile commute(round trip) which i do 5 or 6 days a week, the ice was tough and leaving the house at 4:50am is also tough but after 0 minutes i’m warm enough. After i finish work i also do a 10km run and 30-40 lengths at the pool before my commute home., and obviously do the whole mountain biking thing on days off ( unless i feel like a road trip which would prob be another 70-90 miles, depending on weather)

will
    Free Member

1.7 miles each way lol. 5 days a week, takes me 7 mins from door to door

theginjaninja
    Free Member

9 ish miles each way. East Dulwich to Camden. 5 times a week usually unless I have a meeting in Oxford.

Love it, plus I could never afford to use public transport to get to work.

leftyboy
    Free Member

MountainMonkey

Sorry misseed your question, 8.5 miles takes 32 minutes using a 45/16 combo

ourmaninthenorth

5 miles each way. 5 days pw.

As of next week, I shall be up early to turn it into c20 miles in, 5 miles home.

Need to increase the miles and decrease the amount of flab on me..!

xcstu
    Free Member

15 miles each way and everyday for the last 6 months (including when it snowed)… Kingston to London (islington)

just been made redundant so that has ended that….I now get to have a rest 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

15 miles each way along narrow country lanes crossing the Quantock Hills (about 1500ft of climbing each way), but working 12 hour shifts with the best part of an hours ride at either end makes for a longish day so I haven’t done it since about November/December.

rOcKeTdOg

15 miles each way, going,mostly downhill, 45-50mins, back, mostly uphill, 110-115mins 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

4 miles each way
    5 times a week for the past 2.5 years

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

7 miles each way, 5 times a week (6 or 7 if I work at the weekends, but that’s not happened since the recession that we’re not allowed to call a recession) really liking the lighter mornings and evenings, spring is on the way!!

acjim
    Free Member

18 miles each way, 2-4 times a week. Lovely country roads (almost tracks tbh) and then the city. It’s amazing how much you notice the air pollution once you enter the urban zone *cough*

I can’t seem to get past a week without my bike needing maintenance at the moment which is a pita (hubs then gears then brakes then argh!)

SimpleDumbPilot
    Free Member

0.7 miles home to work – 5 days a week, home for lunch; so 14 miles a week, all weathers, only walk if bike being ‘fixed’.
    Sounds a bit jey compared to all the big willies waving around in previous posts, although I always ‘send it’ off a cheeky kerb on the way home and occasionally hop through a set of bollards if I’m feeling especially bodacious!

Filthy
    Free Member

10 miles and never yet, although I am thinking about it. Been thinking about it for about a year now but the train goes there anyway and is warm and dry.

simondbarnes

30 miles each way. Ride it between 1 and 5 days a week. Can extend it if I want to and occasionally do.

Pickers

32 lumpy miles each way. Done twice this year so far.

roundwheels
    Free Member

80 mile round trip ,come the light nights I plan on taking car halfway just as a tester and maybe if it ok more often

mudpot
    Free Member

24 miles each way, once a week

druidh
    Free Member

Commute?

Work?

What are these concepts?

ski
    Free Member

7 miles each way, 5 days a week

Been loving it for the last 5 years

Might come to the end of my commuting life soon, job does not look that healthy 🙁

timber

I’m gradually living further and further from work, and riding in less and less, gone from 4 miles each way every day to 10 once a week and now 17 rarely and sometimes after a flat out day in the woods, all I can manage is to freewheel, which won’t get me home – weak, must ride more

head warden rides everyday, in EVERY weather, won’t take a lift, not even when the wipers can’t clear the windscreen quick enough – proper hippy

markenduro
    Free Member

12.5 miles each way, currently 5 days a week, need to get some miles in as doing almost everythining this year including enduro6, bikeradar, scottish ctc, sleepless solo. Think it’s starting to pay off, gave my mate a bit of a kicking on tonights night ride.

philly5
    Free Member

1 mile and I have wheels on my toolbox but even that discourages me!

Paceman
    Free Member

13 miles each way, do it 3-4 times a week, less in mid-winter.

oldgit
    Free Member

Couple of miles & never, sadly I need the car for work.

In the olden days I did Hemel Hempstead to North London every day and that was good enough to keep me racing. Ahh ever-ready and Wonder lights is’nt it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

all the big willies waving around in previous posts It’s hardly ‘willy waving’, the question was asked and the answers given. Should we have to make apologies for having long commutes?

juan
    Free Member

depends which station I am going.
    If I get the 7h25 express train from Cannes to Nice (Cannes is a small town not too far from Nice) it’s around 13kms. And then I have a couple of Kms from Nice central station to the university.

If (like I have been doing the last two weeks to try to see the pretty woman who sat in front of me and smiled :oops:) I take the 7h29 cross country service to Nice (calling at every station) It’s only 8kms.

And then the way back.

I do it at least 4 times a week sometimes 5.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘How often do you do it?’ is closed to new replies.