Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How often do I need to Top up the Stans in my tyres?
  • drofluf
    Free Member

Went tubeless about 6 months ago – should I be thinking of topping up the fluid?

I can’t hear anything sloshing around but then I couldn’t when I converted

wwaswas

do you still get a bit of liquid sealant out of the valve if you open it?

if not it’s probably dried up.

JoeG
    Free Member

I typically add 1 oz to each tire about once a month. The sealant does dry out, and if there is no liquid sealant in the tire it won’t seal a puncture. The sealant dries faster in hot weather, or if regularly kept inside a car warmed by the sun or similar.

The Stan’s injector syringe and core remover tool aren’t necessary, but make the job very quick and easy.

mrelectric

I went tubeless with Stans 10 months ago and ride most days; no probs. I didn’t think it needed any top up until I got a sidewall puncture. Dosed it up again twice & all fine again. Probably need to do the front now…I’ll be doing it more regularly now.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve had Stans fluid separate – part of it forms a latex ball which just rolls around inside the tyre and the other half is super watery and useless for sealing anything. That was after about 5 months. So even if there’s still liquid inside the tyre it doesn’t mean it’s going to seal.

jonba
    Free Member

take the wheel off and shake it a bit. Listen to see if you can hear the liquid sloshing around? Depends on the tyre and the amount of punctures you’ve had sealed. 6-10 weeks for me. Normally top up as a preventative measure on my ss but check properly on my nice bike.

theotherjonv

how much do you top up with? I assume not much, if you’re topping up every 6 weeks! Otherwise your tyres must weigh a ton.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Once a year top up, I just buy a small bottle, I think 125ml and put half in each tyre.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

mine had been on for a year. Took it off tonight and found the sealant all dried but a yellow coloured clear liquid swimming around. Cleaned out, new sealant job done.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ghetto tubeless for months and I put my 2.5 dual ply tyres on for an Alps week. On returning and changing back to my “non Alp tyres” I found my sealant had turned into two rubber balls, one in each tyre.

The sealant was probably in for no more than three weeks. High rollers, used ona previous trip so not covered in “talc”

The previous tyres had been on for months too and there was still plenty of sealant in them.

Not sure how hot things got out there but a few weeks! It had all one. Glad I didn’t puncture.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

2 things for me:

1- The tyre – some are way way more “evaporative” (is that a word?) than others.

2- The temp the wheels are stored in.

So a Rubber Queen in a warm shed will dry out in a few weeks. A TL Nobbly Nic could be 6 months over the winter.

Only thing to do is take them off and give them the “stans shake”. If you can hear sloshing you’re probably good. All quiet? – time to top up. Anyway – this works for me.

Northwind

Aye, if you can hear a bit of splosh then they’re probably fine. I never top mine up, though, never had to- tyres either wear out or get swapped before it’s neccesary.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How often do I need to Top up the Stans in my tyres?’ is closed to new replies.